Talk to me about Bach 36 horns

Tbarh

Re: Talk to me about Bach 36 horns

Post by Tbarh »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 am
spencercarran wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:05 am
Wouldn't a 36 with big slide just be a 42 with half inch smaller bell flare?
That's the idea!
But still 525 as aposed to 547 on the 42B, right?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Tbarh wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:59 am
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 am

That's the idea!
If I change out the receiver, I'd have the option of either .525 or .547 slides.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 pm
If I change out the receiver, I'd have the option of either .525 or .547 slides.
Brilliant!... I am thinking od doing the same!
SteffeMaersk

Post by SteffeMaersk »

Hi.
I live in Denmark, and up until the late 70ies/start 80ies the 36 was the horn played in symphony orchestras all over the country. 36 with a 12C mouthpiece.
I don't know why we had to play bigger.. In my opinion there is a certain amount of "macho" attached to it.. But that's just my opinion.
The 36 gives you the full Bach forte fortissimo sound at a lesser overall volume, and it matches the trumpet section much better. So both the violas and the conductor is happier... Witch essentially makes the ones who pays happier.. Witch in the end makes us happier... 🤣
pedrombon

Post by pedrombon »

Tbarh wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:57 am

Brilliant!... I am thinking od doing the same!
A 36 bell section with a 42 slide receiver works really great. If someone is interested and wants to save time and money, here is a wonderful thing for sale:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... 00#p144600
Sonas Artist
Granada Brass
Orquesta Ciudad de Almería
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Last time I was at DJ's I played one of his "chocolate" 36s. It was freaky resonant, or maybe it was the acoustics of the garage, but freaky nonetheless.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

If I only had one horn to use it would be a .525 bore... I have a Rath R3 and it’s wonderful... I had an Elkhart Bach 36 that I really liked and it was fantastic... you can’t go wrong with that size.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
lupusargentus

Post by lupusargentus »

I played a 36B in college as a performance major. Where I went did not require a moose horn. I played in a lot of pit orchestras and it was darn near perfect. Good for third part in big band, any part in concert band, and tenor parts in a smaller orchestra.
HySUN

Post by HySUN »

$1200 is a good price if it's in nice shape. I've seen some go for less than that, most for more. eBay currently lists US-located examples ranging from about $1250-$2300, but this year has been hard on many people's finances and if it's been sitting unsold for a while the current owner may be willing to take what they can get.
[/quote]

how much should i pay for a 1987 bach 36b, in good condition online?
HySUN

Post by HySUN »

As for me, I’ve tried many horns to beat out the Bach and while some may look a lot cooler and have more “bling” or customization options, they never quite match the sound, feel, presence. I bought my 36 at dillon music. I was actually on my way to purchase a Rath R3F, which I tried at the factory in England while on tour in the UK. While they were getting the paperwork I picked up this horn, it was beat up. Gave it a blow and was amazed. There was a family searching for a horn for their son before he left for college. I politely asked them all to turn around, listen to me play some scales, excerpts, and improv without seeing the horns, and tell me which they thought sounded best. All four family members unanimously chose the Bach 36 over the Rath. I bought the Bach instead...saving $3500!!!

how much did you pay for it? which years model? is 1987 a good year?
HySUN

Post by HySUN »

If you don't mind, How much did you pay for it? which years model?
Is 1987 a good year as make of Bach 36? how much should i pay for a good conditioned on line?
thank you!
HySUN

Post by HySUN »

Is 1987 a good year as make of Bach 36? how much should i pay for a good conditioned on line?
thank you!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

$800-$1800 is my ballpark. It really depends on condition and if it has a valve or not. A souped up one with a Greenhoe valve or Rotax might go for more. Mt. Vernon I've seen go higher... maybe up to $3k?
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

I picked up a 36B corporation for $400 locally with the original case a year and a half ago, I couldn't believe it. No it's not a looker. A lady sold it to me, as it was her late husband's high school band horn. She just wanted someone to use it. I sent the slide off to the Slide Dr and it came back like a new slide.

My entire college career could have been a lot easier had I just played this 36B. It's so much easier to blow then my 42T and my kind of chunky Haagman 42AG. Maybe it doesn't have the wide dynamics of a 42, but it does have a pick up and go kind of blow. There is something magical, difficult to describe -- from the corporation bell too.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

wonder if you could achieve a similar result with screw bells on both.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

jacobgarchik wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:43 pm

wonder if you could achieve a similar result with screw bells on both.
Perhaps, I think that would be one of the more destructive ways. The horn I have will have a large connector (as well as my 36 slide). I'll also have 3 bells to swap in and out, one of which is a 36
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Bach42t wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:33 pmMy entire college career could have been a lot easier had I just played this 36B. It's so much easier to blow then my 42T and my kind of chunky Haagman 42AG.
But then you'd have made your username Bach36b and the world would be totally different as a result!
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I love my 36.
I've had 2. Got my 1st new in 91 with standard valve. Stupidly traded it in for a bass!
Recently got my used 36k. Took a while to get used to the big valve.
Played many Bb/ F & straight 36's owned by bands I've played with. Much prefer them to the bach 42.
Will do everything, tho I've taken to using my bach 12, simply for the lighter weight. (We've been in lockdown, so no rehearsals)
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've owned a couple 36s. The straight MV 36 was my favorite. If I were a Bach guy, I'd play a 36.
MichaelMedrick

Post by MichaelMedrick »

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I worked with a Bach 36 and a Bach 50B2 for decades, the early 80s until we hit the situation we are in now.

I never intended to be a full time symphonic player. That said, I have done played in that genre. I have done much more commercial, musical theater and jazz work.

The 36 works for me with a larger mouthpiece, progressively for me a 5, then a 4 rim. The 36-42 bell are a matter of trimming the bell to 8 or 8.5 inches. I have had a convertible set up about 10+ years and tried the 42 versus the 36 bell. It's a visual thing. If I have to play in a situation with .547 "Advocates", I hide behind the 8.5 bell. Otherwise, I do me.
The 36 slide can be made more open blowing thru various lead pipes. They make a difference, again, albeit, to me. Edwards .525 pipes, for instance...#2 is more open than a stock 36 pipe. #3..pack a lunch. Way open.

At this stage, I prefer the Hoelle unbraced tuning slide to a Bach Stock tuning slide, tenor and bass. It feels like it is a little more "resonant". YMMV.

F ATT. - Get that thing un-soldered from the bell itself and braced to the bell braces. I think that would cure 99% of the "My F Att is stuffy"...there are so many subjective variables to that situation which WE try to solve with equipment and and wraps.

The BOOR-size experts are partial right. I totally agree with the Right Tool for the Job edict.
Do I know trombonists that play .500/.508 and .547? Sure.

Discouraging anyone with less than 10 years under their belt of playing a medium bore horn for whatever endeavor is snobbery, unless that student is nearly for certainly headed to a symphonic job. Jazz Tbn Snobs are just as bad. Neither side of that hairball of tepid advice does a competent job of pushing back against a weak part of human nature...the comfort of everyone else doing like YOU do.

Sorry if this is a little rambling. I have watched students get bad advice time and time again without objective thought from their teachers. That is on my list of Things I Learned NOT to Do. There are pelnty of examples. Sometimes we don't see the damage soon enough.
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Finetales wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:12 pm
But then you'd have made your username Bach36b and the world would be totally different as a result!

I didn't think of that. Well, Bach42T has always had a nice ring to it. :lol:

Return to “Instruments”