Which to sell: YSL-352 or -354?

brumpone

Which to sell: YSL-352 or -354?

Post by brumpone »

Seeing 2 Yamahas on eBay at the same time I bid on both, not wishing to miss out on both - and won both! Thankfully at a price that I expected I wouldn't make a loss moving either on.

1 is a YSL-352, has what may be quite a low serial no (3000xx) and was kept in fairly immaculate condition in its original case by its sole previous owner. There are some scratches and tarnishing, a very small ding in the tuning slide, and some wear on one of the slide inners - but the slide moves very well with slide lube. My previous experience was the pBone my wife bought me so I would have a hobby that wasn't keyboard based, so the upgrade was a dream! I don't have enough experience to give it an out-of-ten score.

The other is a YSL-354, quite new, and hardly touched, it seems. It has a few scratches and a tiny crease on one of the inners. I have only just been able to collect it from a friend who lived near the seller.

I play at home only - always with a Silent Brass now I'm in a flat [apartment] in a small block. I don't have time to take lessons or play in a group right now. I don't need both, so I'm interested in moving one of them on, but not in a rush to do so.

What thoughts do TC members have about which would be the right one to sell? Are folks attracted to the 362, or would a nearly-new 364 be more appealing?

Also, any recommendations for techs in/around Birmingham (UK) who could look at the slide?

Thanks!
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Which to sell: YSL-352 or -354?

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

It has been several years since I have worked on the earlier model (YSL-352). There are a few parts on the 352, particularly on the inner slide, that are no longer available. I remember rebuilding a 352 inner slide with some 354 parts. The parts didn't quite match and it took a little creativity and extra labor to make things work.

My recommendation is to keep the YSL-354 because the parts are presently available. You never know what can happen to an instrument. I always find it reassuring to own instruments for which replacement parts still exist.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Find some place to play them both unmuted: you may find that without the boat anchor one sings for you and the other doesn't. In that case, sell the one that doesn't. If they're both about the same, what C4Tb86 said.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

sungfw wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:34 pm Find some place to play them both unmuted: you may find that without the boat anchor one sings for you and the other doesn't. In that case, sell the one that doesn't. If they're both about the same, what C4Tb86 said.
Good idea. Brumpone, if you do this, I suggest putting the horns together then blindfolding yourself and have a buddy hand you each horn in turn, not telling you which one you are playing. That way you are less biased in your evaluation - if you think or hope that one will play better than the other, it probably will if you know it is the one you are playing. Also, you will get the opinion of somebody else on how they sound. Good luck!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

Maybe ask for a repairer recommendation at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire? They seem to have a very active brass dept.
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Return to “Instruments”