Ault Artist Trombone

rvriesman

Ault Artist Trombone

Post by rvriesman »

I wonder if anyone else has seen an Ault Artist Trombone. From my research I am quite certain it is a "stencil" of the Buescher Aristocrat trombone. I have seen that there was also an Ault Artist saxophone that was a stencil of the Hohner President and I saw an Ault clarinet for sale (I believe on Ebay, but perhaps somewhere else) that was marked "made in France". I understand it use to be quite common for music store to sell some instruments branded with the stores name.
I also believe that the Ault name is from the Ault Music Store in Ft. Worth, Texas in the '50's and '60's. I found the following article on the internet making reference to that store, "Ault Music was a music store located in downtown Ft. Worth, Texas. It was the mainstay of the town for many years until the family heirs sold it in the 60's or early 70's to an insurance company. (The owner of the insurance company bought the music store for his nephew to lease to own from him and later defaulted on it) The company was eventually absorbed into the C&S, Brook Mays, H&H music fold. Now, I don't know if this particular music store had anything to do with the clarinet brand you mention. I worked there in the mid 70's and did remember seeing a few of them around but would not try to make too much out it except for the name coincidence. Probably a "stencil" clarinet.
J. Butler"

Does anyone have any more information?

Return to “Instruments”