Wessex bass trombone

Savio

Wessex bass trombone

Post by Savio »

How is the Chris Stearn model playing?
I might get hands on one. Seems interesting. Chris?

Leif
harrisonreed

Re: Wessex bass trombone

Post by harrisonreed »

Savio wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:27 am How is the Chris Stearn model playing?
I might get hands on one. Seems interesting. Chris?

Leif
I really want one. They never are in stock!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I don't think they are currently in production, but I may be wrong. As I understand it, Wessex decided to focus on tuba production a while back. They look to be making Saxophones now, which makes business sense.. .not many people buy bass trombones. The Blessing may be the same instrument re-branded....looks like it. I simply don't know.

Chris
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

A friend of mine owns both a Wessex Bass Trombone and Wessex Cimbasso (the Cimbasso is a bit older - more on it later.)

The Bass Trombone plays pretty good, even with both valves down; balance feels good and it looks sharp enough.

The Cimbasso, being much more aged, still plays great but is beginning to show problems. I don't even think it's a decade old but the springs are going and in places where the hands touch, the finish is too. He lent it to me once and one of the screws used to tighten the floor peg snapped on me with only minimal force being used. Just broke right in two and I felt pretty bad; fortunately a tech found some better ones in their inventory.

Also, many technicians won't service Wessex horns either, I've discovered - though some will. Parts will require you to write Wessex, but fortunately they're good about sending some of those along for free (he now has some spare screws for the peg if the nicer ones snap.) Sometimes other parts can work, but I doubt all of them will.

So just be warned they need frequent service and the low price up front may even itself out over time, you'll eventually end up with an old "beater" of a horn, something to play after you've had a few beers or a joint - better than picking up that $4k+ prize horn.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got three Wessex horns with small issues. I've got a 1 year old Festivo euphonium with flaking lacquer at a contact point. Also I cleaned it recently because of a sticking valve, and a lot of fibrous stuff was stuck in a valve casing. The horn plays great, but the lacquer isn't worth anything.

A Wessex Urbie is missing a very small ring around the top tube of the hand slide. This makes that tube like a meat slicer, should you get your finger stuck in there. I bought the horn used, but Wessex wants $25 for that ring, which was obviously left off in manufacture. Also, the lacquer at the neckpipe is wearing off after only months of occasional use.

A Wessex Super Tenor which was probably abused by a student before I got it has been worn through the lacquer and plating in several places. Plus, the spit valve lever is made of metal so soft, putting it in the case can cause it to deform.

I'm generally a fan of the company and the products they offer, but the finishes are nearly worthless, and some of the detail parts really are as bad as the most cynical rumors suggest.

Return to “Instruments”