Roy Benson Alto Trombone

Hudsonband

Roy Benson Alto Trombone

Post by Hudsonband »

Does anyone have any experience with a Roy Benson FL-201 Eb Alto Trombone? I am interested in any opinions on this instrument.
Fruitysloth

Re: Roy Benson Alto Trombone

Post by Fruitysloth »

I've got something similar to it, and it plays alright for what I need it to do(local orchestra, some brass sextet stuff). It's usually hit or miss with the Chinese brands of altos, which I'm sure both the Roy Benson and mine are. The Leadpipe from Hornguys (Stauffer I think) has been reported to help with some of the response and intonation issues. Anything above a community orchestra, and I'd recommend something else.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Fruitysloth wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm I've got something similar to it, and it plays alright for what I need it to do(local orchestra, some brass sextet stuff). It's usually hit or miss with the Chinese brands of altos, which I'm sure both the Roy Benson and mine are. The Leadpipe from Hornguys (Stauffer I think) has been reported to help with some of the response and intonation issues. Anything above a community orchestra, and I'd recommend something else.
Stauffer which is made by Kanstul is no longer avaible. If you want a good cheap alto then get the JP Rath alto.
Alternatively you can try your luck with a regulat chinese. horn. Some of them are actually pretty decent!
Last edited by JCBone on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fruitysloth

Post by Fruitysloth »

JCBone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:05 pm
Fruitysloth wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm I've got something similar to it, and it plays alright for what I need it to do(local orchestra, some brass sextet stuff). It's usually hit or miss with the Chinese brands of altos, which I'm sure both the Roy Benson and mine are. The Leadpipe from Hornguys (Stauffer I think) has been reported to help with some of the response and intonation issues. Anything above a community orchestra, and I'd recommend something else.
Stauffer which is made by Kanstul is no longer avaible. If you want a good cheap alto then get the JP Rath alto.
Alternatively you can try your luck with a regulat chinese. Some of them are actually pretty ok!
Aw man, I didn't know that! My Chinese alto plays pretty okay as is, so I haven't seen the need to upgrade anything as of yet. As of today, it looks like Horn Guys may still have some of the pipes in stock. Also yes! I should have mentioned the JP Rath. That horn looks super solid for under 1K.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
JakeRoberts69

Post by JakeRoberts69 »

Hi,

I've played on a roy benson for my entire higher ed career. Honestly, I've preferred it to some professional horns I've tried, and some big names have not confronted me about it! It is a great instrument to learn on, and for me, I have just kept learning on it!

best,
jr

Return to “Instruments”