Need some help/advice - Reynolds TO-01

richevans

Need some help/advice - Reynolds TO-01

Post by richevans »

Hi everyone - I've got a vintage (1961) Reynolds Contempra with the 10" tangerine bell that I've owned for more than 45 years now but since I no longer play, I find that I need to sell it. I have had a conversation with a well-known music shop and they are interested and have asked me how much I'm looking to get for it. Problem is, I really have no idea what the value of this horn is today. It's in what I would consider 'good' condition, everything works well, no dents, no corrosion - just normal wear one would expect on a 70 year old horn (see image attached). If any of you out there might be able to give a ball-park value I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Reynolds bass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jthomas105

Re: Need some help/advice - Reynolds TO-01

Post by jthomas105 »

"I've got a vintage (1961) Reynolds Contempra" & "just normal wear one would expect on a 70 year old horn"

Please don't make me older than I am. I was born in 1959 and am only 61. :D
richevans

Post by richevans »

LOL!! Think "vintage" as in 'fine wine'! I was born in 1950, so that would make me ancient I guess!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

This 60-year-old Contempora looks beautiful; I'd guess that you gave it a lot of love and careful maintenance during the 45 years it was yours. I still miss my medium-bore Contempora 35.

Your TO-01 may have its quirks, but it would be highly prized by those who know the brand and quality. I have no first-hand knowledge of its market value, but I would think at least somewhere north of $1,500.

For those unfamiliar with the Reynolds Contempora models:
http://contemporacorner.com/trombones/contempora-bass/
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Very nice looking horn!

I would have guessed a shop price to be around $1250 to $1800. Some buyers may strongly prefer a D slide for the 2nd valve and would want to price having one made into their budget. Others, who only intend to use the 2nd valve for a few low Cs and a very occasional low B natural might not be bothered and put a higher value on overall condition (which seems to be great) rather than the 2nd valve tuning.
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

You might post it here before giving it to the dealer. I suspect there will be some interest among the cognoscenti.
richevans

Post by richevans »

Truth be told, I would rather sell to a private buyer than a dealer - I just took a chance with this list as I’ve been on some others (tuba.net) where folks are a lot more appreciative of equipment. Since I’m really a tuba player, what kind of specific information would I need to include if I were to post it here?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

richevans wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:53 am ... what kind of specific information would I need to include if I were to post it here?
• Nice photos (you've got them; just add photos of interior slide showing defects, if any).
• General specifications for those unfamiliar with the TO-01. ContemporaCorner info should cover this.
• The history of the trombone as you know it.
• Your commentary on its condition and why you loved it for 45 years.
• Any tech work (if any) you think it might benefit from.
• The price you expect to receive.

You may be surprised at the interest from TromboneChat members! This trombone needs another loving home.

Good luck! :good:

Return to “Instruments”