Who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND plays a 5G?

paulyg

Who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND plays a 5G?

Post by paulyg »

I just thought I'd kick the hornet's nest and start a tenor trombone themed thread a-la the the 1.5G thread down below.

I've never had luck reaching my full potential on a 5G... but I am jealous of those who do.

Let's discuss these smaller (?) tenor pieces here.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Burgerbob

Re: Who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND plays a 5G?

Post by Burgerbob »

I use a 5GS on my 3B... Does that count? :pant:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

After spending like 3 years on only 1.05 and 1.06 rims, I downsized to this 5.25 (1.02). I honestly don't know how I played such big stuff; everything feels better on more 'normal' stuff now. If someone posts a 5G Kitzman for sale I'll probably jump on it.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mv2541 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:58 pm After spending like 3 years on only 1.05 and 1.06 rims, I downsized to this 5.25 (1.02). I honestly don't know how I played such big stuff; everything feels better on more 'normal' stuff now. If someone posts a 5G Kitzman for sale I'll probably jump on it.
I'm playing a 5.5 right now. I don't think they really fall into the 5G category, IMO... much larger in most respects. Mine feels larger than the GB 4G/5G I have by quite a bit. Definitely not the same sound you would get from a Bach 5G.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Lots of pieces that are labelled and advertised as"5G" are actually much bigger. Published specs sometimes have little relationship to reality. Even Bach 5G's are very inconsistent, both bigger and smaller than the specs.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:14 pm
Mv2541 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:58 pm After spending like 3 years on only 1.05 and 1.06 rims, I downsized to this 5.25 (1.02). I honestly don't know how I played such big stuff; everything feels better on more 'normal' stuff now. If someone posts a 5G Kitzman for sale I'll probably jump on it.
I'm playing a 5.5 right now. I don't think they really fall into the 5G category, IMO... much larger in most respects. Mine feels larger than the GB 4G/5G I have by quite a bit. Definitely not the same sound you would get from a Bach 5G.
I totally agree, which is why I labeled it as a 1.02 sized piece. If we are talking broad terms, I definitely don't think the 5.25 feels/sounds like a traditional '5G' but I also don't think it sounds quite like a '4G' either. Maybe a good simile would be Griego 2 is to Bach 1.5 as GB NY 5.25/5.5 is to Bach 5G?

I was meaning to say that I have been wanting to get something closer to a classic 5, and perhaps the smaller everything (especially throat?) of the Kitzman will be closer to a traditional 5G.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
JustinM

Post by JustinM »

I play symphonic tenor on a mouthpiece much smaller than a 5G--basically a 7C but one of Doug Elliott's rims. It's the ONLY thing that's ever worked for me for longer than the honeymoon period and I've had this for years. It's all about your facial structure. Don't let people pressure you into playing equipment that's too big just because that's what "everyone" does!
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I played 5g range mouthpieces for years until I discovered larger rims suit me better. It's a matter of trial and error sometimes.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

PSA:

Greg Black NY/Alessi 5 point anything is larger than a normal 5G.

Griego Alessi 5 (any letter) is larger than a normal 5G.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

When I was regularly playing large-bore tenor (some years ago), I found my sweet spot was a Schilke 51 (better for me than a Bach 5G). I've now found a few other pieces that are at least as good (for me) – but all in (roughly) the same size range. :idk:
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I use 5G-ish (actually Yamaha 51D) on small shank euphonium, and sometimes tenor trombone when I have to demonstrate to students. I quite like it, but that said, I don't often play the instruments that need the mouthpiece.

I also used Yamaha 51B for a short time as a "cheating" mouthpiece on my bass trombone. You can guess it did not work out very well. The mouthpiece is now rest in one of the school horn's case, disused. Maybe I will give it to one of the student playing euphonium later.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I play a gold 5G Megatone on my .547, and a 5 (or DE equivalent) on my small bores.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I don't understand why you would be jealous of people who "reach their full potential" on a 5G if something else works better for you. Kareem Abdul Jabbar couldn't reach his full potential if he wore size 10 shoes no matter how badly he tried.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

C'mon...a 5G might be way too big for some players. Not everyone needs an 'Alessi/bass trombone' size piece on their tenor trombone.

For every player using something larger than a 5G equivalent, you'll find amazing sounds from players with something smaller that might actually suit their individual face and horn requirement.

