Info on Bach Mercedes trombone

Jpechroer

Info on Bach Mercedes trombone

Post by Jpechroer »

I come across a Bach Mercedes trombone w a 8 inch bell and bell inscription “Vincent Bach Corp USA” the slide actually has some chromed out pieces and looks like a Stradivarius slide if I’ve ever seen one and not the typical brassed out models other Mercedes have. I’ve read Bach describe these and other horns as “stradivarious in desquise” the numbers are 10xx1. So I’m having problems dating this and obviously it’s after New York and my Vernon , but my question is is it early elkhart days? The case that was provided w it reminds me of a connstellation case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send pics if that would help.
Thanks
Joe Schroer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jpechroer on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Info on Bach Mercedes trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Mercedes was intended as a "step up" horn above the Bundy and below the Stradivarius. A modern equivalent would be the TB-200.

Most were made in the 1950s to 1970s.

Since you don't seem to be selling this instrument, I'm moving this post to the regular Instruments section.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I've never come across a Mercedes, only the Mercedes II that followed, but I have heard that the Mercedes was considerably better, designed by Bach himself and basically a Strad minus the nickle trim. With that serial #, it sounds like an early Elkhart.
Is it 36-sized? How does it play?
I, for one, would live to see pics.
Jpechroer

Post by Jpechroer »

I’ll ad some pics here to the original post, the serial numbers are 10,339 and it has an 8 in bell but a .500 bore? Another strange thing is that it’s in a what looks like a “conn connstellation” case minus any conn markings. I take it that it’s an elkhart case. The horn blows really well considering it’s probably been in a closet for a while.
Jpechroer

Post by Jpechroer »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 pm Mercedes was intended as a "step up" horn above the Bundy and below the Stradivarius. A modern equivalent would be the TB-200.

Most were made in the 1950s to 1970s.

Since you don't seem to be selling this instrument, I'm moving this post to the regular Instruments section.
I didn’t say it wasn’t for sale
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Thanks for posting the pictures. It does look a lot like a Strad! I wonder if it could have been a factory 2nd; not quite meeting Bach's high standards to be a Strad.

Return to “Instruments”