What's on your Wishlist?

hyperbolica

What's on your Wishlist?

Post by hyperbolica »

I started playing again after a 10 year hiatus in 2013. Since then I've been on this meandering quest, ambling sometimes gently, sometimes frenetically through trombone-land in search of whatever I can find. I don't think I'm looking for "the one", because I'm not that disciplined. I'm just familiarizing myself with the landscape.

For the first 20 years of my trombone life, I played a single instrument - a 1968 88h. It lived with me through high school, music school, and 4 years in the Navy without any serious damage. It's a beautiful horn and a wonder to play. More than one tech has told me I've got a great one.

But such single minded fidelity - even to the fairest of the fair - can sometimes leave you wondering what else is out there. And so I strayed. Now it's hard to get back on the path again.

The first horn I picked up after my 88h was probably the most beautiful of the lot, and the biggest learning experience. It was an angelic pristine silver plated 79h. I've never seen anything like it before or since. And it played like a dream. It's pretty rough starting an adventure on the pinnacle, it makes almost everything else seem like a let down. That horn was amazing. It must have sat in a closet for 50 years. But in the end, I'm a practical guy - no collector here, and this instrument was far too pretty for me to play, so I sold it. And that started this wandering through the wilds.

In the last 8 years I've bought and sold dozens of horns. Not for profit, but just for the experience of owning and playing them. Sometimes modifying them, sometimes not, sometimes playing them for months, sometimes only a few minutes. I've kissed a lot of frogs in that time, but there have also been some memorable ones. Then when I'm done, or wish to move on to something else, I release them back into the wild for someone else to enjoy. Somehow I've managed to keep the stable to 15 or under, and I'm at about 9 right now, from small tenors to basses, including a euphonium and a tuba.

If I could only have one instrument, it would be the one I started with, that '68 88h. A close second would be a modified 79h that is not as pretty as that silver plated one, but plays every bit as well, and I won't feel guilty if I tap the tuning slide on a stand.

And yet there remain a lot of horns I haven't had the pleasure of dancing with yet.

So, what horns are on your list of aspirations? They may not become your "desert island" horn (79h), or the one you cling to on your death bead (88h), but they are stories you'd like to be able to tell in the future.

Here's my wish list:

- Rath R3 with 8" nickel bell
- Rath R2 with 7.75" yellow bell
- Holton tr180 with split triggers 9.5" bell
- Olds P24g (I foolishly sold the first one I had)
- Butler carbon fiber bass. Not sure I want to own one, but I would like to play one
- Conn 32h with widened slide that still plays like a 32h
- valved instrument shaped like a bell front baritone, but larger bore in F a la Jim Self (skinny tuba or wrapped cimbasso)
- C/Bb/F compact bass a la Gunter Frost

On this adventure, I've also made a list of favorite and least favorite horns:

Favorites:

- Bach 50b2 closed wrap. Nice horn, didn't know what I had, sold it.
- Holton tr159. Absolutely no use for this, but it was a great tweener
- Olds P24g - no one I played with liked this instrument, but I did.
- 38h Connstellation predecessor to the 48h - maybe the perfect 500 bore
- 48h, I've had a couple, love these horns
- 32h - I love the grainy sound, don't like the narrow slide
- 8h I had a UMI that was really perfect, should not have sold it
- a prototype Wessex dual valve tenor. WOW.
- Wessex Urbie Green 4501 copy. Just a really great 500 bore, very even top to bottom
- Courtois ac402 508 bore. This feels like a small bore 88h.
- Kanstul 1662i if I can get past the binding valves, this has a great sound in the lower half of the staff and down, but the rest of it requires some patience. This horn could go on faves and least faves.

Least Favorite:

- Kanstul 760. Hands down the brightest, shrillest, most annoying sound I've ever heard
- Holton tr181 - unwieldy, unfocused, hard to rein in, like blowing up an inflatable raft with a hole in it
- Selmer Bolero w/F smelled bad - dead sound
- 72h I've tried to like these horns, and I just can't do it. they seem too thin and limited
- 78h as much as I love the 79h, I just can't get into the 78h. I think it's the missing weight of the F attachment
- Some medium bore Reynolds. Something fundamentally non-Conn-ish about it.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180

Re: What's on your Wishlist?

Post by WGWTR180 »

Gigs.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Another 72H!
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:07 amGigs.
This
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Chops.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I wish for gigs for those of us who depend on them for a living. I have more trombones than I can ever play and no ability/opportunity to play them (as well as two Euphs and 3 tubas).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

Gigs, sorta. I don't have any paid gigs ever so that's not for me but I do want it for those who rely on it, ala Bruce. I definitely want the ability to sit in a pit orchestra again for sure.

