German beer band instruments

hyperbolica

German beer band instruments

Post by hyperbolica »

What horns are these guys playing? It looks like soprano, alto and tenor something. In a different part of the world they might be fiscorns. Bass trumpets? Flugels? In one of the videos one of the guys has a very pricy Schagerl Wunderhorn.

The Mnozil guys seem to have come out of this tradition. A lot of the videos show them sitting around a pub table playing over full tankards.

Burgerbob

Re: German beer band instruments

Post by Burgerbob »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm

The Mnozil guys seem to have come out of this tradition. A lot of the videos show them sitting around a pub table playing over full tankards.
In case someone hasn't seen that one...

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

I've never seen a harp in a German band. Thanks for that education. Looks like the three similar horns are a couple of rotary trumpets and something rotary else--looks like he has a trombonish looking mouthpiece. Can't be a German band without a tuba.

Perhaps they are thinking we sound better the more we drink?
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Looks like two "sidewinder" trumpets and a bass version ("sidewinder baritone"?). With a button accordion, harp, and a tuba.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

walldaja wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:45 pm I've never seen a harp in a German band. Thanks for that education. Looks like the three similar horns are a couple of rotary trumpets and something rotary else--looks like he has a trombonish looking mouthpiece. Can't be a German band without a tuba.

Perhaps they are thinking we sound better the more we drink?
Those aren't trumpets, and the two smaller ones aren't the same. The sound is much darker, the bell is bigger than a real trumpet. It looks like a rotary flugel and an F or Eb alto rotary flugel? and then a bass rotary flugel? Spanish and South American bands have something similar called fiscorn, sounds like a baritone.

And then whatever this is (turn down the volume and sneak up on it, this may be startling):

And here's a cool fiscorn solo... but those big kazoos... Sounds like her majesty's cornetts and shawms.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The tenor one is just a beer hall bass trumpet.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm Spanish and South American bands have something similar called fiscorn, sounds like a baritone.

And here's a cool fiscorn solo... but those big kazoos... Sounds like her majesty's cornetts and shawms.
The "kazoos" seem to be sort of shawm-like double-reed instruments. :idk:

I'd like to know more about them. [But I can't say that I'm enamored with the sound they produce!]
Anyone have useful information (instrument names, origin, history, current usage, ...)?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

"Sidewinder" rotary valve instruments are popular in Eastern Europe. If you look carefully at Austrian orchestras you will see "horizontal" trumpets.

Given that rotary valves are about 2 decades older than Perinet (piston) valves, this is not unexpected.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:32 pm
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm
In case someone hasn't seen that one...

Actually I was referring to the group in the other video, not Mnozil, but they appear to be in the same pub

Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:32 pm

Actually I was referring to the group in the other video, not Mnozil, but they appear to be in the same pub

Yup, that's the one I'm referring to.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/294479805521?ha ... Sw1BdhcB23
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

They are indeed modern shawms, from Catalonia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_shawm
http://www.coblabaixllobregat.com/Tible.htm
http://www.coblabaixllobregat.com/Tenora.htm

I still haven't identified the little piccolo "fife" played with the left hand while the player occasionally strikes, with a stick in his right hand, what looks like a small drum on a neck strap.

Would love to know more about this apparently traditional Catalan music:
Last edited by Posaunus on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:17 pm They are indeed modern shawms, from Catalonia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_shawm
http://www.coblabaixllobregat.com/Tible.htm
http://www.coblabaixllobregat.com/Tenora.htm

I still haven't identified the little piccolo "fife" played with the left hand while the player occasionally strikes, with a stick in his right hand, what looks like a small elbow-mounted drum. Would love to know more about this apparently traditional Catalan music:
Geez, that is shrill.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Leonhard Paul is playing his Wunderhorn. That eBay itm is just 3 valves, these guys are all playing 4 valves.

Here's another odd one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Kuhl ... 634-2357-0
Screenshot_20211025-213914.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I have owned a "Tenor Horn" made by Mirafone for well over 50 years that I bought as a student at The Eastman School of Music from a classmate, Roger Bobo, the famous tubist, who was the first importer of Mirafone instruments into the US. [Roger had a Mirafone tuba and contrabass trombone]. It looks to be identical to the instrument that is often seen played by the "Lonely Boy" of the Mnozil Brass. It has side action rotary valves and is pitched in B Flat. Throughout its life it has seen use as a tenor horn in a Salvation Army style band, as a bass trumpet on NSO recordings of Wagner, as a Jazz horn on combo dates and as my horn used in a basic training band in the U.S. Army !
THAT is what I call versatile !
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:40 pm
Leonhard Paul is playing his Wunderhorn. That eBay itm is just 3 valves, these guys are all playing 4 valves.

