Looking for a Holton TR-180

jwalkerpga

Looking for a Holton TR-180

Post by jwalkerpga »

I played one in College (Murray State) back in the 80's. I sold many years ago and have regretted it ever since.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Re: Looking for a Holton TR-180

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Drew A.
Professional bum.
jwalkerpga

Post by jwalkerpga »

HawaiiTromboneGuy-Nice horn! But, I'm looking for the Stacked/Dependent valve system.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

That is dependent. Only thing is the Glantz bar has been replaced with split triggers.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

As Bruce said, that is a stacked/dependent horn, all 180's are unless they were altered. Maybe the one you had had a Glantz bar on it?

You are much better off getting this one or one like it. The Glantz bar is really only useable if your hands are exactly the right size, and even then it's a pretty clumsy system; this horn has already gone through the conversion to a much more user friendly system. It's also really hard to find a 180 with the Glantz bar still intact these days. 180's are few in number, so it's a little hard to be too choosy unless you are willing to wait a long time for the perfect one.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

jwalkerpga wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 am HawaiiTromboneGuy-Nice horn! But, I'm looking for the Stacked/Dependent valve system.
This instrument that Kaz is selling looks to be a nice early example. It is dependent/stacked and the triggers have been split. It's also a good price for this instrument.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

chromebone wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:32 am It's also really hard to find a 180 with the Glantz bar still intact these days. 180's are few in number, so it's a little hard to be too choosy unless you are willing to wait a long time for the perfect one.
I think you are right. Most TR-180 I see have had the triggers split. As a collector I'm happy to own one in original config. I also have one that has been split. The balance is not the same with split triggers and is actually hard to hold without stress on the hand. I have to use a Sherman Get-a-grip on the one with split triggers or I could not play it. The one with tte Glanz bar works pretty well. It is the next best system. Split triggers i the best system if it has been properly done.

./Tom
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

I think you are right. Most TR-180 I see have had the triggers split. As a collector I'm happy to own one in original config. I also have one that has been split. The balance is not the same with split triggers and is actually hard to hold without stress on the hand. I have to use a Sherman Get-a-grip on the one with split triggers or I could not play it. The one with tte Glanz bar works pretty well. It is the next best system. Split triggers i the best system if it has been properly done.

./Tom
I owned a really early 180 years ago, maybe even the first or second one made from 1968. it had factory 62h/Saxophone side by side roller paddles and a 9 1/2 bell. I still regret selling it.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

imsevimse wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:55 pm
chromebone wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:32 am It's also really hard to find a 180 with the Glantz bar still intact these days. 180's are few in number, so it's a little hard to be too choosy unless you are willing to wait a long time for the perfect one.

./Tom
Funny how we're all different. Both of my 180s have split triggers and are very easy to hold. In fact I've never found the need to use anything to help hold up my instruments. However all of my triggers are custom for my particular hand. Most horns that I've played with their particular trigger setups are usually a problem for me.
zinengineer

Post by zinengineer »

Well, after many years away I "found" this chat forum while looking for the old TTF. The first search I decided to do was "Holton TR-180". I've got an original, unmodified version with the Glanz bar; got it in another life while in high school and schlepped it across the country for several moves. Played sparingly, being the weekend warrior I am, so it's still in pretty good shape. When I get a chance I'll post some pics.

I actually found the ergonomics acceptable. I also have a Kanstul 1670-D with the drop in valve and split triggers....never really warmed up to that set up - prefer the single trigger on that horn.
nicten310

Post by nicten310 »

I have a nice original one for sale. Email or msg if interested

Return to “Instruments”