My trombone is vibrating, when I am playing

qweasdzxc701

My trombone is vibrating, when I am playing

Post by qweasdzxc701 »

When I play some high notes on my trombone, the place near my Axial Valve begin to vibrate and create quite loud buzzing sound. I can't see, where this sound is located, because at this time I am playing. It appear, when I'm playing D4,E4,F4 (very often) and rarely when I play some higher and lower notes. Ho can I cope with this problem?
Vegasbound

Re: My trombone is vibrating, when I am playing

Post by Vegasbound »

Get a tech to check out joints etc
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Does it happen with alternate positions for those notes?

For notes in first position, does it happen with the slide lock on (if you have one on this horn)? Check the obvious like a loose slide lock, loose screw on the valve.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Related to your previous question about oils etc - make sure everything is properly lubricated. Tuning slides, lever pivot points, everything! Do this first. As it's axial - check that all of the brace mounting points (thumb screws) around the bell section are tightened. Does the slide lock nut sometimes work loose?

It could be a broken solder joint somewhere, or a blob of loose solder left inside a brace tube, and you'd need a tech to sort those. Then there are weird bell resonances, but they tend to be on very specific pitches rather than across a range. But on an axial valve section there are lots of places for simple mechanical vibration.

As the buzz happens on high (non-trigger) notes, you can hold the instrument up with your right hand, and use the left to feel around the bell section while you play the buzzing notes. Or get someone else to do this while you play.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Things can resonate even if they're all tight and clean. The feeling around idea is a good one, likely to work, and after you know what it is, adding some weight to it may cure it. A wrap of thick solder could do it, or a blob of silicone like drummers use. Makers try to put the resonances between half-steps, but don't always succeed.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

If there are any retaining screws (there's one on my section) and it's not right, that can vibrate
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:46 am Related to your previous question about oils etc - make sure everything is properly lubricated. Tuning slides, lever pivot points, everything! Do this first. As it's axial - check that all of the brace mounting points (thumb screws) around the bell section are tightened. Does the slide lock nut sometimes work loose?

It could be a broken solder joint somewhere, or a blob of loose solder left inside a brace tube, and you'd need a tech to sort those. Then there are weird bell resonances, but they tend to be on very specific pitches rather than across a range. But on an axial valve section there are lots of places for simple mechanical vibration.

As the buzz happens on high (non-trigger) notes, you can hold the instrument up with your right hand, and use the left to feel around the bell section while you play the buzzing notes. Or get someone else to do this while you play.
This is what I'm thinking the problem is too; either a loose solder joint or a blob of solder inside of a brace. I had an 80's Bach 42B years ago that developed a similar annoying problem on D and E above the staff. It took a good repair shop to sort it out.
qweasdzxc701

Post by qweasdzxc701 »

Thanks to everyone, who give me useful advices. I give my trombone to tech support, and they tell me, that the trombone have a broken joint, that is not tight, and sometimes get out of the right place. But now everything is OK. Thanks

Return to “Instruments”