Value Conn 6h

dxhall

Value Conn 6h

Post by dxhall »

I am tempted to purchase a 50s Conn 6h. Any opinions on the market value of a nice one? There are quite a few on ebay, but not that many real sales.
hyperbolica

Re: Value Conn 6h

Post by hyperbolica »

For a nice one from the 50s, $1500 wouldn't be unreasonable, depending of course on condition.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Um... only a gorgeous and rather exceptional 6H will bring that kind of money. 6H's seems to be on somewhat of a down cycle right now. They generally bring $500 to $700. A really nice one will fetch $1000. Only the truly special ones get above that. In my experience...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

I think Greenbean may be right. There’s a nice 6h on eBay right now with no bidders at a $721 opening bid. Have the professionals moved on and left these old jazz horns to the amateurs? Or, in my case, to posers with Tommy Dorsey sheet music?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Ah, but Dorsey played a 2B, which is smaller. Rossolino was a great 6H player.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

$1500 is definitely not reasonable. I have two - one I paid around $700, and another was about $1000 from Dillons, but was in excellent condition and came with a valve and slide section. Both mid 50's Elkharts.

I recently saw one Abilene era horn listed on eBay for around $1500 - with the justification for the price being that it was owned by a "top LA studio trombone player" who just happened to be unnamed... :roll:
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

Redthunder wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 am $1500 is definitely not reasonable. I have two - one I paid around $700, and another was about $1000 from Dillons, but was in excellent condition and came with a valve and slide section. Both mid 50's Elkharts.
...and both these horns didn't need any realignment and were in good condition cosmetically?
I think $1,000 is pretty reasonable for a horn that needs nothing.
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Arrowhead wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm ...and both these horns didn't need any realignment and were in good condition cosmetically?
No realignment necessary, and yes, in good condition cosmetically.

$1,000 is still high, comparatively for these horns. They just don't pull the same kind of money that other vintage horns have. But, that also makes sense. You can find lots of old 2bs and 3bs in great shape that go for lots of money, but these are often quite upscale with Gold and silver bells, etc. compare those to what your run of the mill Brass 3B gets, and it's not that much more than a 6H, and they didn't ever have much variation in terms of bell or slide options. Greg Waits, who was active on the old forum, frequently buys and sells 6Hs and 6H parts, and plays them himself. I purchased my $700 6H from him. I've never seen him sell one for much more than that.
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

Redthunder wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 pm
Arrowhead wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm ...and both these horns didn't need any realignment and were in good condition cosmetically?
No realignment necessary, and yes, in good condition cosmetically.

$1,000 is still high, comparatively for these horns. They just don't pull the same kind of money that other vintage horns have. But, that also makes sense. You can find lots of old 2bs and 3bs in great shape that go for lots of money, but these are often quite upscale with Gold and silver bells, etc. compare those to what your run of the mill Brass 3B gets, and it's not that much more than a 6H, and they didn't ever have much variation in terms of bell or slide options. Greg Waits, who was active on the old forum, frequently buys and sells 6Hs and 6H parts, and plays them himself. I purchased my $700 6H from him. I've never seen him sell one for much more than that.
I had an extra 6H that I put up for bid on Ebay a few years ago. It was on auction for 7 days. The highest bidder came in at $150. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Instead of canceling the auction, I decided to let the guy have it for that price- HE GOT LUCKY. Honestly, it didn't need anything-no realignment or anything. Sure, a bit of plating wear here and there, but nothing too bad....
I also put up for bid a King 2103 that I bought brand new back in 2007. Played for a few years and ended up getting really frustrated with it because it played "dead". The highest bidder paying me $950 in the end (for a piece of crap). The 6H I had was definitely the "better horn" but sold for next to nothing. Comparatively speaking, "market value" isn't always justified. :wink:
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

Redthunder wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 am I recently saw one Abilene era horn listed on eBay for around $1500 - with the justification for the price being that it was owned by a "top LA studio trombone player" who just happened to be unnamed... :roll:
I have Les Benedict's old horn. A 1957 Elkhart 6H. He removed the oversleeves to lighten the slide, and it has 3 leadpipes - the original, a Conn 2, and a Conn 3. Great player!! He only let it go because he is now playing a Rath. Told me sometimes he wished he had it back. I like the heavier bell of the late 50's horns. You can push it without breaking up.

I traded my Bach 34B for the 6H and some cash. I didn't get hurt! Both of us are happy with the deal.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I sold one with a completely refurbished slide on here for $700 a few months ago to a guy in Germany. I think it was a '63.
Trevorspaulding376

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

650-900
Basie1955

Post by Basie1955 »

How rare would a ‘65 6H with a silver bell be?
Was that a special order, or a regularly available option?
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Any 6H over $800 is pushing it unless your looking for a that has never seen the light of day. Does it have to be a 50s horn? Greenbean has a couple for sale last i look and Greg Waits had a few. Greg started a 6H club on FB. BRASS-EXCHANGE also has some nice 6Hs reasonably priced.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)

Return to “Instruments”