As far as horns go, a Butler single rotor valve 9" bass trombone bell section I can pair with my 62H/Butler slide and a nicer tuba, probably an Eastman 226 (3/4 size, 4v).
Last edited by EOlson9 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Totally understand that gigs are highest on the wishlist for the pros here and also high on the list for all those who play just for fun.

Still if we talk about horns:
- Throja or Pfretzschner alto
- Conn 35h alto
- A nice small tenor (smaller than my Bolero)
- Bass trumpet
- Old Kruspe bass
- Maybe a Greenhoe TIS Conn-style bass
- Lätzsch contra
- Euphonium

But all of these are completely unreasonable wishes - according to my wife I probably don't have a good reason for at least 2/3 of my current collection. But I am very glad that she is so accepting :-D
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Another for gigs.... I've been playing with other people since I was 11. It's not about the money, it's about making music....it keeps me sane .
If I had any wish, it would be a King 2B or one of Mick Rath's small horns, just in case play alongs are all that's left for me.

Chris
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Gigs.

On the eequipment front, I've been pretty lucky aquiring horns i like and intend to keep save for a few. I really wish i can get the 72H i traded away. It was a horrible deal. And i would like a 38H.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Gigs, yeah, that’d be nice. I feel for those that need gigs to live off. As a rank amateur I’d be happy enough with some decent rehearsals.

On my wish list are:
- Commissioning W.Rapp to build me a large bore tenor trombone with detachable valve, hand-crafted quality from a true craftsman, I think that would last me a lifetime
- Getting my old B&H Imperial euphonium fully restored, I’ve had it since I was about 10yo and even then it’d already seen a lot of use. I realise it’s probably an uneconomical endeavour, it’s purely sentimental
- Rath R9
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Gigs will return.

After 57 years of playing, I’m still waiting for chops.

Wishlist:

A Bach small bore bell section. Maybe a better alto (I’ve got a JP/Rath at the moment).
Last edited by Bach5G on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Peacemate

Post by Peacemate »

I'm just left wanting a bass, an alto, and a jazz sized tenor. A Butler (person or trombone) is definitively on my wishlist too.
Student in Sweden, usually looking for more trombones
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Last edited by JCBone on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

I wish for gigs to return to those that rely on them, like others have stated. For me, I want them to come back to break the monotony of work.

As for instruments?
– Kuhnl and Hoyer .512 with F
– M & W bass trombone, single bore, independent traditional wrap in F/G/Eb in the vein of the 70H
– Custom F Bass trombone with modern proportions in F/D/CC
– Thein BBb contrabass trombone
– Meinl Weston Fafner. I've heard nothing but good about these tubas.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Blenky

Post by Blenky »

Rehearsal sessions with a full band and a beer with good friends afterwards, a gig would be nice, not professional though.

Trombone playing is my crutch through bouts of anxiety/depression. The last year has been tough for me for that reason.

Instrument wise, I'd love a decent 79h, but recently got to blow a Rath R3F and fell head over heels. A session at Mick's may be in my future.
Conn 88HTCL
Yamaha YSL-640
Rath R900

Doug Elliot XT Silver103, Lexan103, G, G8, G4, EUPH Lexan103, I, I8
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

EOlson9 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:10 am ...pit orchestra again for sure.
Second for pit! :good:
I just starting participating in our pit for the local theater before the 'Rona hit.
Nice challenge and great fun.

Just a few of the many on my list (most seem somewhat reasonably attainable barring disposable income levels :lol: ):

Yamaha 648R
Yamaha Phoenix
King 3B or 3B+; preferable silver.
Martin Urbie Green
Reynolds Argenta (pre RMC)
Olds Recording/Super Recording
Getzen 1050
Conn 44H
Something German
Bb Contrabass
Something carbon w/F attachment; deCarbo, Butler, etc
Last edited by Vegastokc on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Okay as I started the Gig wish list request I'll also chime in with an instrument wish list choice to keep it on track. I'd love to have a good contra!!! I thought about buying a bad one just to learn but I'd hold out for a great one!!
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

I will also say gig!

