Differences Holton 169 verses E185 and TR185

FOSSIL

Re: Differences Holton 169 verses E185 and TR185

Post by FOSSIL »

btone wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:42 pm "Every 185, E185, and 169 are different from each other. Even the older 180s are each different. Holtons were consistently inconsistent."
Exactly right. Tuning slides that don't interchange, some bells are heavy, some super light. Variations in slide tenons/ receivers make slide interchangeability not a sure thing. Some great horns made, though. As to chronological order- I remember from Trombone Forum threads- 169 made early? to mid 60's, a more orchestral horn. 185E was made next, and prrhaps briefly made. These were reportedly much like the 169 in some cases. The TR185 followed by 1966 or 7?- it looked much the same but was ostensibly less orchestral in nature. Some of these had a 9.5 inch bell, some 10". About the same time dependent valve instruments began to be made which evolved into the 180. I have experience with a 9.5" 180, my first bass, and I still own a good condition TR185 that plays very well, and a rescue 169, a victim of mistreatment that sounds and plays great, against all odds. It must have originally been really incredible, because it is still great.
I would echo your comments. I would say that the 169 is the rarest...only made 2 or 3 years...the 185 maybe 9 years. E185 and TR 185 differences ? Mostly the letters....after the LeBlanc takeover, all instruments had to conform to a new lettering system. Mike Suter would tell you that double valves started quite early with a 269 designation, of which only a handful were made....looked much like early 180 models. Build quality went gradually downhill after the takeover. .... silly little penny pinching economies like the valve check buffer plates going from cast to thin sheet that would bend in a strong wind.
All Holtons are different...a bit like Bachs....never played two the same....I still have a 169.... total beater...unsellable.. but the best I have owned blow and sound wise... if only they were still in fashion.

Chris
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

RConrad wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:10 pm
HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:14 pm Picked up a TR185 with the second rotor this morning and am hoping the shipping time won’t be too long as it’s coming international. Excited to receive the horn as I’ve never played a Holton bass before.
I'm hoping one day in the future I can find me a TR185 and my wife won't kick me out for getting another trombone. Would love to see some pictures and hear your thoughts on the one you picked up once you get some time with it!
Horn arrived today from Japan via DHL. It arrived rather quickly considering it was an international package and was shipped out on the 28th of August. Anyways, here’s some photos. This one has a 9 3/8” bell and will be sent to my local tech for a chem cleaning once they open back up. Slides and valves seem fine, but I’m sure it’ll be better once my tech goes through it. It does have a small repair on the bell where it looks like it was previously creased. Even then, I got this horn at a heck of a price so I’m a happy camper!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Drew A.
Professional bum.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Congratulations! :good:

I can see it has the optional second valve in Eb that slts in the tuningslide of the first valve; what I've heard labelled as "birds nest". I don't know if this is the correct nomenclature though? I think it is a good name that describes that configuration.

One of my TR185 is like that. The other is converted to use the middle finger with the second valve and also uses a D-slide. Those two conversions are good to make it a lot easier to play and more usable. Then it can compete with any other double valve horn.

I said earlier I could not see why I would need to use the factitious notes on a double. Well, I had forgotten about this one.

When I play a horn where the triggers are so old fashion and so difficult to switch between then the factitious notes are also a savoir on the double. That second valve solves my problem with loud long sustained C's and B's but fast switching between valves are nearly impossible.
If I have to switch fast back and fourth between triggers, like B, D, B, D in sixteenth then the factitious note for B is the solution. The original trigger system of the TR185 is really terrible for a fast switch. With a little bit of "factitious notes" it is a very nice horn and can be very usable even in original setup.

/Tom

Return to “Instruments”