Screw bell buzzing

Elow

Screw bell buzzing

Post by Elow »

So i have a eastman double horn with a cut bell. Yes, not a trombone, but it’s not a problem with the horn. I play without the flare screwed on and i don’t hear a buzz, but the first note with the flare screwed on is all buzz. Also does anyone know if eastman cuts their own bells or if it’s aftermarket. The horn looks pretty new, but the conversion job is less than perfect. There’s solder everywhere on the flare and the the female part is only like half soldered on. I know one of our guys didn’t do it because he would’ve never left that much solder or done such a sloppy job.
Gary

Re: Screw bell buzzing

Post by Gary »

Are the screw threads lubricated?
Elow

Post by Elow »

Gary wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:16 pm Are the screw threads lubricated?
Just put some tuning slide grease and it helped a lot thanks
Gary

Post by Gary »

Sure!
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Do not lubricate the screw threads. Grease will attract and hold dirt, and will eventually make the ring stick. It sounds like the screw ring installation could be the problem. Have a tech look at it.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

hornbuilder wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm Do not lubricate the screw threads. Grease will attract and hold dirt, and will eventually make the ring stick. It sounds like the screw ring installation could be the problem. Have a tech look at it.
What about a dry lubricant like graphite?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Backbone wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 pm
hornbuilder wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm Do not lubricate the screw threads. Grease will attract and hold dirt, and will eventually make the ring stick. It sounds like the screw ring installation could be the problem. Have a tech look at it.
Actually, paraffin wax is a better treatment for the screw threads. Also for slide lock rings. Rub a candle against the threads. Also less likely to make the ring stick.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:50 pm
Backbone wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Actually, paraffin wax is a better treatment for the screw threads. Also for slide lock rings. Rub a candle against the threads. Also less likely to make the ring stick.
Scented or un-scented? J/K! :pant:
Thanks for the info.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

Take a pencil and trace the threads. You’ll be set. Graphite, as someone else said.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

This is a unique problem. Normally, screw rims get dropped or the bell flare bumps into something and the threaded area gets out of round or the some of the threads get a little smashed. It sounds like your threading is in good shape and the screw rim goes on easily.

It could be that the original threads were not cut to the correct tolerances and the fit is a little loose. If that is the case, the paraffin wax does sound like a good solution. Paraffin is used by many woodwind techs on cork tenons because it allows slow, steady movement but does not attract as much dirt as a tuning slide/cork grease.

Even with paraffin, I recommend that you wipe the threads clean and reapply frequently. Even though paraffin attracts less dirt, it WILL collect dirt. The dirt/paraffin mix will become a grit that will chew into the metal and make the threads become more loose over extended time. Clean frequently!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
DonH

Post by DonH »

You can buy Graphite in a small tube. Any hardware or locksmith. I've used it for quite a few years now with no problem. It's what Horn players use too-

Return to “Instruments”