As far as horns/parts:
1) Shires Custom Bass: BIISS Bell (Detachable?), SC Tuning Slide, Inline Axials, B62-78 nickel crook Slide, B2L Leadpipe

2) Shires Custom Tenor: 1SS Bell (Detachable?), SY Tuning Slide, Axial Valve, TW47 nickel crook slide, Kanstul BB Leadpipe (not available anymore)

3) King Duo Gravis with SilverSonic Bell

4) Bach 36B closed wrap Corporation era

5) Bach 42B closed wrap Corporation era

6) Bach 50 Corp Bell with Shires attachments

7) King Duo Gravis SilverSonic Bell with Shires attachments

8) Shires BII 1G Detachable Bell

9) King 3B SilverSonic

10) Contrabass of some sort (haven't tried any yet)

11) 4 valve compensating Eastman Euphonium or Yamaha

12) Alexander Rotary Bass Trumpet

In reality I really would be fine with a lot fewer horns than this. I love the two main horns I have now and they work great. These are just dream horns I would love to try. Really I would be fine with spending my money on 1,2,4,5,6, and 11. The rest are really low on the want to try, more just would be cool to try/own.
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

*King 3BSS (I don't play jazz but I heard that they have an awesome sound and I think it would be cool to play around on)
*Rath R9ST
* An F Contra
* Yamaha YEP642TSII euphonium
Elow

Post by Elow »

Live music, in person lessons, also a small bore that i like maybe a bach of some sorts, a sterling shires bass bell, bass slide with gold outers dual bore, a trashed up bach 50 to fix up
somethings that i can mark off my wishlist, a set of rotors for my bass, a mouthpiece that i’m happy to play on, a car that can fit more than a bass
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

A local British-style brass band to play in. I miss that sound, and I miss being part of it.

As far as gear... I'm pretty happy with what I've got. My current Besson euphonium is exactly what I want, no wishes for anything else. I doubt I could find a bass that would make me happier than my Holton 180, short of getting a custom build from Matthew Walker. And I don't have strong enough preferences (or enough skill) on tenor trombone to care too much about anything being "better" than what I already have. A Martin Urbie Green would be cool and perhaps better than my 4H, but any difference would be wasted on me.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I miss gigs, but because I miss playing with other people more than anything else. Chris nailed it on the head. And with that, the after-gig hangs as well.

Equipment wise, most of what I want I have or it's in the works... can't wait for some projects to finish!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

spencercarran wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:55 pm A local British-style brass band to play in. I miss that sound, and I miss being part of it.

I was just a few rehearsals in with a brand new band in LA on principal euphonium... it was shaping up to be really neat. Another story for the before times.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:05 pm
spencercarran wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:55 pm A local British-style brass band to play in. I miss that sound, and I miss being part of it.

I was just a few rehearsals in with a brand new band in LA on principal euphonium... it was shaping up to be really neat. Another story for the before times.
Such a fun style of group to play in. Unfortunately even in the before times the Chicago Brass Band is above my pay grade (they compete in NABBA Championship section) and way over on the other end of town, so I haven't played in a brass band since high school.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

I’ve already said gigs. For instruments, I have two:
A tuba to teach on, and a 508 bore with an F attachment. I have tried the Shires MD+ and liked it, but for the work I would use it for I need a valve, and I don’t think Shires offers that. Not that I’ve seen, anyway...
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

cmcslide wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:39 pm I’ve already said gigs. For instruments, I have two:
A tuba to teach on, and a 508 bore with an F attachment. I have tried the Shires MD+ and liked it, but for the work I would use it for I need a valve, and I don’t think Shires offers that. Not that I’ve seen, anyway...
I'm pretty they would do it if you ásked.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Cam - I have an Edwards .508 that I had set up for a detachable valve, using a King 3B valve section that a friend had removed from one of his Kings. The Edwards are set up already with a detachable neckpipe, so it was pretty easy using a used pipe bought on the classifieds with the inexpensive valve section.

Not ideal ergonomics - hasn't been enough of a priority to put the cash into getting a tech to design a new linkage that would make it fit my hand better. I think that a removable valve would be a good option for more companies to offer for small bores and altos.

Jim Scott
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

It's more than just gigs. For those of us who do it for a living, it's our entire career. Even if we've managed to get paid to remotely record or write music every once in a while during the pandemic (as I have), it is but a shell and not anywhere near enough to live on.

Anyway, as for equipment...I have multiple spreadsheets. Left to my own devices and unlimited money I'd probably 7 figures invested in brass instruments, and another 7 figures invested in a place to store and play them all. So I'll do a semi-realistic trombone-only wishlist.

