Compared a 2B, a 3B-F, and a Getzen student horn

Kingfan

Compared a 2B, a 3B-F, and a Getzen student horn

Post by Kingfan »

I lucked into a nice Getzen 400 series (451?) student trombone for cheap. I sat down today and compared it to my 1960s King 2B and my 1970s King 3B-F. I am an oddball for who larger than normal mouthpieces fit me best even on small bores, so my results may be skewed. When I started playing my 3B-F as primary vs. my 4B-F/Bach 5G, I went through the normal mps from Bach 7 and up with no luck until Doug suggested a Bach 5 size. I have the original 5 I bought as backup to the DE mouthpiece that is similar to it and started by using both mouthpieces, but the one I wasn't playing on kept getting cold so I "hot swapped" the DE piece between all three horns when I was playing. I though this would also level the playing field more. I will add that I found out after COVID shut down the bands I was in, I have picked up the horns maybe two hours total since March.

I started off with some big band charts, fast and slow and high and low. Brass quintet arrangement of Birdland with the trombone having lots of melody and notes up to high D octave and and above middle C. Maynard Ferguson versions of Chameleon and Country Road. Dee Barton arrangement of Here's That Rainy Day, low and slow. Wolpe arrangement of How High The Moon, high and fast. I then switched to Morceau Symphonique, that old warhorse classical solo. I was going to try etudes next, but my lip was waving the white flag of surrender so quit at that point. What did I find?

I don't like the 2B as much as I thought. Seems to back up on me, even with the larger mouthpiece. Physically it seemed too small, bore out by the fact that the bell is 1/4" closer to the slide receiver than on the 3B. I could cut through on high notes better on the other horns than on the 2B.

Once the slide of the Getzen got sufficient lube spread around (it had sat for 10 years until I bought it a week ago and I had to work to clean dried up lube off the slide) it seemed as good at the other two. even though it is heavier. The kitchen scale says my 3B outer slide is 7.94, my 2B is 8.02 ounces, and the Getzen is 8.22 ounces.

I thrive on bigger mouthpieces than most, so my results may not match yours would have been. I may have gotten a Getzen at the high end of the bell curve of those horns, and my 2B might be at the low end of the curve. That said, based on my experience, I would put the Getzen in the same class as a Yam 354 (yes, I owned one so am very familiar with them) or other good US built student horns. Another takeaway is that I got to make myself practice more than once every three months.... :roll:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
walldaja

Re: Compared a 2B, a 3B-F, and a Getzen student horn

Post by walldaja »

Getzen's are good horns. I dug through a bunch of King 60Xs, some Conns, and chose a Getzen as the best of the litter based on sound and overall condition. Glad you enjoy yours.
Dave

2020ish? Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4

Return to “Instruments”