Can we talk about BAC-as-of-2020/2021?

TromboneSam

Can we talk about BAC-as-of-2020/2021?

Post by TromboneSam »

I just had a visit at the factory to try out some custom slides and bell flares for a bell section they made for me back in late 2020. I dealt with Kevin, their main sales rep, and Bonnie, their main horn builder, and have nothing but good things to say.

They have cranked out some seriously killer horns and some others that are interesting and if nothing else still hold their own as “giggable” horns that serve as great tools for future innovations in trombone tech.

The following is my first direct, in-person experience with a trombone maker, and while it’s probably similar for many shops, I’m going to mostly point out things that caught my attention.

When I first got there I was given a tour of the factory, which has always been a dream of mine (to see a trombone factory in real life). I met the staff who, like any great craftsmen, were very discerning in their work, and spoke about it as such. Not that I know much of anything about horn building, but it was cool to see that they had notes and charts about past horn specs and were essentially using the scientific method to hone their craft.

I also learned that the late, great John Duda, who had made bells for Williams and Calicchio, taught their current bell maker how to spin bells for the last 4-5 years. The majority of the horns that came out of that shop in the last 5 years were spun by John on the original Williams mandrels, which should speak for itself.

While the staff were very meticulous, they’re also very open with the fact that every horn will always play at least slightly different from the next, even if the specs are identical. I also appreciate that they are willing to try new things and while they can hypothesize, they might not now how a combination will work in practice.

We tried so many combinations and Bonnie took notes the whole time based on what the horn was doing and what my preferences were. They had enough parts laying around the shop that the combinations felt endless, and if I really liked something specific, or if Bonnie or Kevin heard something special, we would keep that exact part for my build.

There were some combinations that sounded fine, others good, and a couple that were seriously amazing. I finally was able to make a horn’s sound match the sound concept in my head, all thanks to the BAC team. Building a boutique horn is expensive as hell but I can’t describe the feeling and result of finding a horn that just works.

I know some have mentioned that BAC is super flashy and that’s it; that they’re “all bark and no bite.” Maybe that was the case at one point, and sure I’m fangirling a little bit, but I’m super excited to see what BAC does in the future. They have a lot of awesome, consistent products with a well experienced and innovative team behind them. Believe it or not there’s stuff I’m leaving out too, but I’m happy to ramble on about more sciency/specs shit if you guys want.

*end happy rant*
Johnstad

Re: Can we talk about BAC-as-of-2020/2021?

Post by Johnstad »

They rebuilt both of my Kanstul Contra slides last year.

Fantastic work.
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

thanks for all the info, and happy you had such a good eperience!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

They absolutely ruined a friend's slide that was sent to be rebuilt prior to '20-'21.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I would like to see this company become a serious trombone creator. They have all that Kanstul tooling. I'll bet they're using specific Kanstul tools for parts of their own horn designs, not bringing back Kanstul models wholesale.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Meh.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

Thrawn22 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 amMeh.
Go on…
RJMason

Post by RJMason »

The team currently making instruments are great and have come a really long way building horns and doing custom modifications. It seems that the QC has gone way up in recent times. Im glad they not only worked alongside, but learned from the late great John Duda and can apply that priceless knowledge to keep it going. It appears as though the founder is focusing on the business side of things and letting the team work on the custom instruments. In my opinion (as a former BAC artist) that is the right move.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

So, OP, out of curiosity are you a BAC artist, or assuming to be one?

I only ask, because of all the BAC horns I've tried, the one that wowed me was the Mason prototype that one of his students had bought from him.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 pm So, OP, out of curiosity are you a BAC artist, or assuming to be one?

I only ask, because of all the BAC horns I've tried, the one that wowed me was the Mason prototype that one of his students had bought from him.
I am not but I hope to have that conversation with them once I get the rest of my horn. I have a really good gut feeling about everything I decided on in the shop/the parts I picked out. Unless something goes terribly wrong with my build I would have no problem endorsing them, especially the custom line.

I didn’t realize he didn’t have his prototype anymore. That’s cool though! I guess he probably doesn’t need it since I think he currently has 4 different variants of his production horn. It doesn’t surprise me that I fell in love with the EM slide for my bell section. With feedback and ears like Elliot’s I’m sure they’ve been able to dial in a consistent, balanced horn that most people would probably love playing.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

hyperbolica wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am I would like to see this company become a serious trombone creator. They have all that Kanstul tooling. I'll bet they're using specific Kanstul tools for parts of their own horn designs, not bringing back Kanstul models wholesale.
I do know that with all the tooling they have they are able to fully create spec-replicas of Williams horns. Like I know the company has made a copy of a Williams 6 (which developed into, or was copied to become, the Kanstul 1606) and was praised by a Williams aficionado for it. But yes it seems that you would just have to tell them you wanted a Williams 6 and they would just build you a custom horn based on your preferences. Their non-custom production options seem kind of focused toward creating a new name for themselves. I think they could probably do very well re-introducing some kind of homage lines to the Williams/Kanstul brands.
Ftroop

Post by Ftroop »

My Paseo is an amazing horn… albeit I bought it NYE 2019/20! I asked the guys about some of the specs and it seems to have gained alot of influences from Willliams. If it means they've used the Williams tooling then it's cool by me.

If I could travel to the US (locked down in Australia at the minute!) and to the factory I'd totally consider getting a large bore built to match the Paseo.
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

TromboneSam wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:59 pm
hyperbolica wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 am I would like to see this company become a serious trombone creator. They have all that Kanstul tooling. I'll bet they're using specific Kanstul tools for parts of their own horn designs, not bringing back Kanstul models wholesale.
I do know that with all the tooling they have they are able to fully create spec-replicas of Williams horns. Like I know the company has made a copy of a Williams 6 (which developed into, or was copied to become, the Kanstul 1606) and was praised by a Williams aficionado for it. But yes it seems that you would just have to tell them you wanted a Williams 6 and they would just build you a custom horn based on your preferences. Their non-custom production options seem kind of focused toward creating a new name for themselves. I think they could probably do very well re-introducing some kind of homage lines to the Williams/Kanstul brands.
I own the prototype Kanstul 1606. It is Williams inspired but not a copy. The bell is not as set back as a Williams and it does not have as long a slide as a Williams. The Williams have more length in their slide than any other small tenor that I am aware of.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

TheSheriff wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 pm
I own the prototype Kanstul 1606. It is Williams inspired but not a copy. The bell is not as set back as a Williams and it does not have as long a slide as a Williams. The Williams have more length in their slide than any other small tenor that I am aware of.
This prototype is a fantastic trombone. I remember it well
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I remember it too, played really nice.. I think they had it at the ITF in Ithaca, am I remembering that right?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Yes, the 1606 prototype is a great playing horn. Doug, you played it at my place and I remember you saying it played better than your Williams. The only trombone that I have played that plays better is my 1935 Williams model L, tuning in the bell, friction fit slide. It makes the most glorious sound I have ever heard.
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H

Return to “Instruments”