Bach omega F-trigger trombone or Yamaha YSL200AD?

nobodyshero1993

Bach omega F-trigger trombone or Yamaha YSL200AD?

Post by nobodyshero1993 »

I'm a beginner who's been renting a trombone for a couple months. I'm currently playing on a Bundy straight trombone. I found someone selling an F trigger trombone for the same price as a used ysl200. Which is the better horn? And are trigger trombones ok for beginners? I know it might be a bit more difficult since it has extra tubing and I run out of breath really easily on the trombone already have, but as a bassist, it'd be cool to have easier access to a lower range on this instrument. What do you all think? What flaws shall I look for when buying a used instrument?
BGuttman

Re: Bach omega F-trigger trombone or Yamaha YSL200AD?

Post by BGuttman »

Are trigger trombones better for beginners? It depends. Mostly it depends on the trigger trombone.

A large bore trigger trombone will be a big stretch for a beginner, especially one having a problem with air on a Bundy. A smaller bore trigger trombone will work fine. Something like an Olds Ambassador A-20 or Bach TB-200F (Omega) can work well.

A Yamaha 200AD is an excellent instrument (it's actually the 354, but sold by brick and mortar stores).

I usually suggest that you start on a straight trombone and then move to a trombone with an F-attachment if that is what you want. You need to become proficient on the Bb side of the trombone before you delve into the F-attachment.

The Omega is a good place to start on an F-attachment especially since you don't have to change your mouthpiece at first. But I'd suggest going to a larger mouthpiece eventually -- like a 4C or 6.5AL to make the lower register work better.

I know this is a sorta waffling answer, but I can't see the F-attachment trombone you are interested in so I have to guess.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

The 200AD has a .500 bore and the Bach has a .525 bore, so the Bach will take a little more air. Using the trigger in first position on a horn takes the same amount of air as using the slide in 6th on that horn, and if you don't use the trigger at all it doesn't make any difference, it is just like playing a trombone without it. If just starting out and you find a deal on an F attachment horn, you can just ignore the trigger until you are ready to use it. For now, you can't beat the Yamaha for bang for the buck (depending on the bucks involved). If you keep playing and a larger bore F attachment horn is in your future, you can keep the Yam in case you need to play lead, do a parade, etc. If very lucky, you may end up with a nice double trigger bass, but they take a LOT of breath support. Me, I have a .490 bore straight horn, .500 small bore and .547 large bore tenor with F attachments, and .562 double trigger bass. Only one was bought new. That arsenal of bones covers just about anything they can throw at me. Keep your mind open, the possibilities are endless!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
nobodyshero1993

Post by nobodyshero1993 »

thanks everyone. i decided that i’ll go with a yamaha

Return to “Instruments”