Butler Screw Bell Question

muschem

Butler Screw Bell Question

Post by muschem »

I'm considering picking up a Butler JJ model, and I'm looking at the screw bell option for travel convenience and tone focus benefits. My question is one of balance. I'd like to get the bling (gold plate), but the default bell ring cannot be plated, as it is aluminum. If they use brass for the ring instead, I'm a bit concerned about disturbing the horn's balance, as brass is around 3x as dense as aluminum. What say ye? Legitimate concern, or fugget about it?
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Splendour

Re: Butler Screw Bell Question

Post by Splendour »

Aluminum can be anodized in a variety of colours, including gold.
Samdance

Post by Samdance »

I have a Butler. They are already slide heavy so putting weight on the bell with a brass ring might be a significant issue.
muschem

Post by muschem »

Splendour wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am Aluminum can be anodized in a variety of colours, including gold.
I hadn't considered anodizing as a possible option. I'll check with David to see if they can offer that. Thanks!
Samdance wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:22 pm I have a Butler. They are already slide heavy so putting weight on the bell with a brass ring might be a significant issue.
That is great feedback. I haven't put hands on one, so I wasn't sure how much of an issue it might be. Thanks!
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Even on an all-brass horn, a brass ring adds a significant weight exactly where you don't want it (way out to the left and forward). I'd love a lighter option. On a carbon fiber horn, I imagine it would be exacerbated.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
muschem

Post by muschem »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 pm Even on an all-brass horn, a brass ring adds a significant weight exactly where you don't want it (way out to the left and forward). I'd love a lighter option. On a carbon fiber horn, I imagine it would be exacerbated.
If anodized aluminum isn't an option (I'll relay David's response on that question), do you think a counterweight at the tuning slide would help? I'm less concerned with overall weight than balance, given that these are so light to begin with. But, you raise a good point with regard to where the weight is - not only front, but left of center. Seems the slide probably shifts balance to right of center on these, so maybe that axis is less of an issue in this case. Thanks for the thoughts.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I think counterweight will help, but yes, having it pull so far to the left is the worst part.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:54 pm I think counterweight will help, but yes, having it pull so far to the left is the worst part.
The weight to the left might just make it have a more normal lean, even if not proportional to the overall weight of the horn.

Of course, it probably won't be as comfortably light.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
muschem

Post by muschem »

I received a response from Dave clarifying the options to address the weight/balance concern. Apparently, anodized aluminum is an option, which would keep the weight essentially the same at their standard screw bell ring. Another option is black delrin, which is even lighter than aluminum. The latter is the option I'm going to pursue, and I'll update here in a few months when I've had a chance to play on the finished product.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

I'm consistently impressed by the weight savings in the trombone industry. Delrin is one sixth as dense as brass, and about half as dense as aluminum.

Definitely interested to hear how Delrin holds up in this use case.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
RobH

Post by RobH »

Brass rings have been used on regular brass trombones so I can't imagine that the weight differential will be overly significant. Black derlin sounds like a great option with the gloss option, but I would be concerned about mis-threading the screw threads.
I ordered my JJ with gold plated brass rings 🙂
Played for 10 years, relearning now after a 33 year break!
muschem

Post by muschem »

My Butler JJ build came in the mail this morning. I haven't given it a thorough test drive yet, but in terms of balance, the delrin choice turned out great. Beyond being unbelievably light overall, the balance is wonderful... the bell ring doesn't pull balance to the left at all. I suppose time will tell on the durability of the threads, but I haven't run into any issues with my DE lexan rims (different material, I know... but closest comparison I could think of), and I've had at least one of those for more than 20 years now.

I'll post some pics of the delrin ring when I have a chance. I'm sure the gloss option would have looked nice as well, but I went with the matte finish. Paired with the gold plate on the metal parts, I think it looks pretty sharp.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone

Return to “Instruments”