The joys of buying a new B flat and F large bore trombone at Phil Parkers London

MikeNorb

The joys of buying a new B flat and F large bore trombone at Phil Parkers London

Post by MikeNorb »

Trombones seemed to have changed a lot since I last bought one (about 20 years ago!) and I had a fun morning trying out Phil Parker's large stock in London. My Conn 88H needed a replacement (dodgy slide) hence my trip). Choosing a trombone (or any instrument) is tough and pretty subjective - so what follows are only my personal observations mostly based on the sound they made.
It struck me that the trombone make landscape has changed quite a lot and that the more modern instruments (Shires, Greenhoe and Rath) seem to be much better (more solid) built than say the new Conns. Prices also seem to have gone up. Below are my reflections on some of the trombones I tried in order of personal preference (focusing on the sound) after a lot of agonising:

1. Greenhoe GB4-1G. Solid instrument with rich tone in all registers - light and good slide. (the version with the in slide tuner seemed to have quite a heavy slide and I couldn't hear any tonal difference) - excellent F side.
2. Shires Alessi Custom - Rich and warm sound - very well made - similar in quality to the Greenhoe.
3. Rath R4 - felt a little lighter than the above two but also had an attractive tone and excellent slide. I was keen on this instrument (excellent value for money) but for me the valve lever seemed to be too close to the left hand. It seemed too far forward. Parkers said it could be fixed in the workshop. This also has the option of being turned into a straight with a goose neck - another plus.
4. Yamaha 8820 - This was good value but somehow not as tonally attractive as the others - especially in the louder dynamics - well-made though.
5. Conn88HT-0 - I tried a couple of Conns and they both seemed a bit flimsy and lacking in tonal depth - certainly inferior to my aging Elkhart
6. Yamaha 448G - I tried this as I have a couple of pupils who are reaching the stage were they need a better instrument. I thought this was well-made with a good sound. Excellent value for an intermediate instrument.
If you are trying out instruments to buy - my advice would be to give yourself plenty of time - ignore the brands and any hype, and just listen to the sound. I suggest playing the same music with all the instruments. I used Mahler 3, Mozart Requiem and Bolero. Parkers were really helpful and at one point I had 9 instruments on stands and kept trying them against each other. It was a most enjoyable and educational morning.
I did play the new Greenhoe to one of my trombone pupils - she helpfully said that it sounded just like my Yamaha straight...
deanmccarty

Re: The joys of buying a new B flat and F large bore trombone at Phil Parkers London

Post by deanmccarty »

The lever on my Rath R4 is adjustable... but even if it is not, that is something easily moved if you like the sound. I have been extremely pleased with my Rath.
Dean McCarty
“Have a good time... all the time.” - Viv Savage, Spinal Tap :cool:

Rath R9D-Ferguson-L
Jürgen Voigt 189-FX, Elliott 100G8
Rath R10-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-711 Alto-Elliott 95B
Jürgen Voigt J-470 Contra-Ferguson 2A
imsevimse

Re: The joys of buying a new B flat and F large bore trombone at Phil Parkers London

Post by imsevimse »

I've been to England five times. I visited Phil Parker when I was in England somewhere before 2014. It is a well regarded shop. When I was there I spoke to an old man who worked there, maybe he was the owner or related to the owner? He was very helpful and nice to talk to. I tried a Conn Soprano trombone that was near the desk, that was it, but I knew I could not buy a trombone that day anyhow. I guess they had all horns downstairs. I never took the stairs. I just spoke to that old man. I had about an hour before I needed to go back to the airport and go home. Before, I had visited all the shops in London who sold brass instruments and I did buy some music. I remember all shops were at the same street. It was a nice visit. I hope to visit again.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I have gone to Parkers the last few times I was in London. They were happy enough to let me try out horns from their generous stock. I once bought a used Yamaha alto from them, which they shipped to me here in Canada. A first class act.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Just a suggestion: If you really like your old 88H consider getting a new Conn slide for it. You can even get a good copy of the Remington leadpipe so you can still use the Conn shank mouthpieces. Will cost a bit less than a whole instrument.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MikeNorb

Post by MikeNorb »

The end of the R4 trigger did move (where you put your thumb) but I think it was the angle as that didn't seem to help. Parker's workshop did say it could be altered. I think my hand position is pretty standard (and hand) so I am not quite sure why there was an issue,
Regarding the old 88H - yes I had thought about a new slide but then the plug is quite stuffy. Very happy with the Greenhoe.

Return to “Instruments”