Here's another odd one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Kuhl ... 634-2357-0

Screenshot_20211025-213914.png
That's a rotary valve Flugelhorn (or perhaps a Post Horn). I'm not sure what exactly what separates the two - probably just regional differences as to what to call them. Some German/Austrian manufacturers make Flugelhorns like this that are sometimes referred to as "oval" (the shape).

Jim Scott
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

hyperbolica wrote:What horns are these guys playing? It looks like soprano, alto and tenor something. In a different part of the world they might be fiscorns. Bass trumpets? Flugels? In one of the videos one of the guys has a very pricy Schagerl Wunderhorn.
From left to right: rotary flugelhorn, Eb bass trumpet, bass flugelhorn. Pretty common in those groups for a bass trumpet to be the middle voice. Rotary bass trumpets are not all the narrow bore orchestral instruments we usually think of.
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:40 pmHere's another odd one:
Most accurately, that is a Kuhlohorn, which is a short-form flugelhorn. In the traditional German Posaunenchor, you'd have trombones up through alto playing most of the parts, and then specifically Kuhlohorns playing the highest parts. They sound slightly different than typically-wrapped flugelhorns.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Finetales wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:30 pm
hyperbolica wrote:What horns are these guys playing? It looks like soprano, alto and tenor something. In a different part of the world they might be fiscorns. Bass trumpets? Flugels? In one of the videos one of the guys has a very pricy Schagerl Wunderhorn.
From left to right: rotary flugelhorn, Eb bass trumpet, bass flugelhorn. Pretty common in those groups for a bass trumpet to be the middle voice. Rotary bass trumpets are not all the narrow bore orchestral instruments we usually think of.
I think you’re spot on here
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The Catalonian instruments are a different subject entirely except they do use a C bass flugelhorn and a C valve trombone. I heard one of those bands when I was there for the ITF in Valencia. That's the traditional instrumentation, and the tiny fife and drum on the arm is how every tune starts. They play for a traditional Catalonian dance and it's really pretty cool.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Finetales wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:30 pm
Ah, yes, I should have expected you to have the answer to a valved mystery. Very interesting. Kind of a cool blend they get, less grating than typical trumpets.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Here's one with one of those german valve trombones. You can see a little cimbasso and a little of where that odd grip on the Schagerl James Morison SuperBone (https://schagerl.com/meisterinstrumente ... superbone/) must have come from.

timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

2bobone wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:15 pm I have owned a "Tenor Horn" made by Mirafone for well over 50 years
Some time back I played in a European Wind Ensemble that carried 3 trombones, 4 trumpets, 4 fluegelhorns, 2 tenor horns and 2 euphoniums. And, of course, the rest of the band instruments except saxophone; the director hated sax. Clarinet and Eb clarinet, etc.

I've been playing with them again lately but the numbers are no longer there. We can have trumpet or fluegel but not both! The real fluegel sound adds a lot.

The tenor horns, not so much, with the music we played. My impression was that much of the music we played did not pay a lot of attention to timbre and often doubled the accompaniment parts across trombone, euph, tenor, and horn.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A lot of the Oktoberfest music I had was set up for a Hungry Five or Happy Five band of 2 clarinets, 1 or 2 cornets, Trombone or Euphonium, Tuba, and optional percussion. So this beerhall band has the requisite instruments (sorta) with high Flugel, medium Flugel, bass Flugel, and Tuba. Supplemented with two C melody instruments (harp and accordion [Bandoneon]).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I'm kind of fascinated by this topic. Maybe obsessed is the word. Jurgen Voigt seems to be one source. Stomvi another. Voigt makes the Kuhlo-flugels and Bass Flugels/Fiscornos. Maybe this is too general, but the German ones seem to be in Bb, and the Chinese Fiscorns tend to be in C, like some of the Spanish valve trombones. American equivalent seems to be roughly marching baritone with piston valves.

https://shop.voigt-brass.de/en/MASTER-I ... UGELHORNS/
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The main band that I've been following is WudaraMusi, Flugel, bass trumpet, harp, accordion and tuba.

