Kruspe Large bore trombone, Model Penzel

SwissTbone

Kruspe Large bore trombone, Model Penzel

Post by SwissTbone »

Thought you may enjoy some trombone-art from before WW1.

Here is a large-bore Kruspe trombone, probably a model Penzel made between 1900 and 1918. The valve wrap changed after 1918, so it is definitely that old. This seems to be somehow the prototype for german trombones with a large bore (approx. 0.547) and a big bell (approx 9.5 inch). From what I can gather it was the instrument that was used in most german orchestras of the time.

This particular instrument is in beautiful condition, no dings, no dents, not even really any scratches. For an instrument that old, this is quite something I think! The screw at the neckpipe and the spit valve may not be original. The slide inners have certainly been chromeplated recently (well at least after 1930...), but it still looks to be the original slide.

The highlight for me is the engraving. The stamp says Ed. Kruspe - Hoflieferant and the engraving on the Kranz is simply stunning.

Enjoy!

ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
EdwardSolomon

Re: Kruspe Large bore trombone, Model Penzel

Post by EdwardSolomon »

Gorgeous.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Another beautiful find @SwissT. Fascinating horn. :good:
(I'm ashamed to admit I have been slacking on Instagram; I need to get caught up on what you've posting over there. :D )
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Vegastokc wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:48 am Another beautiful find @SwissT. Fascinating horn. :good:
(I'm ashamed to admit I have been slacking on Instagram; I need to get caught up on what you've posting over there. :D )
Thanks!

Oooh... I have been slacking too on Instagram! I should take up the "hornoftheweek" again.
But the real nice pictures are on my website.
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Beautiful!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

My photography skills don't do justice to the beauty of that engravings. They are spectacular!
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

And what is it like to play?
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The fancy bits and snakes look exactly like my Thein old german style alto, which is modeled after a Kruspe. Its fun to see the original work.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

johntarr wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:50 pm And what is it like to play?
I really don't feel qualified to judge that instrument. It's the first old style german trombone I play so... I also don't have a mouthpiece which would do justice to this horn, I tried it with several modern pieces, but all of them had evident shortcomings with that trombone.

What I like about it is the roundness and the warmth of the sound. Especially in low dynamics this trombone really sings. When turning up the volume it doesn't really break up on me, but it can get plenty loud! More tha loud actually... dense, intense, round... something like that.

But take this with a grain of salt. I felt like a novice on this horn for quite some hours...
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Try and check out Schmidt mouthpieces, he's the expert for romantic trombone mps. His euro shank probably fit perfectly.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

SwissTbone wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 am My photography skills don't do justice to the beauty of that engravings. They are spectacular!
A couple suggestions, if I may....

Neutral background rather than white. Something close to the tone of an old-school 18% gray is pretty much ideal.

Your lighting looks pretty soft (shadows are not harsh), but maybe put the instrument on a stand and get it farther away from the background. That'll pretty well eliminate any shadows.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

So... For a very very very good price I today got an old Heckel straight tenor.
The previous owner told me it is most likely from the beginning of the 20th century.
I will compare this to a book on German trombones to get a better understanding, but my impression is that it is probably true due to some of the typical signs (slide not chrome plated, "loose" outer slide, no screw between slide and bell section, no tuning slide or water key).
Taking this age into consideration the condition is great!
It is very very playable including the slide. Response, tuning and sound are great.
The bell is >23 cm and slide seems to be large bore, receiver is perfect fit for a modern large bore mouthpiece.

We should do a separate threat where we collect pictures and data on (historic) German trombones. Might initiate this soon...

Pictures show it next to my Piering replica by Schmidt and my (historic) Kruspe.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Heckel, Piering replica, Kruspe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Very nice trombones. The Heckel had some repairs but look like competent repairs at a first superficial glance. Is the Kruspe single or double bore?

As for mouthpieces, I play a Schmidt Kruspe Weschke copy on my Kruspe Weschkes and a Schmidt Ed. Kruspe 6 copy on my Kruspe bass trombone Weite 4.

Return to “Instruments”