There are "many roads to Rome".
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I'm not speaking for the previous poster, but I took him to mean that Abdul would be restricted from reaching his full potential if he used the wrong sized shoes, much like a trombone player would be restricted with the wrong mp size. I thought the point was clear.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:29 am I'm not speaking for the previous poster, but I took him to mean that Abdul would be restricted from reaching his full potential if he used the wrong sized shoes, much like a trombone player would be restricted with the wrong mp size. I thought the point was clear.
:good:
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I used a 5g through high school and into conservatory. There is nothing inherently wrong with the size. At that time, I had a great range, high and low, which was a function of practice, and wasn't limited in any way by the mouthpiece. These days I use a much bigger mouthpiece, and my low range has kind of disappeared. But I don't play as much as I used to either.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:29 am I'm not speaking for the previous poster, but I took him to mean that Abdul would be restricted from reaching his full potential if he used the wrong sized shoes, much like a trombone player would be restricted with the wrong mp size. I thought the point was clear.
Schlitz attacks almost every post I make. I put them on the ignore list, so that I can't see what they post any more. Don't worry about it! :biggrin:

In this case, yes, I picked size ten because I thought that was the most common show size, sort of like a 5G. Can work for many but not all.
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

So far this thread has proven that tenor trombone players are more catty and pedantic (figure that pun out) than bass trombonists! :biggrin:
Paul Gilles
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Boy, I miss the old forum.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

norbie2018 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:11 pm Boy, I miss the old forum.
paulyg wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:50 pm So far this thread has proven that tenor trombone players are more catty and pedantic (figure that pun out) than bass trombonists! :biggrin:
Why did I even reply... And it was to someone who was sticking up for what I wrote at that.

Yet again, one person is able to put everyone else (apparently all tenor players) in a bad light based on a few replies from different people to that one specific person, none of which were even all that contentious.

I agree with Norbie at this point.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:56 pm
norbie2018 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:11 pm Boy, I miss the old forum.
paulyg wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:50 pm So far this thread has proven that tenor trombone players are more catty and pedantic (figure that pun out) than bass trombonists! :biggrin:
Why did I even reply... And it was to someone who was sticking up for what I wrote at that.

Yet again, one person is able to put everyone else (apparently all tenor players) in a bad light based on a few replies from different people to that one specific person, none of which were even all that contentious.

I agree with Norbie at this point.
Did you miss the pun? It was a shoe-in...

Just trying to keep it light, and introspective here.
Paul Gilles
Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Bringing yet another forum back to life.

I play on a 5G(D) equiv, but never from Bach. I find other companies such as Hammond, GB, Yamaha usually produce nicer sounds.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:15 am Best trombone thread ever:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... mind#p2477
Ahhh....I just went back and had a peek....2006... long time ago. lots of respected players chipping in... nice.

Chris
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

In my 547 tenor I have a 5G, I like it, it worked for me, but I really have no place to play that horn, so there is no reason to test another mpc for that horn. It was a very common mpc for 547 bore horn in Sweden just 20 years ago.
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

Would it not be better to first read the post title and comment on the subject itself, rather than to begin with the implied statement: " I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV"?
(Trust...but verify)
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I hesitate somewhat to mention this, but I am, in fact, using a Bach 5G in my single-trigger Yamaha 421G bass trombone! Love it! It enables me to play anything I want at home; from say, contrabass Eb - up to about as high as I can play on any tenor and everything in-between with remarkable clarity.

Super nice to be able to easily play a ballad using three octaves. I generally play the complicated stuff up in tenor and the slower, more mellow parts down in bass. Love the flexibility and range it allows me. I usually write my ballads out in a lower range b/c for some odd reason, it's easier for me to transpose up an octave when I want to rather than transposing down an octave. Probably just what I'm more used to.

Oh, and I check myself with a tuner relentlessly. I find no wonkiness in intonation anywhere. That "small" of a mpc actually helps me play way down low in tune better.

I don't know why this seemingly strange combination works for me and I don't really care why. All I care about is making the kind of music I want to make with the sound I want.
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Silly question.

Who in their RIGHT MIND drives Toyota Honda Ford etc. i’ve run across lots of people who like to play Holton Trombones, I never liked them. But they like them. Also people who swear by Wick mouthpieces. Not me. But they love them. People like all kinds of stuff.

The important thing is that whatever you pick to use it helps you be a better musician.
rmb796

Post by rmb796 »

Frank Chrisifulli did a real nice job for the Chicago Symphony on a Schilke 51C4 !!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Los Angeles Philharmonic back in the day:
Ralph Sauer - Schilke 51
Byron Peebles - Schilke 51C4
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

When I was a kid most trombones came with 12C mouthpieces. It got a reputation as a "starter mouthpiece" which it really didn't deserve. If your embouchure fits a 12C, it's best for you. Same for the 5G, which has now become the "average mouthpiece". If it fits you it's a great mouthpiece. But if your embouchure needs a 12C, it's a lousy mouthpiece.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I don’t see an issue with a Bach 5G.

Return to “Mouthpieces”