Bob Brookmeyer

Elow

Bob Brookmeyer

Post by Elow »

Anyone know what equipment he used?
Last edited by Elow on Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukesboneman

Re: Bob Brookemeyer

Post by dukesboneman »

A Conn Valve trombone with a John Coffey Mouthpiece.
The owner of valvetrombonesareus.com has been making copies of one of Brookmeyers mouthpieces. I bought one and it completely changed the horn. I play a King 2B Valve with a 1953 Nickel Tempo bell and this mouthpiece open the horn right up with a beautiful sound
jorymil

Re: Bob Brookemeyer

Post by jorymil »

Did Bob play a standard 8" bell? Seems like he might have been on a 7.5" based on pictures.
GabrielRice

Re: Bob Brookmeyer

Post by GabrielRice »

I had the opportunity to play with him a couple of times late in his life. I never examined his horn closely, but it had curved braces on the bell section like a Minick or a Conn 100H.
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

I want to say that Larry Minick modded his horn. That's just from reading--I'll see if I can remember where and paste a link.

Someone who might know more would be Jim Becker at Osmun. Back when I was on that side of the country, I got a 5G from eBay. When I brought it in, Jim said: "I worked on Bob's horn, you know...."
dershem

Post by dershem »

I have one of his old (1954) Reynolds horns. Still plays nice, and it's even older than me!
timbone

Post by timbone »

I grew up listening to bobby brookmeyer- my dad had the clark terry gingerbread men and mumbles. He was in his prime then. Great sound and command of the horn. Years later I went to a monday night vanguard session early and there he was listening to new charts and watching him rehearse the band. Wow moment for me.
Massimo69

Post by Massimo69 »

I played few years ago with Bob in Roma and unfortunately Bob fall down the trombone and I call a close friend of mine a great repair man who repaired really fast and well his horn in one day... He had a 7 1/2 conn valve trombone really lighter... I don't remember the mouthpiece looks newer... Anyway was amazing time together and played close and together with him... My heroe forever... The legend... R. I. P.

Return to “Instruments”