New trombone - Max Enders

Windmill

New trombone - Max Enders

Post by Windmill »

Good evening :)

I just wanted to share with you a nice little horn i found today on Ebay. After a quick drive, it's mine now :shuffle:

This was made by Max Enders, in the city of Mainz (Germany.) It's all polished brass finish, no lacquer. Small bore (really small leadpipe, my usual mouthpiece sticks out more than in other instruments) and 7.5 bell. The craftmanship is astonishly good, the slide is HEAVY but i like it, it makes it slot very easily. It's quite a heavy trombone for such a small instrument. It plays amazingly good with a centered and clear sound, and gets a place in my heart straight away.

The design of the hand slide is pretty interesting. The whole cork barrel screws out and in to lock the slide. Can anybody guess which year it's possibly from ? The previous owner couldn't help, and there's no serial number, just "14" on the matching parts, and the name of the maker, M. Enders from Mainz.

Windmill

Re: New trombone - Max Enders

Post by Windmill »

Here's a small video of it playing :)

HowardW

Post by HowardW »

Windmill wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:00 pm The design of the hand slide is pretty interesting. The whole cork barrel screws out and in to lock the slide. Can anybody guess which year it's possibly from ? The previous owner couldn't help, and there's no serial number, just "14" on the matching parts, and the name of the maker, M. Enders from Mainz.
Max Enders was active in Mainz from ca. 1897; he died in 1925. He was succeeded by his sons Max and Paul, who used the signature M. Enders. The firm was last listed in the Mainz address book in 1949. So your trombone was made pre-1949.
Howard
Windmill

Post by Windmill »

Thanks for that info! :hi:

It indeed is in a super shape for such an old thing... Not a single spot of wear on the inners, no dent, no corrosion on the bare brass :)

Return to “Instruments”