- A great-playing Conn 6H
- A contra. Any will do, as long as it has C/Db valve tuning. My brain can't handle D/Bb.
- ATB sackbuts.
- A nice medium-large tenor.
- An alto. Conn 36H or that large bore Wessex if one ever shows up for sale again.
- A real soprano trombone, preferably large bore (~.500") with F
- A "tweener" horn, like an 88HK or 5B or what have you. I have no reason to need one but I want one.
- Williams 6.
- B&S Erde .547" alto with Bb attachmnt
- Laetzsch F alto

It would be cool to go ham at Shires or Rath or M&W with a whole set of bespoke trombones, but I think I would have everything on this list (except the last two) before I got even one custom modular horn. I LOVE them, but can't justify that cost when I love my vintage horns so much.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I`m pretty lucky in that I have a herd of really fantastic horns, However.........
There`s always that next one......
I`d love to try an Olds P-24G Bass
I`d love to have a Bach Lt39G Alto to try
I`m getting itch for a double trigger bass, I have a wonderful Yamaha 321 single trigger bass
No Money matters......
King 6B Dou Gravis silver sonic with a converted split trigger
A Giardinelli Tenor sackbut
Other than that I`m cool
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

I've always had a thing for copper bells.
I want a copper belled euphonium, and a Blessing 88-R copper bell mounted onto a better instrument.
I'd also want like, my existing Reynolds Contempora to be made more advanced in technology in some form. I like how it plays but I can tell it is old as hell with its single trigger configuration.

Outside of copper-bell-landia, I want a Holton large bore trombone. Nobody plays on them, and I want to see why.
A bass trumpet would be great for the right price, but this barely happens. Tubas are the same way; I'd like a front-action four valve tuba that can serve me well.
Heresy, but I'd like a Conn 5G valve section so I can finally get rid of my Elkhorn by Getzen valve trombone.
A King 3B slide would be cool, but so would both a Getzen Frumpet and a Conn 16E Mellophonium.

I pretty much want everything nobody else wants, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I like cool things. I like older horns that are cheap, good, have character, and serve a purpose for me. Those are my dream instruments.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Without question I want y’all to have gig and the other work you need. I’m in the other end of the spectrum the folks who are not tied to music who have been “working from home” that can be more aptly described as “living at work.” To be clear, this is not a complaint- not just because obviously it beats not having work/enough work - but also I genuinely enjoy what I do for a living. But the increased hours and demands have left far less time for non-work activities than you’d think when my commit is 2 steps per day than when it was 2 hours per day.

So mine isn’t gigs, it’s time.

Instrument wise. Meh. My sights are pretty low right now. I just want someone to pick up my pristine independent bass so I can get a utility .547 Bb/F and a little cash. I am much more in my element playing utility horns than shiny things.

But y’all getting gigs is so much more important! :)

Cheers
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Hobart wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:46 pm I've always had a thing for copper bells.
I want a copper belled euphonium, and a Blessing 88-R copper bell mounted onto a better instrument.
I'd also want like, my existing Reynolds Contempora to be made more advanced in technology in some form. I like how it plays but I can tell it is old as hell with its single trigger configuration.

Outside of copper-bell-landia, I want a Holton large bore trombone. Nobody plays on them, and I want to see why.
A bass trumpet would be great for the right price, but this barely happens. Tubas are the same way; I'd like a front-action four valve tuba that can serve me well.
Heresy, but I'd like a Conn 5G valve section so I can finally get rid of my Elkhorn by Getzen valve trombone.
A King 3B slide would be cool, but so would both a Getzen Frumpet and a Conn 16E Mellophonium.

I pretty much want everything nobody else wants, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I like cool things. I like older horns that are cheap, good, have character, and serve a purpose for me. Those are my dream instruments.
I think we have VERY similar tastes. Including the copper. And 4v front tubas. And Frumpet (I have one I’ve been converting to a trombone lead pipe).

Cheers
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I want bronze slide tubes (inner and outer) to make a comeback.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

JCBone wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:57 pm
cmcslide wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:39 pm I’ve already said gigs. For instruments, I have two:
I'm pretty they would do it if you ásked.
I don't doubt it. But for the moment, it leads back to more gigs to pay for it...
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Blenky wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am Rehearsal sessions with a full band and a beer with good friends afterwards, a gig would be nice, not professional though.

Trombone playing is my crutch through bouts of anxiety/depression. The last year has been tough for me for that reason.
You're reading my mind. Couldn't have said it better myself. Just to play in a live band with friends. I used to look forward to it every week. Nothing matches that feeling anymore.

As far as hardware? I'd start a project with BAC in Kansas City that would be based on my Duo Gravis to start. Then just keep making changes til I end up with something that gives me what I want: responsive, free blowing and really cool looking :good: I'd also like to have an Edwards B502D.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

I miss time to play, and an ensemble to play in. If we're talking hardware, I'm always lusting after alternative valves to add to my collection. Call it a morbid fascination, I just love big, awkward, unique and weird valves. I'd love to get my hands on a horn with a miller valve or a bach K valve right now. But they don't give them away...
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto

Return to “Instruments”