Why does my 3B suck

FEWeathers

Re: Why does my 3B suck

Post by FEWeathers »

+1 on what hyperbolica said.

As for the 3B that J.J. Johnson played, it really rocked my world to learn that he (J.J.) eventually used a 3B bell with a 2B slide, "In fact, a lot of my recordings are with that combination."

See the ITA Journal, Summer 1988 interview of J.J. by Tom Everett, "J.J. Johnson: On The Road Again."
Elow

Post by Elow »

Since this thread was just brought up, my shires marshall gilkes came in finally. I like it, it’s a joy to play compared to my 3b which feels like i’m having to force every note out.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Enjoy, l envy you that Shires.
I enjoy my Jiggs 2B but won't play a 3B again
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I played a King 3b/f for many years. It was my first horn that I got from my grandfather, probably in 1977. I used it with a Bach 4C for everything until I bought my first horn with my own money which was a Conn 88h. I used the Conn for classical music and to prepare for Music College. I sold the 3b/f 1983 to one of my first students.

After military service I needed a smaller instrument again and bought a straight 3b and played that horn with a Bach 12C. It was when I studied at the Royal accademy of music - in Stockholm. I had that King 3b with a 12C for big band playing and liked it a lot. I used the horn until Ithe early 90-ies when it had an accident with the bell. I sold it and switched to a King 2b+ and a Bach 6 3/4C I liked the 2b+ better for first parts. I used that horn until 1996.

I played King trombones from 1977 to 1996. I like the power and the bright colours and crisp attacks that I can get out of a King. I also remember I needed to be in good shape to make most out the 3b. If not it could sound too bright and a bit brutal. This could happen if I hadn't practice enough. It was not a very forgiving horn. When I was in good shape the 3b was indeed a very nice horn with good articulations and a very dynamic sound.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Your King 3B didn't suck, I'd bet. Maybe just not the right fit for you
RobDorsey

Post by RobDorsey »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:19 pm From old measurements I have made of .508 bore leadpipes (only one sample of each):
King 3B .423
Bach 16M .412

H8 Burt Herrick style (from Kanstul's list): .422

Bach 16 dual bore (2 samples): .412, .424

The King is actually on the big side. But there's a lot more to a design than just the venturi size.
Hi Doug, I bought a mouthpiece set from you a few years back with a large shank. Good piece. But, on my 3B Silver Sonic (2000 vintage) I'm using an early M21. I have a small mouth and therefore a smaller embouchure and the M21 seems right. Played a small shank Reynolds for years and it was comfy but the wide soft rim on the M21 seems to work. But, to the point, what do you recommend for a SS 3B? Can you set me up one? Reply: [email protected]
Thanks
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it's great to see you back, Rob.

FWIW, I have been using a LTE with an E2 shank on small bore trombones; which I bet might work for your 3B. I use a 102 rim, but you may want a LT99 if the M21 is a good size for you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

RobDorsey wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:22 pm
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:19 pm From old measurements I have made of .508 bore leadpipes (only one sample of each):
King 3B .423
Bach 16M .412

H8 Burt Herrick style (from Kanstul's list): .422

Bach 16 dual bore (2 samples): .412, .424

The King is actually on the big side. But there's a lot more to a design than just the venturi size.
Hi Doug, I bought a mouthpiece set from you a few years back with a large shank. Good piece. But, on my 3B Silver Sonic (2000 vintage) I'm using an early M21. I have a small mouth and therefore a smaller embouchure and the M21 seems right. Played a small shank Reynolds for years and it was comfy but the wide soft rim on the M21 seems to work. But, to the point, what do you recommend for a SS 3B? Can you set me up one? Reply: [email protected]
Thanks
Rob, I've used the C+/D3 combo for years on my 3BSS and it's wonderful. The B cup also works great.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use a C+.D2 combo now. D3 was making it woofy.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

DE C+ cup and a D3 shank is a solid combo on .508 (Aidan plays too much bass), I couldn't get the D2 to work.

Not a dig on Burgerbob, but the system is just that, his system works differently than some of us regular smaller-bore players.

To respond an earlier comment, it is entirely possibly for a 3b to suck.
I've had a few but only one good one that I sold off to a student.
My best combo to date in that size is a Shires MD+ with a Brassark 32h leadpipe with the above DE parts (and 5G size-ish rims).

ymmv
Andre1966tr

Post by Andre1966tr »

I ve got the feeling that many of you are compensating embochuree problems with equipment and measure-mania.
Sorry...a good teacher might help..
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Andre1966tr wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:14 am I ve got the feeling that many of you are compensating embochuree problems with equipment and measure-mania.
Sorry...a good teacher might help..
That's cool if you like Bach 12Cs. No need to berate people.
Andre1966tr

Post by Andre1966tr »

berate? Did I hit a nerve? Sorry...
RobDorsey

Post by RobDorsey »

Hey Y'all,
I have been away from trombone for several years playing tenor sax (seemed like a good idea at the time) but a hand condition rendered me unable to continue. So, back to bone. BUT, I'm having a bit of a mouthpiece panic. Since I studied with Neil Humfeld, I played an 88H and Remington mouthpiece. The master required it of all his students. I continued the Remington with a small shank on my 3B but now it feels like I am opening a window and playing the world. I have gone through my collection trying 6 1/2 A and AL, Schilke 47D, 46, Bach 7, 7C, 9, and 12C. I have a couple of pristine King M21s and an M31 and I like the rim and hell, J.J. played one on his 3B. But I also have a like new Reynolds Pro Sterling Delux and it has as good a slide as the 3B and is light and mellow, and on it . . . . wait for it . . . I have settled on that horn and a King 11M. It's an ugly little piece but my high C is easier and more clear and the rest of the register is easy and full.
Opinions???
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Rob -- You still on the fence about which uncle to emulate (Jimmy vs. Tommy)? ;)

If I remember correctly from The Trombone Forum you were drowning in mouthpieces. I'm glad you figured out which of them works for you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
RobDorsey

Post by RobDorsey »

Hi Bruce,
Not so fast. I've still been in a panic. Last year I had some severe dental issues that resulted in my upper teeth being removed and five implants being put in. These support a solid prosthetic set of teeth that work and look great. However, they are a substantially different shape than my original teeth and produce a bit of an over-bite, something I did not have before. This has completely changed my embouchure and made such pieces as the Reynolds or even 6 1/2 A too large. I have centered in on the 11M, Conn 3A and Bach 12 (not C ) pieces. These are much smaller than the other pieces in my collection but seem to work for me, even in my wonderful Conn 8H.
This year I will have been playing trombone for 62 years. Time to get it right, eh?
Rob Dorsey
Pre-Bebop and Dixieland Jazz player. You Know, Old guy stuff.

Return to “Instruments”