Best euphonium mouthpiece for trombone doubling

ChuckTbone

Best euphonium mouthpiece for trombone doubling

Post by ChuckTbone »

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good euphonium pith price for a small shank euphonium when I mostly play large shank trombone (conn 88h) I’ve noticed when I switch over from euphonium to trombone my tone is terrible. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Burgerbob

Re: Best euphonium mouthpiece for trombone doubling

Post by Burgerbob »

Denis Wick 4AY and a whole bunch of practice
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:50 pm Denis Wick 4AY and a whole bunch of practice
Seconded.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

ChuckTbone wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a good euphonium pith price for a small shank euphonium when I mostly play large shank trombone (conn 88h) I’ve noticed when I switch over from euphonium to trombone my tone is terrible. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Depends what mouthpiece you use on trombone. 4AY isn't a bad recommendation if you play something roughly 4-sized on trombone. If you play something more 5G-ish on trombone, try a 51D for euph.
Richard3rd

Post by Richard3rd »

I don't think diameter is anything to worry about. I went from cornet to tuba during my practice today. You just have to get used to playing both instruments with the mouthpiece that makes each sound the best.
Richard

King 2280 Euphonium
King 1130 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Richard3rd wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:01 pm I don't think diameter is anything to worry about. I went from cornet to tuba during my practice today. You just have to get used to playing both instruments with the mouthpiece that makes each sound the best.
Not everybody can do that. My chops only seem to work in a certain diameter range.

Euph requires more depth than trombone . If you go Doug Elliott, selection is easy. Whatever rim size with a J cup and J8 shank.

I've used DW SM3 or SM3u. You can also get SM4 or SM4u if you prefer something smaller. These are nice euph pieces.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Richard3rd wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:01 pm I don't think diameter is anything to worry about. I went from cornet to tuba during my practice today. You just have to get used to playing both instruments with the mouthpiece that makes each sound the best.
If one is struggling with the transition when switching mouthpieces, then yes diameter probably is something to worry about.
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

It depends on what you like. Here’s what I use.

Bass-Hammond 21BXL (perfect for me)
Large Tenor-Hammond 10ML (best so far)
Besson Euph-Wick 4.5AL (perfect for me)
Willson Euph-Wick 4AL (best so far)
Small Tenor-Schilke 51D (eh so far)

I spend a lot of time on bass and large tenor. When I play Euph it is in brass choir and so a more soloistic sound tends to be ok otherwise my sound can get lost in the trombones and tubas. Personally I prefer different mouthpieces and only focus on how the sound is and if the mouthpiece slots well with the horn.
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Denis Wick 4AY and Schilke 51D are great recommendations. I want to add Yamaha 52, which also works great with a small shank euphonium imo.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

mbtrombone wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 pm It depends on what you like. Here’s what I use.

I spend a lot of time on bass and large tenor. When I play Euph it is in brass choir and so a more soloistic sound tends to be ok otherwise my sound can get lost in the trombones and tubas. Personally I prefer different mouthpieces and only focus on how the sound is and if the mouthpiece slots well with the horn.
A 51D is a bit deep for a small tenor. You may find a 51 (no letter) to be a better choice. Also, most of your choices for tenor and Euph are in the 3G-4G (Bach numbers) range. Maybe a Bach 4C would work better for small tenor.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:57 am
mbtrombone wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:41 pm It depends on what you like. Here’s what I use.

A 51D is a bit deep for a small tenor. You may find a 51 (no letter) to be a better choice. Also, most of your choices for tenor and Euph are in the 3G-4G (Bach numbers) range. Maybe a Bach 4C would work better for small tenor.
I had both of those for a bit, but lent them out when I got rid of my Small Bore horns. Now all I have that are small receiver are euphoniums and my Conn 18H which I only use in teaching demos. Someday I might need something else for a small bore tenor and I will keep those in mind. Back when I had a small tenor I was using a Wick Heritage 10CS.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

If you can, I’d have a large shank receiver put on the euph. Way more good euph mouthpiece options and you can probably get away with using your trombone mouthpiece.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
NorthernEuph

Post by NorthernEuph »

I noticed in your profile that your euph is a Yamaha 201 model. If you are at all serious about the euphonium, try to get your hands on a used YEP-321 - there's lots of them out there and they can be fitted with a large shank leadpipe. With the right mouthpiece, those instruments respond very well and produce a characteristic sound. Regardless of what mouthpiece you end up using, you need to use your air differently between trombone and euphonium. That will go a LONG way to your being able to switch between the two.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Personally I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 4A/4G in a eupho.
I currently use a 2 in my eupho ( also in my bass due to injury), 5 in large & medium bore tenors ( also baritone when I have to), 6.5 in small bore.

Treat them as different instruments and find what works for you.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I tried to consider the euph mouthpiece as a function of my tbone mouthpiece, but that doesn't work. Someone else said you have to consider them as different instruments with different mouthpiece needs, and indeed different ways of using the air and articulations. It's true. The euph mouthpiece might be the same diameter as the bone mouthpiece, but it has to be deeper. And you can't just use a bass bone mouthpiece in the euph, you miss a lot of things like that, like flexibility, volume control, air balls, upper range.... I tried for a year to make that work, and eventually I just broke down and got a dedicated euph mouthpiece. Works much better. Dont try to cross the euph and tbone mouthpiece streams.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Born and raised on euphonium, but my tenor trombone gets about 3 times the play time. Olds euphonium with large shank Olds 3 mouthpiece good for lows and up to Bb on top of staff. Primarily use small shank Bach 12c with adapter for most playing, usually in Bb to F above staff range works in euphonium fine. Any higher I switch to the Bach 12 SC from my trombone, again with adapter, This mouthpiece gives me the best sound in both horns, but has a limited low end in the euphonium…lows and pedals easy on trombone with this mp plus high Bb and beyond.
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

The Brian Bowman BB1 is also a fantastic mouthpiece to consider.
Monkhouse

Post by Monkhouse »

Which horn are you playing first are you doing a routine on each instrument? In college my chops felt different, and my sound was different depending on which horn I played my warm up and routine on. I think I had more success warming up on trombone, and then going to euph. I used different diameter pieces for both. I am primarily a euph player, but if I warmed up on euph my trombone sound didn't quite get there. The approach to each is slightly different, and I'd have a more open sound when warming up on trombone. These problems didn't effect my euph tone significantly, so I would just warm up on trombone. Probably because I had spent so much time on euph over the years.

Return to “Mouthpieces”