mouthpiece for King 606

Diana6

mouthpiece for King 606

Post by Diana6 »

I'm looking for a mouthpiece for my son to use for marching band. I found a really nice condition Cleveland King 606 (.500 bore) but he doesn't like the Benge 12C that came with it. He also tried a Bach 7C that he has but says it's uncomfortable to play for a long time. He wants a MP that will give him good strong volume and comfortable.

He has never tried a 6 1/2 AL so he doesn't know how comfortable they are. He uses a Marc ET1.7 Whigham on his Yamaha 356R and loves it but doesn't want to risk damage to it while marching. Looking for something used or new that's inexpensive.

Any suggestions?
8parktoollover

Re: mouthpiece for King 606

Post by 8parktoollover »

Can't go wrong with bach 6 1/2 al also inexpensive.
davebb

Post by davebb »

Faxx 6-1/2AL - Even more inexpensive.
afugate

Post by afugate »

davebb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:40 am Faxx 6-1/2AL - Even more inexpensive.
Inexpensive, but still a good mouthpiece.

--Andy in OKC
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Faxx 6 and 1/2
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Can he say exactly why the 7C or 12C is uncomfortable? There are other mouthpieces with slightly (or majorly) different contours. Some others like the 7C:

Wick 7CS or 6BS (he may love the rim or hate it -- seems there is no middle ground)
Schilke 50
Yamaha 48

Also look at Kelly plastic mouthpieces -- good for cold weather and don't get damaged if you drop them
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

He likes a flatter rim with a less sharp inside edge. It looks like maybe the Faxx 6 1/2AL might have this profile vs a Bach 6 1/2 AL.

What is the rim like on a Yamaha 48?

Also, how do the Kelly plastic MP's play compared with metal? The band is small and he wants to play loud and strong.

Thanks
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

If he likes a flatter rim I would recommned Denis Wick. Either the 7CS or 6BS.

Personally, I hate the Bach 6.5AL, but I see why it has a place in band programs. FWIW, I put all of my private students on 6.5AL's. I recently played on a Bach 6.5A (no L), and thought it was far superior to the 6.5AL. It must be the way I play.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Diana6 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:11 am ...

Also, how do the Kelly plastic MP's play compared with metal? The band is small and he wants to play loud and strong.

Thanks
A Kelly is not going to be as loud as a metal mouthpiece. Its main advantage is that it won't freeze to your mouth in cold weather and it survives rough service on the marching field. It's also inexpensive.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

davebb wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:40 am Faxx 6-1/2AL - Even more inexpensive.
Basically a cheaper copy but good but all the manufacturers have copies of bach mps
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Also after some research I revealed that the marc is eqeivelent to a bach 11c. Yamaha 48 is the same as the 6 1/2 . The wick 6bs would be a great choice but it's a bit more expensive bit see if you can find something used on the classified section or ebay.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I just saw a wick 7cs in classified for 85 dollars if you'r interested
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

And a 6bs
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Just amke sure that they arr small shank
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Diana6 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:11 am He likes a flatter rim with a less sharp inside edge. It looks like maybe the Faxx 6 1/2AL might have this profile vs a Bach 6 1/2 AL.

What is the rim like on a Yamaha 48?

Thanks
Diana,

Both Yamaha 48 and Faxx 6½AL would be perfectly good for your son, if he likes the feel. Either would allow him to play with plenty of volume. Yamaha 48 small-shank mouthpieces are plentiful, affordable, and usually available used for a low price - probably from TromboneChat members. An inexpensive way to see what works for him. :clever:

Good luck.
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

Thanks all for the replies.

We've been reading about the mouthpieces that were suggested here. The Yamaha 48 sounds like a good choice. The 6 1/2AL Faxx and Bach sound fine but we have read that they are airhogs? from a few different sources and that the Bach 6 1/2AM or 6 1/2A might be a better choice, especially for a smaller kid. I know this all comes down to personal choice though.

I think I'll start looking for a Yam 48, as my budget is under $40.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Diana6 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm Thanks all for the replies.

