Bach TB400B .547 Your thoughts

Model34

Bach TB400B .547 Your thoughts

Post by Model34 »

Does anyone have an opinion, or experience with this model?
Last edited by Model34 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbonesullivan

Re: Bach TB400B .547

Post by tbonesullivan »

Are you looking at new or used? Honestly I'd just pick up a used professional level .547 horn. Bach Trombones are priced higher than equivalent models from other companies.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Model34

Post by Model34 »

That’s $749 new from Amazon via Quinn the Eskimo. And available for $699 New directly from Quinn, an authorized Bach dealer.
Elow

Post by Elow »

You can probably get a much better used yamaha 448 for that. 548s are good if you want an open wrap.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Hmm. :idk:

Bach's "List Price" is supposedly $2,670; "Street Price" by some retailers is $2,150.

Apparently these prices mean nothing if Quinn can sell new ones for $699!

Sometimes Quinn's prices are true bargains.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Elow wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:10 pm You can probably get a much better used yamaha 448 for that. 548s are good if you want an open wrap.
I thought I was a died-an-true straight horn only for life kind of guy! BUT, now in my 66th year on Tbone, my right shoulder is telling me to stop reaching for 6 & 7th. I’m being forced to add this to my long list of “Usta coulds”
To wit, a trigger. I tried an 88H at my local music store in 1958. I couldn’t stand how stuffy it was in trigger. Likewise the valve seriously interfered with the tonal purity of a straight horn. Still does. I know some horns finally have straight thru valves, Conn and Shires, but I haven’t had an opportunity to try them. And I’ve noticed that valves and wraps have improved. So, grudgingly I’m going to try out horns with triggers. I’ll attempt to try the models you mention, but used is normally a no return situation, I’m forced to go new where returns are possible. At 75, with a long list of comorbidity factors, I’m not going anywhere in person until a vaccine. Oh, I live in Petri Dish City, Florida. And I’m trying to continue the living part, although duets with Urbie is tempting!
Elow

Post by Elow »

What horn have you been playing on? Might want to consider a convertible horn for the parts that you never go to 7th.
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Elow wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 pm What horn have you been playing on? Might want to consider a convertible horn for the parts that you never go to 7th.
A Bach 34, Rath R1, and JP/Rath 230.
Elow

Post by Elow »

That’s all small bore territory so you might be more comfortable on a small bore f attachment. Have you tried an 36? They make a convertible model, or something like a 3bf+ if they make that. You can always have a valve put on your 34, but might want to keep it all original because that’s a cool horn. Either way, you’re probably not going to find a horn that feels the same. If people think they feel a major difference with different mouthpiece weights, then adding a whole f attachment should create a completely different horn. I would wait until you can comfortably test out some horns. Might not be a while, especially since all the schools are opened now, my school doesn’t even require masks. Scary world. Dillon has a return policy, so that’s a good way to test out used horns for a better price but i’m not sure who covers shipping.
BGuttman

Re: Bach TB400B .547 Your thoughts

Post by BGuttman »

I thought all of Florida was a giant Petri dish :tongue:

A Bach 36B is almost the same size as your Bach 34 (34 is 0.522", 36 is 0.525"). I think it might be a better fit. You might be able to get one in your price range from DJ Kennedy.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Model34 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:44 pm
Elow wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:38 pm What horn have you been playing on? Might want to consider a convertible horn for the parts that you never go to 7th.
A Bach 34, Rath R1, and JP/Rath 230.
I sold a 1965 34B a couple years ago. That would have been perfect. A great player, and I sold it for the opposite reason you are looking. Didn't want the extra weight of an F attachment. I almost sent it to Brad Close to get it "chopped". Traded it, got a 1957 Elkhart 6H and some cash.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Thanks for the recommendation Bruce
Florida ok do you know Mike EGAN???
My favorites in the bigger horns best bang
For the buck are the 700 series getzen
They are very lightweight ez trigger
Lighter weight slide Yes they are wide
These getzens are good some are 525-547
Second choice Benge 165 simple and solid
-/—/—/-//////
Not so big
King 607 or 608
Yellow bell 🍀607. 608 goldbrass
These aren’t massive and trigger is easy
Because it is around your thumb push
Not out in space like the rest
Bore is 525 like Bach 36b
Nice comfortable feel and not expensive
//////////
All the new valves are amazing
Florida
Don’t get in a hurry lotsa choices
Find some bone buddies and try some brass
The Rath 400 is great
Courtois also
Yamaha xeno 882 8820R
Great one conn style the other more bachish
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

