Besson BE940 tenor

Macbone1

Besson BE940 tenor

Post by Macbone1 »

This is a modern Besson model with interchangeable lead pipes, .500 bore. I've owned a couple of older Bessons over the years and they had some good qualities. Does anyone know about this model? Inexpensive for a pro model but how do they play?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Vegasbound

Re: Besson BE940 tenor

Post by Vegasbound »

They where probably the best of that era sovereigns, not that many made but those I have blown have played well and you can pick them up for a good price
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I agree, prices are rather surprising. If I could liquidate one or two of my horns that are meh, I'd buy the one I saw on eBay.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
bellend

Post by bellend »

I have three of these and ( perhaps obviously) think they're a very underrated instrument.
I think the real problem is that Besson and Boosey & Hawkes had previously come up with so many bad trombones that no one really gave these a chance.

This horn was designed in conjunction with Gene Smith who was lead trombone in Woody Herman's band.
It's a very light weight horn along the lines of the King Jiggs Whigham, so very nimble and easy to play with a great high register.

The original ones had a wide slide like a Bach 36 , &.5 " bell and 3 Leadpipes.
The later ones have a standard width slide , 8" bell and fixed pipe.
Marshall Gilkes played one of the later ones before he tied up with Getzen, so he obviously thought it was good.
For me, the yellow brass bell ones play much better than the red brass ones which seem a bit less resonant.

There's a wide slide one for sale here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-BE940-T ... SwftNck9yu

Looks a bargain to me....

BellEnd
Last edited by bellend on Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

One of the biggest problems with the later Bessons (not just trombones but all brass instruments) was the non-existent quality control.
They seemed to think that you, the customer, would perform your own QC and if there was anything wrong, you would send the instrument back. Most of the problems were cosmetic; bad soldering or acid bleeds especially on the bell rim.
The problems didn't help their reputation and they soon fell into difficulties and eventually went under. :frown: :weep:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

The Marshall Gilkes endorsement is quite a revelation. I suspected this brand was underrated and priced accordingly in the states. I had a great old 8-10 that was a blast to play but it was heavy and I grew tired of the heaviness and donated it.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet

Return to “Instruments”