Yamaha 891z or HN White 3B

mickael57280

Yamaha 891z or HN White 3B

Post by mickael57280 »

Hi, dilemma there.

I'm an amateur big band and combo player and can't make my mind between a new Yamaha 891z I can have for 25% less than regular price that I can pick near home or an HN White 3B from DJ.

3B is half the price of the Yamaha.

Thing is DJ listed the 3B with excellent slide but don't know what to expect to an 50 years old horn, with the yamaha I know it's a new modern horn with fantastic slide.

All opinions welcome.
Trevorspaulding376

Re: Yamaha 891z or HN White 3B

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

Of those 2 I’d go hn white 3b

Half the price , do I thin Yamaha is double the horn to account for the value? Nope

Both are comparable, I’ve had both. Good horns , the 891z didn’t do too much for me though personally.

3bs can be variable had some great ones and some just ok ones , but the hn white era horns are a good vintage , for the bang for the buck I’d go that route.

Other horns to consider would be a 16m, Getzen 3508, dual bore Bach 16

I had a dual bore 3508 at one point that I thought was a phenomenal horn.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Picking out a 3B is an adventure!!!!
They vary a lot
Some players find them resistant
We have pulled the leadpipes and widened the slide
The most popular one in Miami is the Loopy Ropy engraving pattern It seems to have a very solid sound
and will hold up to any amount of volume also blends well
In a horn section
There are thinner bell types w more flex
And some very stubborn quirky ones that make you determined to tame a ride
Once I made acquaintance of a TV orchestra player
Who asked if I thought he was nuts because he played
four different 3Bs. Well I grew to understand this
Recently I had a 3b sonic put together with an 891 slide
Wow 😮
The 891 is probably more even playing cleaner more consistent while the 3B has more spice
Especially the oldies
I was playing a 1960 g bell 3B then fell upon a 58
It was really hard to play too but I toughed it out for a few months finally I liked it
So just for kicks I picked up the g60
Ha couldn’t get a note out of it !!!!!!!
Rodney Lancaster is a 3B guy 100%
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

IMO, easiest answer of all time... 3B. 891 isn't a bad horn, just a bit easier to play, quite boring unless you get a stellar one.

3B plays easily, sounds great, and is cheaper? 3B.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

It’s your money, your choice.

When I bought new, I bought the 891Z. With the right mouthpiece, it’s the best production horn I’ve ever played. Easy to control, big sound, good feel, colorful, versatile, just....fun. I like it more than any 3B I’ve ever had, and that kinda makes sense; it’s based on the 3B.

DJ is going to do you right. Whatever you end up with from him will be a great match for your needs. But I wouldn’t hand over my Z for anything.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

If DJ states a horn has a great slide, then it has a great slide

You play for fun, it's your money buy whatever you want, buy the z if you don't like it you will get most of your money back, buy an HN white 3b don't like it, you will get all of your money back if you sell it

For me it would be a 3b from DJ
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

I have both, they are both phenomenal horns.
My 3B is early 70's and was the first horn I ever purchased new from my paper round money.
The Yammy has the edge though just because it's mechanically perfect and has no quirks especially with the NY lead pipe!!!

You can't go wrong with either but it might be easier to find a Yammy that blows great as they are very consistent :good:
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

Vegasbound wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:18 am If DJ states a horn has a great slide, then it has a great slide
My experience, too, and I've bought about half a dozen horns from him. He's trustworthy :good:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Not to complicate things, but the Shires MD+ is a really fine 50x bore. 3bs are variable, but the MD+ was probably the best horn of that size I've ever played.

But of the 891 and a 3b with a great slide, I have to agree, take the 3b with a great slide. 891 is a pretty great horn too, but not twice as great.
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Buy a 3B Concert with excellent slide from DJ today, now just waiting it arrive at home.

Have you experience which lube work best with vintage horns?
Trombotine like or Yamaha purple bottle like ?

Will play with my 6.5A, think it will be a great all around axe.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

mickael57280 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:12 am Buy a 3B Concert with excellent slide from DJ today, now just waiting it arrive at home.

Have you experience which lube work best with vintage horns?
Trombotine like or Yamaha purple bottle like ?

Will play with my 6.5A, think it will be a great all around axe.
Trombotine
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Ok thank you
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

I once had both a '61 HN White 3B and an 891Z.

The 3B had a complex and interesting sound, but was hard to play. I had to be aware of and work around some quirks sometimes common with vintage horns. Most annoying were the uneven response in different registers and some annoying pitch inconsistencies. It was in outstanding original condition and had the one piece leadpipe.

For me, my 891z had none of those issues and a solid 90% of the sound of the 3B. This was heard both by my ears and those of my colleagues. I also preferred the more centered feel offered by the NY pipe and wasn't keen on hacking up that 3B to be able to try other pipes.

I didn't choose music as a primary career, but I take my playing as seriously as I can and have been able to earn my way into a few of the highest level ensembles my corner of the world has to offer. I'm lucky to get 90 minutes per day to practice. I'm primarily a bass trombonist, so most of my daily practice and 90% of the calls I get (remember those?) are for bass.

So, when I do get a job where I need to play small tenor, it's far and away more important to me to be able to pick up the horn I probably haven't practiced in a while and sound good right away. That's worth more to me than the extra 10% in sound "quality" the 3B offered.

I sold the 3B to someone who plays it everyday and sounds great on it.

If small tenor was my main thing, I'd have likely kept the 3B. I kind of miss it sometimes, in part because always thought it was kind of cool that it was made about 45 minutes from my house. But, I don't regret my decision. The 891z is the right tool for the jobs I need to do with it.
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

Thank you all, will receive my late 70's Bell section with 90's slide mid septembre.

Can't wait.

Return to “Instruments”