Getzen 4047DS any experiences?

MTbassbone

Getzen 4047DS any experiences?

Post by MTbassbone »

Has anyone had experience with the Getzen 4047DS? Spill the beans please? How does it compare to the Yamaha YSL-822OR? Any other similarities with other horns out there?
tombone21

Re: Getzen 4047DS any experiences?

Post by tombone21 »

I played one recently. It felt like a very even and consistent Bach, with the sterile sound that made Edwards famous. The CR-E valve felt well-matched to the rest of horn, though. Very similar to a Yamaha 882OR in my opinion. Plays really well with a Griego 55.
Let's see what other strangers on the internet think. :idk: :idk: :idk:
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Christen Griego has stated very clearly that the Getzen 4047DS was designed to play just like a good Bach 42. His goal was to produce the "mythical Bach-style trombone" without all of the inconsistencies associated with the Bach brand. Being that the YSL-882OR was designed to compete with the Bach 42, those horns should have similarities.

I really like how the 4047DS plays. I have never bought one because I prefer the flexibility of removable leadpipe trombones. However.....if I were forced to choose a .547 bore trombone with a fixed leadpipe, the 4047DS would likely be my choice.

Unlike tombone21, I don't think that all Edwards horns have a sterile sound. Several months ago, I stumbled upon a combination of Edwards components that feels wonderful and sounds absolutely awesome to me and in a concert hall. I just had to be patient and figure out the modular puzzle. This Edwards horn sounds as good or better than my Bachs.....and I have a some killer Bach horns!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I have an acquaintance who had a very nice Bach 42B from the 70s I believe, which really played great and open. I don't know if the ports had been opened, but he said it was really good, and he's mainly a bass trombone player.

He later got a 4047DS and said it was better than the Bach in just about every way.

I've played on various Edwards and Getzen trombones before, and never found them to be "sterile".
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:45 pm I have an acquaintance who had a very nice Bach 42B from the 70s I believe, which really played great and open. I don't know if the ports had been opened, but he said it was really good, and he's mainly a bass trombone player.

He later got a 4047DS and said it was better than the Bach in just about every way.

I've played on various Edwards and Getzen trombones before, and never found them to be "sterile".
Perhaps he badly worded it? My Edwards plays very bright and clear, seems like that’s what he meant by sterile.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

I meant sterile as in free from contamination or filters. A sonically-blank canvas, if you will, onto which we float our tone on an ocean of air.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Edwards horns let me just play. I can do a lot with what it gives me to work with

Looks like this Getzen horn is sort of rare. Only Dillon's has one.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

A friend has one of the Getzen`s. In a Trombone Quartet rehearsal we compared sounds.
2 play 88H`s, Bass Conn 112H, I play a Bach 42BO (Lone man out)
One of the guys was given the Getzen (a friend passed away)
Now these are just our general observations
Playing the Getzen by it`s self for the other 3 players, we all agreed the sound didn`t have the "personality"
of the 88H`s or 42BO. Not as many basic overtones in the sound.
But...
When played in the ensemble (and this was with each of the Tenor players trying it.
the sound was wonderful within the ensemble. It seemed to "Come Alive" so to speak
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:53 am Edwards horns let me just play. I can do a lot with what it gives me to work with

Well, the "Custom Reserve" horns are a bit more pricey, so only a few places carry them. Hornguys have the 4147IB model, and can probably order the 4047DS, though right now I think the factory is shut down, so no one is getting anything from Getzen / Edwards.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:19 am
harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:53 am Edwards horns let me just play. I can do a lot with what it gives me to work with

Well, the "Custom Reserve" horns are a bit more pricey, so only a few places carry them. Hornguys have the 4147IB model, and can probably order the 4047DS, though right now I think the factory is shut down, so no one is getting anything from Getzen / Edwards.
Edwards will be reopening on the 29th!

Source: https://www.edwards-instruments.com/new ... y-june-29/

Return to “Instruments”