Infinity axial valve

BoomtownRath

Infinity axial valve

Post by BoomtownRath »

Hi,

Has anyone played on the new infinity axial valve and if so how does it compare playing-wise with the older axial thayer valve. The design from an engineering perspective of the axial infinity valve by instrument innovations using bearings is a great improvment and should decrease maintenance significantly but I'm curious as to how it plays compared to the older design.

Boomtown.
Burgerbob

Re: Infinity axial valve

Post by Burgerbob »

None of the axial/Thayer valves play exactly the same to begin with, so it's hard to find a starting place.

I'd say they feel a little less "wide open" than a less-sealing aluminum Thayer or Edwards axial.

Since they are heavier in construction, it's more centered as well. To tell the truth they miss a couple aspects that I really like about Thayers.

But- they are better in almost all other ways, not the least of which is longevity and availability of parts.

I am having a set made for my Bach yellow bells as we speak.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
btone

Post by btone »

I can't disagree with anything Aidan said; I like the one on my 42af, but was initially struck by the fact that it's a tighter blow through the valve, trigger pedals or low trigger range specifically, than a Shires tenor Thayer.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

And there is a pretty big difference (IMO!) between the ones installed by Bach and ones built by a good tech.

I've played a 42AFG, and I have my tech's personal "42AFG" that he built himself. The valve on the tech-made instrument is quite open, very fast, feels great. The one on the stock horns can feel pretty good, but I've never met one that played this well.

Same thing goes for the basses. I've only played one 50AF3 that was really stellar- every other, maybe 7 or 8 have been mediocre to awful.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The infinity valve removed a lot of the installation problems that Bach had with the previous OE Thayer valves, especially during the early production of the 42T, mainly regarding end play of the valve when in the casing. I had problems with my 42T for years before having it fixed. When the valve wears out, I'm probably going to have them put in the olsen/infinity valve.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, like I said, they have other issues now. I'm not sure exactly what they are.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

Thanks for the info guys!!
jonathanharker

Post by jonathanharker »

Sorry I'm late to this party, but does anyone know if this "Infinity" axial valve is the same as the Olsen "precision" axial valve described by Olsen's US patent 7910815?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Infinity valves are Olsen axial valves, yes.
jonathanharker

Post by jonathanharker »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:52 pm Infinity valves are Olsen axial valves, yes.
Excellent, cheers. All fodder for the trombone-related Wikipedia rewrite of 2022...!

Return to “Instruments”