B&S MS 14

norbie2018

B&S MS 14

Post by norbie2018 »

Has anyone had experience with this instrument? I know it comes in several configurations.

Thanks!
norbie2018

Re: B&S MS 14

Post by norbie2018 »

Anybody?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

B&S Meistersinger series?
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Yes, the MS14 is their large bore tenor.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I'd like to hear more, too, especially if people have played them. I feel like these days almost everyone makes a great trombone.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Not everybody. See the comments under my "Mirage Trombone" topic...
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

I know it was (at least initially) designed by Carl Lenthe who played an 88h for a very long time. My passing impression of it is that it's an orchestral 88h with lots of German touches.
JesusVicente

Post by JesusVicente »

Hello Norbie, I've been testing a MS14KN-L for four days, and I've almost decide to keep it. I will tell you next week about my feelings day to day, because I have changed my conception and appreciation of the trombone througout this week. For example, finally I play with the goldbrass leadpipe, despite the first day I didn't like it at all.
It is a very different trombone (I used to play alessi Edwards model), but I like the darker sound, neat attacks and general playability.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

JesusVicente wrote: ↑Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 am Hello Norbie, I've been testing a MS14KN-L for four days, and I've almost decide to keep it. I will tell you next week about my feelings day to day, because I have changed my conception and appreciation of the trombone througout this week. For example, finally I play with the goldbrass leadpipe, despite the first day I didn't like it at all.
It is a very different trombone (I used to play alessi Edwards model), but I like the darker sound, neat attacks and general playability.
Sounds great! What is the KN-L designation?
JesusVicente

Post by JesusVicente »

norbie2018 wrote: ↑Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:40 am

N:Clear lacquer, nickel silver outer slides
K: bell with nickel silver garland
Not sure about de "l" πŸ˜‰

I bought it here https://m.thomann.de/es/bs_ms14kn_l_bb_f_trombone.htm

The trombone sounds very wide, despite it changes focused sound depending on every leadpipe. I think not as focused as edwards, but wider in other aspects of sound. Low notes and f.attachment are amazing, high notes a bit harder than other brands. On other hand, tuning positions are different too, but not too much.
I.m very glad with it because i like its sound, responde and construction. I don.t tell my students abouit buying it because edwards bach or shires are more standard for orquestral auditions (except in central europe I guess) but as I use it for chamber, classes and with piano and you can play loud too, it fits me very well. I can send you 1 or 2 recordings if you like.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

JesusVicente wrote: ↑Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:41 am
norbie2018 wrote: ↑Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:40 am

N:Clear lacquer, nickel silver outer slides
K: bell with nickel silver garland
Not sure about de "l" πŸ˜‰

I bought it here https://m.thomann.de/es/bs_ms14kn_l_bb_f_trombone.htm

The trombone sounds very wide, despite it changes focused sound depending on every leadpipe. I think not as focused as edwards, but wider in other aspects of sound. Low notes and f.attachment are amazing, high notes a bit harder than other brands. On other hand, tuning positions are different too, but not too much.
I.m very glad with it because i like its sound, responde and construction. I don.t tell my students abouit buying it because edwards bach or shires are more standard for orquestral auditions (except in central europe I guess) but as I use it for chamber, classes and with piano and you can play loud too, it fits me very well. I can send you 1 or 2 recordings if you like.
If you don't mind sending the recordings I'd appreciate it.
JesusVicente

Post by JesusVicente »

norbie2018 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 am If you don't mind sending the recordings I'd appreciate it.
Hello, as I promised, I send you a file to show the trombone sound. I cut some excerpts from this morning practice, different styles, only for friendly purposes :wink: please don't judge me hard :bassclef:

The sound we like and the sound we produce is very personal on each one, but maybe it can help you about the B&S trombone. I'd like to tell you too that I like its sound very much, but it is not an easy trombone, it takes pretty air and I find other trombones a bit easier to play. Maybe you can test it and others and tell me, I'd appreciate it very much mate.

Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

JesusVicente wrote: ↑Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 am
norbie2018 wrote: ↑Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 am If you don't mind sending the recordings I'd appreciate it.
Hello, as I promised, I send you a file to show the trombone sound. I cut some excerpts from this morning practice, different styles, only for friendly purposes :wink: please don't judge me hard :bassclef:

The sound we like and the sound we produce is very personal on each one, but maybe it can help you about the B&S trombone. I'd like to tell you too that I like its sound very much, but it is not an easy trombone, it takes pretty air and I find other trombones a bit easier to play. Maybe you can test it and others and tell me, I'd appreciate it very much mate.

Don't know much about the horn, but you sound absolutely great playing it!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

JesusVicente wrote: ↑Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 am

You sound GREAT! I had the local B&S authorized dealer requesting both the stock model and the model you have, but they wouldn't send the one with the nickel kranz unless I bought it first. I'm excited to try some version of it.
JesusVicente

Post by JesusVicente »

Neo Bri wrote: ↑Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am Don't know much about the horn, but you sound absolutely great playing it!
Oh, thanks, you are very kind
norbie2018 wrote: ↑Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 pm You sound GREAT! I had the local B&S authorized dealer requesting both the stock model and the model you have, but they wouldn't send the one with the nickel kranz unless I bought it first. I'm excited to try some version of it.
Yeah, please tell me your feelings about it when you test it. Recently I've tested Adams and Bach Centennial and I liked them very much too, despite I finally got the B&S.

Greetings
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Circling back to see if anyone has played the B&S MS14 and what your impressions are/were.. Thanks
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Fafner wrote: ↑Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:29 am I know it was (at least initially) designed by Carl Lenthe who played an 88h for a very long time. My passing impression of it is that it's an orchestral 88h with lots of German touches.
Given Carl's history with the 88H, it's no surprise that the Stolzing (MS14) feels and sounds like exactly that. He was my professor in undergrad and I ended up trying his Stolzing, a couple Sarastros (production and pre-production), and a couple Erde altos (prototype and pre-production). They were all wonderful instruments. The Stolzing has a lovely dark yet colorful sound...definitely darker than your typical 88H.

I'll admit, the Stolzing didn't leave as much of an impression as the Sarastro (MS27) did (which is an awesomely dark Teutonic bass trombone), which didn't leave as much of an impression as the Erde did (which...well I've posted plenty about it before). But it is certainly a fantastic orchestral trombone.

Return to β€œInstruments”