Besson Sovereign Bass

Drombone

Besson Sovereign Bass

Post by Drombone »

A question for Besson cognoscenti: I play in a concert band with a very good, ex British Army Bass trombonist, who has a Besson Sovereign, double trigger bass.

But the 2nd valve is operated by the index finger, pressing down, as opposed to the middle finger pulling up. It also has a built in bullet brace style thumb support. This is how it came out of the factory, it's not after-market, or a prototype as far as he knows.

I'm going to question him more on his horn, which I understand him to have had since the 80's at least.

A quick search didn't find the model number.

Is this a rare beast?
hornbuilder

Re: Besson Sovereign Bass

Post by hornbuilder »

I owned the single valve version of that horn, in a previous life. Fun horns. I've only ever seen one double valve example. But keep in mind I grew up in Australia. I don't doubt there were more of them in England, where they were made. I also own a .500 tenor that was offered in the same line. Great little horn, quite King 3B-ish.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Doing a Google search brings up images of the Boosey and Hawkers Sovereign 940 bass trombone
Matthew Walker
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Walker
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I've played a few of the older Boosey Soverign versions. Not bad, but not brilliant either.
I've also played a few of the old Imperial 555 bass bones and quite liked them. Single trigger, 9" bell, 0.555 bore.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I think I got arthritis just from looking at that picture.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

I have a double valve B&H Sovereign bass, looks exactly the same as pictured by Matthew including the red plastic end on the thumb rest.

Mine is silver plated and came with the older blue case which was probably the B&H case rather than the Besson version.

They are not light to hold.

Good solid warm sound.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

I have one, easy to play but not light
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I‘ve seen a few of the Besson Sovereign bass trombones with independent Hagmann valves, the BE943 I think. I borrowed one off a section mate a few times and don‘t think that horn had the weird trigger position like the one in this thread.

I haven‘t seen any of the standard rotors versions with the strange trigger in the wild. Probably because a lot of bands I played in bought brand new sets of instruments (thanks National Lottery!!!) in the mid to late 90s and most I knew went for Bach, Yamaha or Courtois bass trombones, if Besson, for the Hagmann version.

How easy would it be for a tech to modify the 2nd trigger to a more conventional setup?
blast

Post by blast »

I had one of the first ones. Went to the factory and chose it with DW who was my teacher. It was a truly dreadful instrument that nearly ended my career before it had started !
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

blast wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:33 amI had one of the first ones. Went to the factory and chose it with DW who was my teacher. It was a truly dreadful instrument that nearly ended my career before it had started !
Dreadful ergonomics? Dreadful playing? Or just plain dreadful?

and did you realize just how dreadful it was when you bought it?
brassmedic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:04 pmI think I got arthritis just from looking at that picture.
Obviously, it's proof that extraterrestrials are living among us (and that one of the was working for Besson at some point). There is no way that was designed to be operated by a human hand.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

There's just so much "yikes" looking at that trigger arrangement...

For reference, here's my 943GS setup, an instrument made in the 90s and may have succeeded this model in question:
20140329_220258.jpg
20140329_220223.jpg
Totally normal bass trombone trigger setup. The 2nd valve is much faster than the F valve, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

The later/Last version that MrHCinDE mentions was a completely different kettle of fish. It had Hagman valves and looked exactly like the more recent Courtois horns, I have oftened wondered if they shared the same heritage as they both had their origins in the same assembly plant in Germany, rather than London. In my own mind (which is a magical place) Its the only really decent Bass trombone Besson ever made. Blast is right those earlier ones were truly awful. Pity that after it appeared that they had finally learned how to make a decent horn they promptly ceased manufacturing!... Doug
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

It‘s a shame that Besson didn‘t keep the newer model but it‘s a tough market and you could understand why the didn‘t. It would make sense what is being suggested that the newer Besson one shares some heritage with the Courtois equivalent and has less in common with the old model at the start of this thread.
blast

Post by blast »

That original Sovereign bass should have been wonderful as it was a project of Denis Wick and Ray Premru. B&H wrecked it, as they did most things around that time. The slide crook was undersized as they didn't want to be bothered making a new hydraulic former The valves were cheap and undersized, bought from Germany and the second valve was made of euphonium tube ! Amazing it blew at all !!!
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

blast wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 am That original Sovereign bass should have been wonderful as it was a project of Denis Wick and Ray Premru. B&H wrecked it, as they did most things around that time. The slide crook was undersized as they didn't want to be bothered making a new hydraulic former The valves were cheap and undersized, bought from Germany and the second valve was made of euphonium tube ! Amazing it blew at all !!!
Could be a candidate for a rebuild then..?
😉👍

Return to “Instruments”