The tb 400
Hey buy one
Let us know
Gotta be Chinese
But probably great 👍
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Yamaha 356. Light, versatile, .500-525 dual bore so similar air management to what you are used to.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

For everyone who has written off this TB400B, I have had students with similar Bach "step up" models that have been outstanding players. In particular, Bach had a "Soloist" model about 10-15 years ago that was identical to the Bach 42BO, but had a two piece bell. Three of my students had those "Soloist" horns and they were all terrific. This TB400B appears to be the same model only paired with a nickel slide. Essentially, you are getting 85% of a Bach 42 for about 25% of the price. I consider that a great value.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Model34

Post by Model34 »

Boy am I pissed! I wrote a long beautiful update to this thread. But what happened? I hit submit and I was required to log in again. I did that and found my 45 min post gone, evaporate, lost. What a total POS software this is. Moderators, please delete my account entirely immediately! This site doesn’t deserve to have me as a member!
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Model34 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:57 am Boy am I pissed! I wrote a long beautiful update to this thread. But what happened? I hit submit and I was required to log in again. I did that and found my 45 min post gone, evaporate, lost. What a total POS software this is. Moderators, please delete my account entirely immediately! This site doesn’t deserve to have me as a member!
Wow, if this is serious than this is probably the most unlikeable comment I have read here, and there have been some heated discussions in the past.

Have you considered that all this is for free without any disturbing advertisements (at least I never noticed something?) or other ways to monetize?
People are asking questions, share knowledge and discuss about trombone, even if the platform is not perfect.

Would you also behave like that in real life if you are give something valuable for free and it does not work for you personally?

By the way: An automated logout can also be a very valuable security feature to protect your data. You also find this in other systems.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Model34 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:57 am Boy am I pissed! I wrote a long beautiful update to this thread. But what happened? I hit submit and I was required to log in again. I did that and found my 45 min post gone, evaporate, lost. What a total POS software this is. Moderators, please delete my account entirely immediately! This site doesn’t deserve to have me as a member!
Sorry for your bad experience. I've had it happen to me also. Generally when I have a large entry and the Internet connection goes dodgy I will back to the pre-submit screen, hit Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-Ins. This saves my big post to the Clipboard. When I clear up the mess by relogging or getting my Internet back, I can re-enter my post simply by hitting Reply, and then Shift-Ins and my post is put back into the screen.

Please don't let your temporary frustration cause you to stop being a part of this valuable resource.

More germane to the topic, there are some good Bach intermediate horns that will allow a good student to progress pretty far. Not all Bach student horns are like the old Bundys.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

You can learn to be civil. I pay for this website. I pay for the domain, server space, etc. I don't monetize. The moderators aren't paid. Hopefully you can realize that your reaction was probably outsized. If you don't think so, you are very welcome to leave.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

No website is safe from that kind of thing happening occasionally. It's very common and certainly not a reason to leave a forum over, especially one as well-run as this one.

In my opinion a browser extension that saves forms as you fill them out is essential...I would have lost SO many long posts on different forums across the internet without one. There are multiple options on all the big browsers. Or you could just get in the habit of copying the text before submitting like Bruce suggested.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Been there before too - s__t happens! My dog usually feels like she's in trouble based on the blue cloud that emerges from me, but it's not worth sending a message to the world about it. Even my dog gets a couple of treats to soften the blow, after hearing a few choice phrases!