We've been reading about the mouthpieces that were suggested here. The Yamaha 48 sounds like a good choice. The 6 1/2AL Faxx and Bach sound fine but we have read that they are airhogs? from a few different sources and that the Bach 6 1/2AM or 6 1/2A might be a better choice, especially for a smaller kid. I know this all comes down to personal choice though.

I think I'll start looking for a Yam 48, as my budget is under $40.
You should be able to locate a small-shank Yamaha 48 for <$40. :good:

The Bach 6½AM is very close to the 6½AL - same cup (25.40mm I.D.), just a tad smaller throat (6.53mm). The 6½A is also the same cup, but has a much smaller throat (5.85mm), so will require less air. But not so readily available.

The Yamaha 48 has a slightly smaller cup (25.25mm) than the 6½ series, but does have a large (6.62mm) throat. I still speculate that your son will be O.K with it – but if he needs something smaller there are other choices, such as a Bach 6¾C (25.00mm cup, 5.85mm throat) or Schilke 47 (25.0mm cup, 5.95mm throat) - but probably a bit more expensive.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

First question I always ask is what his teacher suggested? He should always talk to his teacher about any equipment change, and if he doesn't have one then he needs to get one

A 61/2 sized mouthpiece is not an air hog, it will be deeper than his Jiggs mouthpiece which is about 11c sized, a 61/2 or a wick 6 sized piece will serve him well in the 606 and the horn he tries to convince you to buy next year and of course both come in large shank options when the time arises and he says he needs that 'boutique Bb & F' trombone that costs more than a decent used car
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

Vegasbound wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:57 am First question I always ask is what his teacher suggested? He should always talk to his teacher about any equipment change, and if he doesn't have one then he needs to get one

A 61/2 sized mouthpiece is not an air hog, it will be deeper than his Jiggs mouthpiece which is about 11c sized, a 61/2 or a wick 6 sized piece will serve him well in the 606 and the horn he tries to convince you to buy next year and of course both come in large shank options when the time arises and he says he needs that 'boutique Bb & F' trombone that costs more than a decent used car
His teacher said to try a 6 1/2 as a suggestion, so that's why I'm asking about them. I want to make a good decision the first time, as I do not like to have to buy again.

As for buying trombones... I bought 3 trombones for my son, one for jazz, one to keep at school for band as they don't provide a decent instrument, and one for marching. They are all really nice instruments and totaled less than $900. He's more than satisfied with them.

Looking for a used 6 1/2A or AM, but might settle for a 6 1/2AL or Yam 48.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Then I would buy a 61/2 if that is his teachers recommendation a solid all round mouthpiece, as others have said the faux 61/2 is a good copy and cheaper to buy new, you could try posting an ad in some of the trombone mouthpiece groups on Facebook or here in the classifieds

I prefer the wick rims to Bach and so it may be worth trying a 6bs simialr in cup size to the Bach, eBay again for either mouthpiece is a good place to start

Next time your son needs to buy an instrument you should contact member DJ Kennedy he has many many fine used trombones and he is the trombone whisperer and has the uncanny ability to provide just the right instrument to a player
SirJohn

Post by SirJohn »

Does his teacher or his school band program have any that he can use on a trial basis? A lot of band programs end up with a large box of orphaned mouthpieces that they then lend out to students. The 6.5al is such a common piece that someone should have one laying around for him to at least try for a bit to see if it works. If not, you are talking about a mouthpiece that can be had for very little money. The 6.5al does have a larger throat and backbore than the Bach c style mouthpieces so it is true that it blows more open with less resistance (not an airhog by any stretch, though,) but the Yamaha 48 is very close to the same and neither are all that open relative to larger mouthpieces.

I would follow the teacher's advice and get the 6.5al. There's a reason why it is a go to mouthpiece for a lot of students.
Diana6

Post by Diana6 »

I did purchase one from DJ. He has also gave me advice on the other instruments I bought. He's a super nice guy too!

Return to “Mouthpieces”