Carol Brass

Reedman1

Carol Brass

Post by Reedman1 »

For about the past month, I’ve been playing a Carol Brass CTB-2209-YST-YNNN-N3. I know, the name really rolls off the tongue, right? But I’m pleased to report that it’s a very good trombone. This is a .508 bore straight bone, with a yellow brass 8” bell. It’s very nicely made, and comes with a basic but lightweight and functional case. I find it’s responsive, well in tune with itself, and sounds like I want it to sound. It’s reasonably light for a .508, and has an excellent left-hand grip that really helps distribute the weight and keep it balanced in the hand. It also happens to be really inexpensive. I opted for this instead of the new XO 1634 because of the price advantage, and I chose it over a used similarly priced 3B or Bach 16 or what have you because I could get a brand new horn with no wear. Verdict: I’m quite happy with it. If you want to know more about it, or see pictures, Dillon and Rich Ita’s Brass Instrument Workshop are stocking dealers.
Last edited by Reedman1 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo Bri

Re: Carol Brass

Post by Neo Bri »

Good info. I've been intrigued by their high brass for a long time but haven't had the chance to play one yet. Didn't even know they made trombones.

I think these are made in Taiwan, if I'm not mistaken.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Don Rugg at California Music Supply was also a Carol Brass dealer, and was a big fan of their trumpets, but that store seems to have disappeared. Made at a sophisticated factory in Taiwan – not China. I'm not surprised that their trombones are well-made.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

I have had a couple of 2209s and a 2229 (.508” with an attachment). I liked them, but they seemed to play smaller than the .508” would lead you to think. It was very tight through the tuning slide and the bell throat was very narrow. I could not use a harmon mute and had to sand down the corks a good bit on a cup and straight mute to make them work to any degree. Very well-made horns though. My local tech is also a dealer but mainly deals with the trumpets.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I have a friend up in Buffalo NY who's a Carol Brass dealer and a fine trumpet player, and both their trumpets and trombones seem to well designed and well made. They have some nice less-common options and finishes, such as large bell pocket trumpets, 3B-like .508s with F, satin finishes, slide trumpets, etc. I don't play one but a friend picked up their 3B style bone recently and is in love with it.

I believe they come in through Canada, if I'm not mistaken. I think they're a definite cut above the stencil horns and mass produced crap that's out there. Very happy to hook anyone up with my dealer pal if anyone wants, just shoot me a PM.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Klimchak wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 am I have had a couple of 2209s and a 2229 (.508” with an attachment). I liked them, but they seemed to play smaller than the .508” would lead you to think. It was very tight through the tuning slide and the bell throat was very narrow. I could not use a harmon mute and had to sand down the corks a good bit on a cup and straight mute to make them work to any degree. Very well-made horns though. My local tech is also a dealer but mainly deals with the trumpets.
I see that you bought and sold a Butler JJ (.508). Is it possible you just don't like .508 horns that much? Or are there some you do like, but just not the ones from Carol and Butler?
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

Nope, love me a good 3B. The carol brass was much brighter and zingier for me than what is normally expected out of a .508” sized horn. I think they are made well. They may have changed the bell taper at some point as it has been a couple of years since I have played one.

The Butler was a completely different thing. I loved the .508” slide on a 6H bell, but the carbon fiber bell section just did not work for me. I think more than anything it was the very different feedback to the player that made me struggle with it.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Aha - thanks for the clarification. I don’t find my Carol particularly bright sounding; I try to manage that with mouthpiece and embouchure for the most part, though. And of course what you and I regard as bright may be different.
I spent a year playing a 2B with a Peppy bell and a Butler slide. Loved it, but wound up wanting a bigger, fuller sound, hence the Carol. Haven’t had the the opportunity to play an honest-to-God 3B, but this will do for now. I still have my eye on Butler for the future...
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Carol Brass is making some high end products. I believe that their trumpet valve blocks are being used by other small makers and Austin Custom Brass out of Kansas City has a line of trumpets and trombones in their name made by Carol Brass.
slidewriter

Post by slidewriter »

Klimchak wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 am I have had a couple of 2209s and a 2229 (.508” with an attachment).
I purchased this 2229 and am really enjoying it. I find the brightness to be acceptable, but I naturally play dark and I don’t think anything can be too bright for me 🙂.
Gfactor

Post by Gfactor »

My two cents - I took a borrowed 3B into the store and played it alongside a Carol 2209. I found the 3B to be noticeably superior - freer blowing, more responsive with a more mellow sound. Not really a criticism given the price difference between the horns, but enough to convince me the Carol horn is not a cheap substitute for the 3B.
Pozanos

Post by Pozanos »

I have also tried a 2229 small bore with F-valve. It is built well, the slide is good, it was just too small for me. I usually play a large bore Blessing B88, which is also kind of a narrow slide, but still the ergonomics is better for me. With the Carol I was always fighting with my neck to position myself to a centered position for the mouthpiece. Good instrument, just not the right one for me.

Return to “Instruments”