Rath 00 series. Any good?

mas

Rath 00 series. Any good?

Post by mas »

I'm looking at getting a new trombone and have been eyeing the Rath 400 as it's reasonably priced and have a good brand name on it. However, not that many reviews can be found of them and I have no possibility to go and test one out.

Anyone here tried any of the 00 series out and have a verdict on quality and playability?

Thanks.
WGWTR180

Re: Rath 00 series. Any good?

Post by WGWTR180 »

What's good for one depending on expectations, level of playing, and level of player should dictate your decision. There are many instruments out there. If you love it and can afford it then buy it. There are hundreds of members on this forum and you could get hundreds of choices. :)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

mas wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:40 am I'm looking at getting a new trombone and have been eyeing the Rath 400 as it's reasonably priced and have a good brand name on it. However, not that many reviews can be found of them and I have no possibility to go and test one out.

Anyone here tried any of the 00 series out and have a verdict on quality and playability?

Thanks.
Is a Rath R400 an R4? No. There are some limitations on customizability of the 00 series relative to the "non 00" series. Will this make a difference? For most of us probably not. But if you are a serious pro like Bill (above), it might.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

I think the 400 is good, but not as good as the 100s and 900s. I'd actually look for a used 88H over a new R400.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
afugate

Post by afugate »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:21 am Is a Rath R400 an R4? No. There are some limitations on customizability of the 00 series relative to the "non 00" series. Will this make a difference? For most of us probably not. But if you are a serious pro like Bill (above), it might.
FYI, Bill is "WGWTR180". Thought you might not know since you're new. :)

Welcome to the trombone chat!
--Andy in OKC
mas

Post by mas »

Thanks. I would put me at a semi-advanced hobby level. Currently play a Jupiter JSL636 which I don't fancy that much (hard to get in tune at times among other things). Had a Bach 42B borrowed a few years ago which was nice. Basically want a good all-around instrument and the best bang for the buck. The Rath 00 series stood out with its brand name, pricing and the fact that they on picture looks really nice compared to others (worst argument to get one, but it's a fact). I'm a bit hesitant as they are mass-market produced horns from China and a relatively new addition to the line-up - quality is unknown...

I will take another look at the used market and see what I can find. More opinions on the 00 series and the R400 is appreciated in the mean-time.

Thanks all of you
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

As I am a Rath employee you would think I would have bias ;-)
However I have checked and set up many 400's and they are very consistent.
I have played far worse "Pro" horns!
I'd say the 400 would be a great choice for you especially if you are wanting a NEW affordable Instrument.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Fidbone wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:03 am As I am a Rath employee you would think I would have bias ;-)
I'd say the 400 would be a great choice for you especially if you are wanting a NEW affordable Instrument.
I would listen to Fidbone and just purchase the Rath. Once again if you really like get it!
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Mark Frost uses a Rath 900 when he comes to the states the last couple of years rather than fly with his Rath R9.

I actually REALLY like the sound of that plain yellow bell compared to his Nickel R9. Maybe has a little less punch (only comparatively- this is Frosty), but overall just a great sound live and on the recordings.

Cheers,
Andy
RConrad

Post by RConrad »

I've been playing my University's Rath R900 for the last couple of years. For a horn that's seen a lot of use it's held up rather well, the case it came with hasn't held up so well though. The slide is lovely and the valves are nice and quick. Hope that helps a bit.
Robert C
LowBrassKing

Post by LowBrassKing »

Played on a buddies once...I’ll stick with my shires!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Fidbone wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:03 am As I am a Rath employee you would think I would have bias ;-)
So you can see that all 00 series Raths go through QC at the Rath home factory. That has to mean something....and it's done by fidbone, a long standing pro player....who's decided to sit down at Raths. 😁😁

Chris

Return to “Instruments”