Contrabass... finally taking the plunge

deanmccarty

Contrabass... finally taking the plunge

Post by deanmccarty »

I have debated for the past 10-15 years on getting a contrabass. I have played Kanstul, Voigt, Haag, Rath, Wessex, and Thein. All of my other horns are Rath, and I really thought I would want that... but after playing them all... asking a lot of questions... and doing a lot of research... I have put in an order for a Jürgen Voigt contra with a gold brass 10.5” bell and their “free-flow” rotary valves.

I am excited to have finally decided to make the plunge... it’s something I have always wanted, but never purchased due to its limited use. But... it’s something I really want to do for me. This has renewed my excitement for playing... instead of it just being a job.

As soon as it comes in (supposedly the end of May) I will post pics.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
SwissTbone

Re: Contrabass... finally taking the plunge

Post by SwissTbone »

Yay! Nothing better than a new toy :-)
We want yo see and hear it of course!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Sorry you didn't find the Rath suited your needs. I like to think it is a very accessible instrument. The Voigt was the instrument that Kanstul copied...it's BIG but a good design....have fun !

Chris
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

FOSSIL wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm Sorry you didn't find the Rath suited your needs. I like to think it is a very accessible instrument. The Voigt was the instrument that Kanstul copied...it's BIG but a good design....have fun !

Chris
Chris I forgot. Do you have a Rath Contra? Several contras? :biggrin:
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:26 pm
FOSSIL wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm Sorry you didn't find the Rath suited your needs. I like to think it is a very accessible instrument. The Voigt was the instrument that Kanstul copied...it's BIG but a good design....have fun !

Chris
Hi Bill,
I have Rath contra 001, the prototype.... the development instrument that Mick and I worked on. still playing great.

Chris
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

FOSSIL wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:58 am

Hi Bill,
I have Rath contra 001, the prototype.... the development instrument that Mick and I worked on. still playing great.

Chris
Sweet!!!
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

Chris
Emphasis on BIG... I'd categorize it as a bona-fide air hog.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Aren't all contras like that? Or is the Voight particularly large compared to other contras?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

JCBone wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:31 am Aren't all contras like that? Or is the Voight particularly large compared to other contras?
Contras are one of the least standardized instruments, in many ways. There are lots of interpretations of the design. The Voigt/Kanstul is one of the largest.

I think Voigt makes several different models, though. Some may not be as big.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

Speaking of Voight. Has anybody tried their c contra?
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

When Mick set out to build a contra, we talked about what sort of instrument it should be, and decided that it should be accessible to bass players and very flexible for valve tunings. Previously I had used a Laetzch and though nothing of that instrument was carried over to the Rath, I suppose I had that instrument in my head as I tried things out at Mick's workshop. The Voigt and Kanstul feel like a big step down from bass, but they are very good, the Voigt being the better of the two. The Thein models I find very hard work, though they are pieces of art. Haag make a very fine model.

Chris
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

FOSSIL wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 am When Mick set out to build a contra, we talked about what sort of instrument it should be, and decided that it should be accessible to bass players and very flexible for valve tunings. Previously I had used a Laetzch and though nothing of that instrument was carried over to the Rath, I suppose I had that instrument in my head as I tried things out at Mick's workshop. The Voigt and Kanstul feel like a big step down from bass, but they are very good, the Voigt being the better of the two. The Thein models I find very hard work, though they are pieces of art. Haag make a very fine model.

Chris
I have almost no significant time on any contra.... so my experience is mostly worthless, but when I just popped through the Rath shop not long after they were tooled up; you nailed that design idea. Took less time to feel comfortable on that horn than it does for me to feel good on my own small tenor that I play repeatedly. I still think about that every time I see one for sale.

Cheers,
Andy
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Thanks Andy. 😁

Chris
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:10 am I think Voigt makes several different models, though. Some may not be as big.
So, it's the J-475 with slightly smaller bell? https://shop.voigt-brass.de/en/MASTER-I ... -CIMBASSO/

I once ten years ago visited their shop, and got the grande tour through the workshop. My family was impressed, as was I. Really fine craftsmanship.

Please let us know you experiences with it when it arrived. Have fun!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Hi Bill,

Chris
Is yours more or less this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

marccromme wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:26 pm So, it's the J-475 with slightly smaller bell?
Yes... I will have a 10.5” bell, gold brass, with the newer style “selmer” rim. No ornamentation on the tuning slide. Tuned in F/C/Db/A
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

WGWTR180 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi Bill,

Chris
Is yours more or less this?
More less than more...it seems to have changed quite a bit since 2004.... tube heading toward the bell, levers working differently...things change...

Chris
sf105

Post by sf105 »

The balance looks like it might be better on the new one.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

sf105 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:45 pm The balance looks like it might be better on the new one.
Nah !!! 🙄🙄

Chris
sf105

Post by sf105 »

FOSSIL wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:04 pm
sf105 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:45 pm The balance looks like it might be better on the new one.
Nah !!! 🙄🙄

Chris
That's a shame.
deanmccarty

Post by deanmccarty »

Chris
Rath turned out to be my 2nd choice... I know it would feel more natural to me due to the fact that all of my other horns are Rath... but... the price tag for what I want vs. the amount of use put the Voigt on top... the Rath, along with an appropriate stand and case would be a little over $4K more. The Voigt is a solid instrument... I will be very happy with it.
Dean McCarty

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

deanmccarty wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Chris
Rath turned out to be my 2nd choice... I know it would feel more natural to me due to the fact that all of my other horns are Rath... but... the price tag for what I want vs. the amount of use put the Voigt on top... the Rath, along with an appropriate stand and case would be a little over $4K more. The Voigt is a solid instrument... I will be very happy with it.
The Voight is a classy instrument..very well made. I have done the factory tour and was very impressed and was on a stand with them in Frankfurt one year. A nice family.
Price is always important for pro musicians....it's not a rich profession and we have to live within our means.
Have fun Dean

Chris

Return to “Instruments”