Griego mouthpieces

yhc

Griego mouthpieces

Post by yhc »

Hello everyone.
I have two questions:

1. I recently started using a Greek 2 Nouveau mouthpiece for my bass trombone. I had originally ordered the NY mpc but the store sent me the Nouveau. I find the rim thickness of is smaller. I don't know if the NY mpc is the same Thickness or is wider than the Nouveau.

2. Its is correct to say that the deeper a mpc is more difficult is it to be able to play the notes of high registers? I was using a Yamaha mpc and I found the I can play the high notes more easy than the Griegos.

Thanks for your advice!!!
Vegasbound

Re: Griego mouthpieces

Post by Vegasbound »

If a mouthpiece is wrong for you, it's wrong no matter what the makers name

What size Yamaha? Why did you change?
yhc

Post by yhc »

The Yamaha is 59 GP
yhc

Post by yhc »

I change to get a better sound. I play a Griego 5M for my tenor trombone and I like the sound that produce.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I became a fan of Griego mouthpieces when i bought a CS5 for my 8H. Since then I've bought a CS1 for my bass, 6.5 ss for my 78H, and 5M NY both large and small shank. All work great for the instruments i use them for and that's why i bought them.

What makes mouthpiece buying a chore is 2 things that i think are necessary in a mouthpiece.
1. Comfort.
2. The sound it helps produce.
That's why it's maddening searching for that one mpc that covers those 2 criteria.

Imho
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Griego states that the rims of their models are the same regardless of the weight of the blank. So it shouldn’t matter whether you have the NY blank or the Nouveau blank.

It sounds like the Griego may have a slightly smaller rim but a slightly deeper cup than the Yamaha. The Griego probably also has a larger throat and backbore, and I would guess that the cup shape and volume are larger, too. All those things could account for the loss of range. Maybe you’re used to the rim size of the Yamaha. If you like the sound you produce with the Griego, and it starts to feel comfortable, why not stick with it? On the other hand, if you notice that (aside from range) your playing suffers, maybe it’s not the right mouthpiece for you.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
yhc

Post by yhc »

Yes Kbiggs, I think what I'm observing when I play is what you are mentioning. But the sound is very good especially the low notes and pedals. So I'll keep practicing to get used to the mouthpiece. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Mouthpieces”