Jim Scott
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Yeah, I've been logged out when I was about to make a reply or two all because I lost track of time, and that's on me, not the forum. Lost everything I was about to post. Thankfully, I could remember what the gist of my post was about.

A mental timer (getting better here) plus saving the text to a clipboard as BGuttman does (I'm still bad at this as this is the first forum I have ever joined, and didn't know this forum had the auto logout feature until then) can really help. It's tedious and takes some time to get used to, but I haven't been as frustrated since then. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

Back to topic, never really played on any Bach instrument, let alone a TB400, other than a TB200F that my middle school had. I don't really remember it, either. :shuffle:
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Elow

Post by Elow »

You could of solved this by yourself. Any time this has happened to my i just do what bruce said and it works. This site and its owners/staff dont owe you anything, its their site. Also, how long could this reply have been? Didnt you get a conn?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I don't have that much experience with Bach student-line instruments, but some years ago, I had a 1st year student who had a student Bach .525 bore. He was a typical young student with some playing issues that we were working through, and I assumed that his horn was OK for the time being. One day, I brought a small shank mouthpiece and tried his horn, and I was appalled! It was horribly out of tune with itself (overtone series), stuffy, and just difficult to play or even hold. Any King or Yamaha would have blown it out of the water, and so would most of the newer Chinese horns. He bought a used Getzen (Canadian Brass) horn from another student, and instantly improved 100%. He eventually bought a new Edwards, and was able to go to grad. school at a major US university music program.

That Bach was the biggest dog that I've ever played. I have no problems with most 42's and 36's that I've tried, as well as some small horns from their catalogue, but that particular horn soured me on their student offerings. Most of the student Yamahas and Kings and Conns that I've tried have been decent horns that can work decently for a student until they outgrow them. The OP may have had one of these abominations.

Jim Scott
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

My only experience with modern Bach horns was from a freshman.
Apparently, he got his mouthpiece stuck in his student horn. When he tried to pull it out, one of the hand braces literally broke in half. I'm not sure if this was normal or what he did to it, but you think that would at least bend first.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh well
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

For anyone else who is curious about the Bach tb400B, I will be able to give my impressions in a couple of weeks, since I decided to use my stimulus check to stimulate Quinn the Eskimo's bank account.
I own several Bach's, 42B's and a 36B, so I am very familiar with how the Strads play. I wanted to try a tb400 mainly out of curiousity, and because I have had students looking to upgrade but don't need, or have the budget for, a Strad but they want something new and shiny.
My experience with the Bach intermediates has been all over the map. The 2 best ones, by far, have been
1) an 836 from the mid-80s, which was identical to a 36B except for a 2-piece bell stamped Bach USA, and brass instead of nickle trim on the tuning slide receivers.
2) Someone mentioned the Soloist from 10-15 years ago, basically a 42B with a 2 piece bell. I found a Liberty (for a private student) around the same time, sold exclusively through Music and Arts, which I'll bet was the same horn.
Then, there are the dogs (apologies to my 2 canines) like the Mercedes 2, which may have been the model that another member mentioned that played out of tune. In addition, the left hand position was very uncomfortable, with the thumb going behind the bar and having a long stretch to reach the lever. I found I had to actually shift my hand position to activate the trigger. AND...a Bach mouthpiece (yes, small shank) barely fit! It only went in part-way, like some of the Olds horns.
Anyhow, my expectations for the tb400 aren't set too high, but I hope it's not too much of a disappointment, either.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

FeelMyRath wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:05 am Yamaha 356. Light, versatile, .500-525 dual bore so similar air management to what you are used to.
Yes. Very nice player, usually at a good price used. Mine is a keeper
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Lol, a quick perusal of all (23) your posts, all of which are either in the classifieds or are about buying horns on Amazon.

Please don't leave! You and your warm kindness will be sorely missed!

:hi:

Return to “Instruments”