New family member - Conn 112h

MStarke

New family member - Conn 112h

Post by MStarke »

My trombone family has grown - I just got a second bass.

I have been playing my Jahn Throja since 2005 or 2006.
It's a large dual bore slide, independent rotors. Really great for large orchestral playing, among others I played third in the Alpine Symphony and in "Ring without words" on it in the last years. Also great for other purposes, but physically quite demanding.
Now mostly for fun reasons I wanted to have a second bass that's clearly different.

So I found this older Conn 112h that just arrived today.
I had heard some mixed opinions before, but somehow felt it might fit.

It does have some features that are different than the newer ones which made it interesting for me.
What I have seen is that the valve wrap and also valves look different and it has this Minick-style cross brace.

It might need some mechanical improvement at some point, but right now it's very very playable.

So how does it play?

It's very responsive all over the horn.
Nice "velvety" dark sound, but quite flexible.
Feels really easy to play, much more tenor-like than my Throja.
Of course that's also a mouthpiece choice etc.
Ergonomically it's a little bit heavy too the back, but no problem. The bell is relatively close to the face which needs a bit of awareness on the slide positions for me.
Overall my first impression is that for me it is a great addition. For large orchestra stuff I will stick to the Throja, but I really like the variation. The Conn may be my future choice for bigband or smaller ensemble stuff and just fun to practice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
MStarke

Re: New family member - Conn 112h

Post by MStarke »

Oh and I forgot one point:
One of my altos will have to leave the family now...
Keeping my wife happy ;-)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h

Return to “Instruments”