Closed wrap section advise

Adampreav

Closed wrap section advise

Post by Adampreav »

I have a conn 88hcl with a threaded lead pipe slide from the early 2000s that I want to get a close wrap section for.
What brands, models would fit my slide, I’m good having to modify a bell section but don’t want to spend a crazy amounts of money
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: Closed wrap section advise

Post by BGuttman »

Any closed wrap 88H bell section should fit your slide. Probably less expensive than importing a valve and wrap.

What's you problem with the open wrap? Most people seem to want to go TO what you have rather than from.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The different vintages of Conn 8H/88Hs can have slight differences in the taper for the slide-to-bell tenon. Always best to put them together and check comparability before buying. I have seen pairings in which the threading barely connected, and the other extreme......where the receiver bottomed out on the slide taper. Again.... best to check.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Adampreav wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:43 am I have a conn 88hcl with a threaded lead pipe slide from the early 2000s that I want to get a close wrap section for.
Thanks
If you want to sell your 88HCL bell section, I'd be happy to take it off your hands! :hi:
Adampreav

Post by Adampreav »

No I’m good I plan on keeping the trombone till I die just want something more portable and my thinking is why not not get a bell section than buy a whole horn, my slide is as smooth as butter just wanted to know different models or brands that would fit my slide or even have to modify to fit
Adampreav

Post by Adampreav »

Would a Conn 52hl, shires, blessing 88h clone fit on my slide
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

The 52H is worth a shot, I'm not sure about the others
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Shires no, B88 I think uses Conn connectors but I would make sure first.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

Would love to see what a closed wrap CL valve section would look like. I’m 99% sure Conn and Blessing bell and slide sections are interchangeable, but don’t have either in my possession anymore.

I have a friend that cut their CL valve section down from F to Gb. I believe didn’t stick very far out past the main tuning slide, and they had extra sleeves that would put the valve back to F whenever they wanted!
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

tombone21 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:23 pm Would love to see what a closed wrap CL valve section would look like.
Not really possible due to the port configuration of the valve.

It would take a LOT of plumbing to make that happen!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
JohntheTheologian

Post by JohntheTheologian »

Blessing B88 would work. It's interchangeable with Conns, including the 52H.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Adampreav wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 pm No I’m good I plan on keeping the trombone till I die just want something more portable and my thinking is why not not get a bell section than buy a whole horn,
Not sure what you'll gain in "portability." :idk: My old Conn 88H case is only 1¼" shorter than an 88HCL case – it's the slide length that determines the case length.

I love my 1972 88H – but must admit that the short-throw CL valve is awfully nice. If you ever want to sell your 88HCL, I'd be happy to help you!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:26 pmNot sure what you'll gain in "portability." :idk: My old Conn 88H case is only 1¼" shorter than an 88HCL case – it's the slide length that determines the case length.
This was my thought as well. Just looking at that case, it's not getting any shorter unless the SLIDE gets shorter. It'll make the bell section like.. 3 inches shorter?

It's times like this I refer to one of my favorite quotes from The Hunt for the Red October:

"Could you launch an ICBM horizontally?"
"Sure, but why would you want to?"
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”