Yamaha YBL-613H S Mouthpiece Insertion Depth

tbonesullivan

Yamaha YBL-613H S Mouthpiece Insertion Depth

Post by tbonesullivan »

Yep, I've seen the thread before, and I'm making my own. I just picked up a nice condition Yamaha YBL-613H in Silver plate from Dillon, and it's really quite nice. Plays really well, good condition etc. The only thing I did notice is that my mouthpieces fit in about 3-4mm farther into the receiver than on my other Yamaha Bass, my YBL-612 RII.

I kinda figured that they were from the same era and "generation" of Yamaha design, the depth would be similar. I looked at the receiver, and didn't see any signs of damage. It's even still got the silver plating intact.

I just wanted to see if this is something other people have encountered.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
marccromme

Re: Yamaha YBL-613H S Mouthpiece Insertion Depth

Post by marccromme »

Yes. Seen different insertion depth before in various horns. But does it matter? I mean, if the horn plays well, and the mouthpiece does not wiggle, why care about it?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I've heard of that as well. Someone couldn't use a Monette in that same model because it fit in too far.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Yep. Look where the leadpipe actually starts on that horn. It isn’t right at the receiver but a little further down. So standard mouthpieces fit a little deeper. That does change how a horn plays. Mouthpiece engagement is something most people don’t pay attention too.
Does the horn play well with your mouthpiece?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Thanks everyone for the comments! It DOES play quite well, and has both a G and Gb crook, so I'm really looking forward to experimentation. Most importantly, the valve lever ergonomics are identical to my other Yamaha Bass, which makes it very easy for me to hold and use.

I am of course a bit OCD and always wondering if something has a problem. The horn is in very good shape. I also do remember trying out King Duo Gravis horns and watching my Bach 1 1/2G almost fall into the receiver. I just assumed that Yamaha would use a standard insertion depth for all of their horns.

The leadpipe is part number D2530700 M'PIPE ASS'Y YBL813UG , which is the same leadpipe for the 813 and the current 830. I think the slide itself is probably identical on many of the models.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

^that is something great about Yamaha. Really consistent across the horns.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:51 pm ^that is something great about Yamaha. Really consistent across the horns.
Yep! Also means that if I ever needed a part, I can get one, as they often are still using them. The 613 I just received has had the G/Gb paddle adjusted slightly, and if I can't have it somehow bend back into the regular place, that little paddle is the same exact one they use on the current YBL-620G, which they currently make.

So if for some reason they aren't able to put it back to stock, they can always just get a brand new one. However I seriously doubt they won't be able to bend it back.

Return to “Instruments”