Thought on a Conn 112? Looking for my first bass trombone.

Dobbins

Thought on a Conn 112? Looking for my first bass trombone.

Post by Dobbins »

Hi everyone, I'm just finally making it over here from the old trombone forums.

I am looking for a bass trombone. I have played trombone for 25 years, but I've never had a bass trombone or played one much. I am looking for any recommendations, but so far the one I have encountered is at my local music shop. It is a Conn 112, independent rotors, .562 bore, 10" Rose Brass bell. This horn is new, and I'd like your thoughts. They are only asking $3500, which I feel is a deal, although I think I may be able to get a better horn for less if I hunt a bit.

My Tenor is a Conn 88H with an F attachment, a Lindberg valve, and a Silver Bell. I have had the horn for 17 years, and while I like it and like Conn, I get the impression that the brand itself has gone downhill over the last couple of decades. The response on my current horn is not always the best.

What are your thoughts on the Conn 112? Decent horn? Fair price? It has been a couple of decades since I've looked for a new horn, so I really am out of the loop on brands, especially for professional models. I would be playing a mix of classical and jazz with this horn, probably more classical. Any alternative suggestions? Thank you!
BGuttman

Re: Thought on a Conn 112? Looking for my first bass trombone.

Post by BGuttman »

Decent horn, but that is a bit steep.

Look on our Classifieds. We have lots of bass trombones coming up for sale and you should be able to get something like the 112H for about half what you quoted. If I were buying a new Conn I'd look for a 62HI (independent) or 62H (dependent).

Other suggestions (mostly used):
Bach 50B3 (independent) or 50B2 (dependent)
Benge 290
(lots of other Conn models)
Getzen 3062 or 1062 (both dependent) or 1052 (independent)
Holton TR-180 (dependent)
King 7B, Duo Gravis (6B - dependent)
Yamaha 612, 613, 620, 630 (note: YBL, not YSL)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The 112H is an ok horn. That price, though, is about $2000 over what it would go for in decent shape (maybe $1700 over in good shape). Definitely don't pay that much.

There are better horns out there for much less.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Elow

Post by Elow »

For that price, you could get a shires Q series. Which, some people may disagree, i think is a much better horn.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

$3500 for a new-ish 112 near new condition from a retail store (if that’s the story) isn’t totally out of line. I saw a store asking $3960 for a new one. (MSRP was much higher). Actually being able to hold and play it before buying is worth something.
Last edited by Bach5G on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm Actually being able to hold and play it before buying is worth something.
Not $1700, though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm Actually being able to hold and play it before buying is worth something.
Not $1700, though.
That’s up to the OP to decide for himself.
etbone

Post by etbone »

There's really nice 62HI, in the classifies.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

I had one of the first 112Hs that came out in the early 80’s... I played it for about 9 years. It was a good horn. I’ve tried the newer design (it is very different from the instrument I had)... it’s just ok. For the price point you are looking at I would buy a Getzen 1052FDR... that is a fantastic instrument right at the same price. According to the Dillon website they have one in stock. I guarantee this this a much better instrument. It is along the same category as a Conn 62H, but about $1500 less.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

Dobbins wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:37 pm Hi everyone, I'm just finally making it over here from the old trombone forums.

I am looking for a bass trombone. I have played trombone for 25 years, but I've never had a bass trombone or played one much. I am looking for any recommendations, but so far the one I have encountered is at my local music shop. It is a Conn 112, independent rotors, .562 bore, 10" Rose Brass bell. This horn is new, and I'd like your thoughts. They are only asking $3500, which I feel is a deal, although I think I may be able to get a better horn for less if I hunt a bit.

My Tenor is a Conn 88H with an F attachment, a Lindberg valve, and a Silver Bell. I have had the horn for 17 years, and while I like it and like Conn, I get the impression that the brand itself has gone downhill over the last couple of decades. The response on my current horn is not always the best.

What are your thoughts on the Conn 112? Decent horn? Fair price? It has been a couple of decades since I've looked for a new horn, so I really am out of the loop on brands, especially for professional models. I would be playing a mix of classical and jazz with this horn, probably more classical. Any alternative suggestions? Thank you!
I'm selling my bass right now, actually. Sent you an email.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

I've played a Getzen 1062FD for 22 years, and it's easily the best horn I've ever played. New they are not cheap, but I have seen them used at reasonable prices. The Conn 62H series is also a winner for me. I don't know if I would pay that much for a 112, but if it plays well and appeals to you it may be the right choice. You do need to check out other horns, which I know is tough right now in the age of Covid.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

I don't have too much comparison right now and have actually never played a new 112h.

But I really like my old 112h. Very responsive in all registers, also in the valve and pedal area and I really like the sound.
Handling and balance are not perfect, but also not a big issue.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

I looked at a 112H when I ended up with my 62H. Wasn't a fan, just felt incredibly "woof" sounding without any real core to the sound. The 62H just blew better and had a sizzle to it.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band

Return to “Instruments”