Edwards vs Shires

LeTromboniste

Re: Edwards vs Shires

Post by LeTromboniste »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm I have to lighten the tension here. It's been a while, but I just saw this. I feel like people beat up on these posts without unpacking them first.
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:03 pm As long as the instrument isn't damaged and has no wear on the inners, being 60 yrs old shouldn't matter. There are string instruments much older then that still being used today. And we are talking about instruments made from metal, not wood and glue.
:good: What is a lil' oxidation and corrosion, really? Metal is tough and lasts forever once exposed to biologic conditions on Earth. It is a miracle that biologically derived components (string instruments) can resist it at all.
norbie2018 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:19 pm Sometimes the obvious to you has to be stated to those not in the know. You never explained why you'd be careful recommending one.
:shuffle:
norbie2018 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 am I guess it is you who is missing the point. We were specifically talking about 60 year old Conn trombones and, by extension, any 60 year old professional grade trombone.
Always use professional grade. Professional grade mouthpiece. Professional grade tooth paste. Professional grade anything. People earning their keep always refer to the gear they use as professional grade. I drove my pro grade Ford Escape to work today. It was adequate.
norbie2018 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 pm Since you inserted yourself into the conversation, explain what I am missing which I haven't already addressed. And one is allowed to make an argument and support that argument, something I feel makes a conversation interesting. So, of course I'm trying to find the truth and what is right.
I like this. Even if you enter a conversation halfway through, it is possible for people who were already present in the discussion before you arrived to rudely insert themselves into your conversation.

Hopefully the history of trombone thread can get us to the one truth in art and we can nail this coffin closed. I too would like to arrive at the definitive solution to trombone playing.
:lol:

(and for that last part, no chance in hell! :shuffle: )
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Man, that thread died in January. Why did you resurrect it?
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Wait!
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

OK!
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

norbie2018 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:24 pm Man, that thread died in January. Why did you resurrect it?
wasn't me!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

:biggrin:

Edwards!!!

(just thought I would pile on)

:biggrin:
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Keven

Post by Keven »

2021 Thoughts for the Edwards Vs Shires debate?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Small US family-owned company vs wholly owned subsidiary of Chinese corporation?
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

Slideorama wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 pm Noah - put that money in the bank.
Conventionally, that would be a good idea, however, consider the ramifications.

Will the same money buy the same trombone in a few years?

In a few years that money is worth less, and we know trombones go up $$$ and up $$$ every year.

Or perhaps just buy used Shires or Edwards?
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

It’s very hard to say. I do think that Shires has the momentum currently on their side, not just by swaying major players their way but also is many others who earn their income playing trombone. Good quality, many different options, innovations coming from them. Great customer service.

Then again: As good as they are, I do not think they roll over Edwards the way Edwards rolled over everyone else when they started their line of trombones. I am sure every Edwards player can find a great Shires that makes him switch....but also vice versa. Both offer so many options. Personally, can not yet shake the feeling that Shires is still hoping to do what Edwards did back then. Offer such an innovative trombone building concept, that has not been seen before. Really being unique like Edwards was back when. Despite their different options of valves for instance, I still have the feeling that they are currently copying the concepts of Edwards...but better, rather than coming up with a unique new concept of trombone making like MW trombones, for instance. Also, the creative power of Mr. Griego is really quite something, a wildcard, if you will. I keep seeing Facebook posts about new ideas becoming reality....who knows.

I am grateful t high level companies like these, are pushing each other for innovation and excellence. Quite inspiring.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

RustBeltBass wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm Then again: As good as they are, I do not think they roll over Edwards the way Edwards rolled over everyone else when they started their line of trombones.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this around the time Steve Shires was spinning bells for Edwards?
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

^ Mr. Shires worked for Getzen/ Edwards for a short time. So did Mr. Greenhoe. I don’t think either would say they are the reason for Edwards success.
Btw if this is a real question: get fit to a Shires by Sam/ Alexis and get fit to a Edwards by Christan/ Mike. See which one works better for you.
tombone21

Post by tombone21 »

When Edwards was just starting out, they were only making bell sections that could bolt up to a Bach slide. And they were importing Thayer valves, so the only thing they were doing in-house was the bell, tuning slide, and valve tubing. If anything it was more important for Edwards to get the bells right back then. Those old 90s Edwards horns are very desirable to certain people. The person behind the mandrel matters. Look to the Peppy (Peppi?) Bach bells. If it didn't matter, then why does the Q Series' mere existence put so many people off?
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 pm Small US family-owned company vs wholly owned subsidiary of Chinese corporation?
+1
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
btone

Post by btone »

This thread ended so contentiously it appears to have been abandoned before anyone got around to posting what its title lead me to hope for--some thoughtful views on the relative virtues of Edwards and Shires. What a shame; that might have been interesting..
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

btone wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:52 pm This thread ended so contentiously it appears to have been abandoned before anyone got around to posting what its title lead me to hope for--some thoughtful views on the relative virtues of Edwards and Shires. What a shame; that might have been interesting..
well, it's a bit of a silly question. It's two boutique makers with thousands of possible combinations. What is there to say?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tbonepts

Post by Tbonepts »

Another vote for Edwards. It’s easier to root for the underdogs. More fun, too!
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

So, who won?
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

JeffBone44 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:42 pm So, who won?
Depends on who you ask ;-). Personally, I think Edwards is overall on top (again).
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

RustBeltBass wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:53 pm
JeffBone44 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:42 pm So, who won?
Depends on who you ask ;-). Personally, I think Edwards is overall on top (again).
I'll always be a Shires guy
Jmloudon

Post by Jmloudon »

I think this conversation needs a more detailed comparison between the two brands. Whose ferrules are better? Do both companies hand-make the spit valve springs? How much 24k gold is used in their gold brass?

Only when these questions are answered will we be able to crown a true winner.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:16 pm ^ Mr. Shires worked for Getzen/ Edwards for a short time. So did Mr. Greenhoe. I don’t think either would say they are the reason for Edwards success.
Btw if this is a real question: get fit to a Shires by Sam/ Alexis and get fit to a Edwards by Christan/ Mike. See which one works better for you.
This is the best advice anyone will ever get in this thread! To each his/her own!

Jim Scott
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Jmloudon wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:15 pm I think this conversation needs a more detailed comparison between the two brands. Whose ferrules are better? Do both companies hand-make the spit valve springs? How much 24k gold is used in their gold brass?

Only when these questions are answered will we be able to crown a true winner.
Very true. And then there is the engraving aspect, and we haven't even started to talk about accessories. And how about SWAG ?

Return to “Instruments”