Showcase: Corp Bach 36K wide slide

Burgerbob

Showcase: Corp Bach 36K wide slide

Post by Burgerbob »

I nabbed this 36 on ebay for a strangely low price a few months ago. The pictures showed a Corporation 36 (up to the late '70s in vintage, then) with a K valve installed (only in the '90s). Very intriguing, and it was at the right price.

Turns out it's a 4-digit serial early Corp with a quite well-done K swap, obviously taken from a stock '90s 36K. As for why someone did this, and then decided it wasn't worth keeping, is up to the trombone gods to understand.

As it was, it played very well. My only gripe was that the stock 36 slide width is just narrow enough to be quite uncomfortable with a K valve- much like adding something larger to an 88H, it needs a bit more room. I had Benn Hansson add a Shires wide .525 crook, bringing the slide up to 42 width but not adding any wildly different characteristics to the response. It did make it sound just a titch larger, a little more of the depth of a 42 but still easier to play.

Some work remains to be done... the K valve won't come out of the casing, which needs to happen to clean it thoroughly, and there's a popped solder joint from the F wrap to the main bell brace.

However, I'm very happy with the result, especially with my perfectly-matched Doug Elliot setup- XTn104.F+.G4, like a 3GS in Bach terms. I've gone through a couple 36s and none of them felt like they made this interesting of a sound or did it quite so well. Someday I may even get to play it with others!

A comparison to the stock 36 width-

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Dennis

Re: Showcase: Corp Bach 36K wide slide

Post by Dennis »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:47 pm
Turns out it's a 4-digit serial early Corp with a quite well-done K swap, obviously taken from a stock '90s 36K. As for why someone did this, and then decided it wasn't worth keeping, is up to the trombone gods to understand.
<snip>
However, I'm very happy with the result, especially with my perfectly-matched Doug Elliot setup- XTn104.F+.G4, like a 3GS in Bach terms. I've gone through a couple 36s and none of them felt like they made this interesting of a sound or did it quite so well. Someday I may even get to play it with others!
The bell stamp shows that it was originally straight tenor. 36/42B of that era had the "B" stamped on the bell. I've never understood why, because I can usually see the valve on the neckpipe...

Nice looking horn, Aidan. I found the XT-F cup is a good match to my 1972 36B.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Very cool horn Aidan! I like the idea of the wider slide. Is the slide crook the same width as the Bach 42/50 and Shires/Edwards bass crook?
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:55 pm Very cool horn Aidan! I like the idea of the wider slide. Is the slide crook the same width as the Bach 42/50 and Shires/Edwards bass crook?
Yes, same as Bach 42/etc width, which I'm very used to. It's standard for Edwards and Shires, I think... I'm not sure if they have a slightly narrower one a la 79H, but I'd doubt it.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I’ve thought about doing similar to my 36 slide, and having the tenon/receiver changed to a large bore setup so that it’s interchangeable with my 42.

Thst said, I’m a little reluctant to mess with my 36. I don’t get to use it as often as I’d like; it’s usually either too big or too small for most purposes. I need more small orchestra tenor gigs...

Andrew
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 pm I’ve thought about doing similar to my 36 slide, and having the tenon/receiver changed to a large bore setup so that it’s interchangeable with my 42.

Thst said, I’m a little reluctant to mess with my 36. I don’t get to use it as often as I’d like; it’s usually either too big or too small for most purposes. I need more small orchestra tenor gigs...

Andrew
1. I think that is happening next. Coming up soon...

2. This is the problem I ran into with my previous 36s- it sounded too big and was too hard to play for most commercial settings, and my 42 did the orchestral thing better. But I have had several gigs recently (well, in the before times) where I could see the 36 fitting the use case just right. Also, I didn't pay much for it... :pant:

Return to “Instruments”