Silver Conn identity?

Jimbbob

Silver Conn identity?

Post by Jimbbob »

One more time for the trombone hive mind: do we know what this is?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elow

Re: Silver Conn identity?

Post by Elow »

Not much info to work off of, bell diameter and bore and we can find out model. My first instinct is that it’s a 4H
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

Thanks Elow. You've got what I've got. I'm trying to get a bit more info. Actually I do own a 4H, Elkhart era. Mine has the Conn counterweight on it, this one does not. I'll see what other info I can get!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Is this the one you posted before with the Union Label?

Is it High Pitch or Standard Pitch? Hint: if it's incredibly sharp -- almost in B natural -- it's in High Pitch. (It doesn't look like my High Pitch King).

Conn didn't start using letter model numbers until 1919. This could very well be the predecessor of the 4H. You need to measure the ID of the inner slide.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Looks a lot like a 4H. Friction fit means earlier make (1920s perhaps or even older)
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Could also be a 2H predecessor. The stamped letters below the union stamp would help identify it, or else the bore and bell measurements.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Case style is 1930's/early 1940's. Nickel-plated inners or chrome-plated inners? IME Conn began using chrome-plated inners in 1928. Bell engraving is identical to my 1927 and 1928 4H's, and the blueprinting appears identical as well, but the case interior has the same layout and cloth color as my 1941 24H.
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to go take a look at the horn and hope to get some additional information. I do own a 4H, and there are similarities. It's likely that's what this is. While much older (from the comments above), this one appears to cosmetically be in nice shape. I think the condition of the slide will trump all. I don't have a caliper, but I'll measure the bell and find out as much as I can. (Or I may just come home with it and post more pics)!
mfturner

Post by mfturner »

For what it's worth, the case cloth and materials look the same as my 1932 24h case, the layout has minor differences but is very similar (the retaining tabs are arranged differently, I have a block shaped to hold the counterweight in place). The bell decoration looks the same at a quick glance.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I believe the case is a generic (i.e. used by many manufacturers). It is similar in design to the case on my King 1115 (1930, TIS).

If you decide to buy it, slide condition is paramount, Older slides are much harder to work on.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

There was one other picture. If the case was designed to take the abuse and protect the horn, I guess mission accomplished:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Top image is the OP's horn; bottom image is my 1928 4H. Only very minor variations in the engraving.

Return to “Instruments”