Their personnel page confirms the flugel and bass trumpet diagnosis.

https://www.wuedaramusi.at/w%C3%BCdara/
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 pm "Sidewinder" rotary valve instruments are popular in Eastern Europe. If you look carefully at Austrian orchestras you will see "horizontal" trumpets.
Bruce, do you have picture of a “sidewinder” instrument? I’m having trouble finding such a beast, and I can’t picture it in my head. The only thing I can think of is Schagerl’s Ganschhorn and their similar horns, which are really TARVs (top-action rotary valves).
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 am
BGuttman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 pm "Sidewinder" rotary valve instruments are popular in Eastern Europe. If you look carefully at Austrian orchestras you will see "horizontal" trumpets.
Bruce, do you have picture of a “sidewinder” instrument? I’m having trouble finding such a beast, and I can’t picture it in my head. The only thing I can think of is Schagerl’s Ganschhorn and their similar horns, which are really TARVs (top-action rotary valves).
No, he's just talking about rotary instruments that are turned 90 degrees from piston trumpets, cornets and flugels.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:07 amAmerican equivalent seems to be roughly marching baritone with piston valves.
Yep, spot on. Though interestingly enough, some marching baritones (e.g. the Blessing/Olds/Reynolds big brother to their flugabone we all know and love) trend more towards a bass cornet sound and feel. In the absence of an insanely rare actual bass cornet, they're the next best thing.
hyperbolica wrote:Jurgen Voigt seems to be one source. Stomvi another. Voigt makes the Kuhlo-flugels and Bass Flugels/Fiscornos. Maybe this is too general, but the German ones seem to be in Bb, and the Chinese Fiscorns tend to be in C, like some of the Spanish valve trombones.
Some more brands for your enjoyment:

- Worischek. These double shepherd's crook bass flugels are definitely the coolest looking in my opinion. They used to also have one in C on their website instead of the 4-valve B flat one...must have discontinued that one.
- Weber. Their bass flugel is kind of like the Schagerl Wunderhorn V or the Gansch horn in that it's rotary valved, but top action (aka "TARV"). Looks a lot like a marching baritone from the left side!
- Beck. No bass flugels, but they do make a couple of Kuhlohorns.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

This photo of my Mirafone "Tenor Horn" will either provide clarity or cause confusion. Let's see ! Incidentally, the mouthpiece is an early small shank "Remington" prototype. https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=11008
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

2bobone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm This photo of my Mirafone "Tenor Horn" will either provide clarity or cause confusion. Let's see ! Incidentally, the mouthpiece is an early small shank "Remington" prototype. https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=11008
Is this in Eb?
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

2bobone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm This photo of my Mirafone "Tenor Horn" will either provide clarity or cause confusion. Let's see ! Incidentally, the mouthpiece is an early small shank "Remington" prototype. https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... w&id=11008
In my brain a tenor horn was always a curved or oval looking version. I was surprised to see yours with a straight bell.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

The horn pictured was listed in the Mirafone catalogue of the time as a "Tenor Horn in B Flat". I always considered it to be more like a bass flugelhorn. Whenever I'd take it on a dance gig, the leader would ask me to put the trombone away and only play the Mirafone ! It was probably a snide comment on my slide capabilities at the time more than a desire to hear the tenor horn sound.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

2bobone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 pm The horn pictured was listed in the Mirafone catalogue of the time as a "Tenor Horn in B Flat". I always considered it to be more like a bass flugelhorn. Whenever I'd take it on a dance gig, the leader would ask me to put the trombone away and only play the Mirafone ! It was probably a snide comment on my slide capabilities at the time more than a desire to hear the tenor horn sound.
It has a bell taper more like a marching trombone. The things the germans above were using had a much bigger bell throat, and overall conical design. I've never seen a tenor horn like that. Mostly they are more in the baritone form factor.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

As I once said, the "Lonely Boy" of the Mnozil Brass [Leonhard Paul] is seen on several videos playing what looks like this very same model of Mirafone. Beside the bell garland is engraved "Made in Germany" and directly below the well-known Mirafone logo is the number 1245. A model number or a serial number ---- I have no idea. It still plays great regardless !

Return to “Instruments”