Bach 12: Help me out!

Fruitysloth

Bach 12: Help me out!

Post by Fruitysloth »

Howdy all,

I've been offered a Bach 12 for a trade, 70's elkhart, and I haven't had much experience on Bach. I know they do well when mic'd, and I'd love to hear y'all's opinion. I usually play on a Conn 48H with an 11Cish mouthpiece. Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 12: Help me out!

Post by Burgerbob »

Could be awful, could be great. Bach small horns are all over the map. That era and that model should be better than average... but then again, they're trading it away. It will be totally different than a 48H, that's for sure.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

If you can try it that'd be better. 12s are hard to find for cheap so if you're coming out ahead or not taking a loss on the trade then there may be no harm in getting. It'll play different than a Conn or King so don't get freaked out.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The 12 will play bigger than you think, and it will be darker than you think. Depending of course on the condition.
Slidehamilton

Post by Slidehamilton »

My experience with Bach 12's is that change of lead pipe makes a HUGE difference. I have played 12's and 16's for years. I am finding that Shires lead pipes work quite well. The old Kanstul pipes were very good too. There are other worth trying as well. So you get that "Bach" sound, but change the blow. Of course it can brighten it up some, or darken it some, but will still sound like a Bach 12. It has worked very well for me over the years.
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

What styles of music are you generally performing? A 48H will most often be preferred to a Bach 12 if you’re playing with amplified bands or horn section work where you are the only trombonist. Most Bach small bores can’t cut above the sound of banging cymbals without close mic’ing, but there’s always exceptions. If you can trial first and it really has presence you could be okay.

If you’re doing more small group, traditional big band, or recording work a Bach 12 might give you more flexibility in sound than the Connstellation, especially if you tinker with leadpipe and mouthpiece.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Good for you. If you can get a 12 for that price , GRAB IT !. I have 2 12`s right now and both play exceptional.
Both are very different from each other.
first off let me state one thing. In all the years I have played Bach`s in Big Bands I`ve NEVER had a problem with them projecting or 'Needing to be Miked.
They are great horns My first 12 has a Gold Brass Bell w/ a Light weight slide. It played a little stuffy when I bought it. Had the Leadpipe pulled and put in a Kanstul W6, Bingo. Changed it completely. That was my go to horn for years.
Then I found a bargain on a 1966 12 (Yellow Bell, standard weight slide, original leadpipe) This thing soars in the upper range and works great on lead as well as soloing.
I have a great Lt16MG but I find that I prefer the 12`s
I hope you`ll like it

Return to “Instruments”