Questions about an Olds Super Trombone...

Rich5905

Questions about an Olds Super Trombone...

Post by Rich5905 »

I am looking at a Olds Super Trombone that according to the serial number dates it to 1966. It does not have the fluted inner slides. I thought all Olds Supers had fluted slides, but I am not an expert. Would a Super from this period have had fluted inner slides, or had Olds quit using fluted slides by this time?

One other thing about this horn, there is a small '65' stamped on the bell section close to where it connects to the slide section. The serial number does not end in '65'. Does this mean the bell and slide sections are a mis-matched set and not original to each other?

Externally the horn looks exactly like pics of other Supers I have seen online. The horn is not beat up, and looks really nice. Only blemishes are a couple of small tarnish spots. This is the first Super I have seen in person. I don't have possession of the horn so I can't send any pics at the moment.

Wanted to get some feedback to help me decide if I want to buy the horn or not. I have just started playing again after a long hiatus, and was wanting a nicer horn than the 1969 Olds Ambassador that I have had since I was a kid.
Posaunus

Re: Questions about an Olds Super Trombone...

Post by Posaunus »

Olds Super series: Professional instruments. Pure bronze bell (very heavy) with tone control ring, rest of instrument nickel silver. Bell design results in a very dark and centered tone.

Super S15 | .485/.500" bore | 7.5" dia bell | Jazz horn. Dual bore, inner slide tubes duo-octagonal ("fluted"). Pure bronze bell with tone ring (or possibly heavy red brass bell), rest of instrument nickel silver.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Where does it say the model number?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I don't think they put numbers on the instruments. There is a model engraved into the bell (Super) and that's all you get.

Every S15 is a Super. Some Supers predate the model numbers (particularly LA instruments).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

As far as I know, Olds continued to use duo-octagonal inners on Supers and Recordings right up to the end (they're mentioned in the 1973 catalog, which is the latest one I have). Likely the one you're looking at has had its inners replaced at one time - though I've seen too much weird Olds stuff to say anything with absolute certainty.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tubes are long as they're the right size. Take a look at how much clearance there is between the stockings and the outers on you Ambassador, and compare that to the clearance on the Super. If the clearance looks to be about the same, everything should be fine, but if the Super is noticeable looser, WALK AWAY.

It all comes down to how the horn plays for you. Mid-1960's Supers aren't rare, so what value they have is as players.

Matching numbers aren't a big deal, either.
Rich5905

Post by Rich5905 »

Thanks for the replies. I went back and looked at the trombone again to check the fit between the stockings and the outer slide. While I was looking at it I reached out and ran my fingers down the inner slide and that is when I noticed the inner slide tubes was not round! As I mentioned earlier, this was the first Olds trombone with "fluted" slides I had seen. I guess I was expecting deep grooves like you would see in a fluted doorway or on a fluted rifle barrel on the inner slide tubes. Now I understand why JohnL referred to the inner slides as duo-octagonal and not fluted. Visually, the flats are easy to overlook. It was only after touching it that I noticed the tubes was not round.

After figuring out the inner slides was "duo-octagonal" I did go ahead and purchase the trombone. It really is a nice looking horn with just a couple of very small tarnish marks. I was really wanting a professional model Olds trombone since I had learned on an Ambassador as a kid, so I am pretty excited I was able to find one. As I relearn how to play, I think it will be an instrument I can grow into.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Richard
Last edited by Rich5905 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Richard,

Congratulations on your purchase. I also object to calling these 16-sided inner slides "fluted." They are not.

Enjoy your Olds Super.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Rich5905 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:58 pmI guess I was expecting deep grooves like you would see in a fluted doorway or on a fluted rifle barrel on the inner slide tubes.
Olds' first patent (1935) was for tubes like that - like rifling, but on the outside and with no twist. They apparently had a lot of trouble drawing tubes with that sort of cross-section (having worked in a tube mill, I can understand why), so they developed the duo-octagonal design (patented in 1938). Olds trombones with the original pattern fluted tubes are pretty rare.

Return to “Instruments”