BrassArk/Bob Reeves CV Mouthpiece

GBP

BrassArk/Bob Reeves CV Mouthpiece

Post by GBP »

Has anybody played in this piece? What does it most compare to in terms of blow? From the pictures I have seen, the craftsmanship look very good. I might have to buy one and see how it plays.
Burgerbob

Re: BrassArk/Bob Reeves CV Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

I had one for a bit. Huge rim, definitely 95 size or even a little larger (I also had a 95 for a while). However, the cup and throat are pretty wildly different than the Laskey, making it a lot easier to play. Mine was a first-generation piece. They changed a bit afterwards. Mine was easy to play, but had a pretty bright sound. On my horn at the time it made it a bit too light. I traded it to a friend that had a very dull Shires Q series and it was a perfect match.

I'd like to play the newest generation. For what it's worth, I don't think CV himself uses one.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GBP

Post by GBP »

😳 Did he have a hand in it’s design? This maybe might in my head, but I feel like the best large pieces I have played have been designed by a good player.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

He did. They wanted to make a 95D that wasn't quite so silly. And I think it succeeded.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

All about the schilke CV, with no taper in the shank. Just a straight cylinder to go into a straight up inner slide tube with no leadpipe

What were you saying about silly designs?
GBP

Post by GBP »

Is this a “No Leadpipe” mouthpiece? That would be a deal breaker for me. I like leadpipes in my horns.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's a leadpipe mouthpiece. I think CV uses one now (maybe for a decade or so) anyway.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yes he uses one now
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

Burgerbob wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 pm He did. They wanted to make a 95D that wasn't quite so silly. And I think it succeeded.
Silly how?

I played one for a few hours today, and was surprised by just how useable it was.

Andrew
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

TheBoneRanger wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 am
Burgerbob wrote: ↑Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 pm He did. They wanted to make a 95D that wasn't quite so silly. And I think it succeeded.
Silly how?

I played one for a few hours today, and was surprised by just how useable it was.

Andrew
I don't disagree, really. I liked the one I had, it was better than my 93D. But it's still rather silly large for most players.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

I use 95D in my shires (like it, but could be a bit more efficient), cv 2.0 coming my way... will report back
GBP

Post by GBP »

This probably won’t be a piece I play regularly, but I am trying to get a better understanding of how different mouthpieces effect my sound, range etc...

I have a question; which piece did you play, standard or extra light and how did it effect your sound. I play on the dark side but not overly so, medium to dark.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not sure if you're asking all of us, but I played the standard weight. I play pretty medium dark/bright myself, and I do like the extra weight of a regular weight Greg Black to rein in my sound at higher volumes. It's the reason I can't do everything on a 93D, just too light.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Burgerbob wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 pm Not sure if you're asking all of us, but I played the standard weight. I play pretty medium dark/bright myself, and I do like the extra weight of a regular weight Greg Black to rein in my sound at higher volumes. It's the reason I can't do everything on a 93D, just too light.
Cool. I am pretty sure the standard will be best for me also. I have been emailing Noah and he mentioned there is no return policy on these pieces, so I want to make sure I am in the ball park.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

GBP wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 pm
Burgerbob wrote: ↑Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:35 pm Not sure if you're asking all of us, but I played the standard weight. I play pretty medium dark/bright myself, and I do like the extra weight of a regular weight Greg Black to rein in my sound at higher volumes. It's the reason I can't do everything on a 93D, just too light.
Cool. I am pretty sure the standard will be best for me also. I have been emailing Noah and he mentioned there is no return policy on these pieces, so I want to make sure I am in the ball park.
Be careful saying "standard". Noah has two blanks for the Brass Ark pieces "standard" and "Mercury". I believe the CV has the "Mercury" as the standard option. But the "standard" blank is super stupid heavy.

I had a Mr.Bass in the "standard" blank and it was something silly like 8 or 12 ounces in weight. It was basically a counterweight. It was stupid heavy.

So make sure you're ordering the "mercury" blank which is standard for the CV and not asking for the silly heavy "standard" blank.

Hope that made sense
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yes, I think you're right. It was the cooler shape for sure. Not too heavy, but not light.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

I just ordered one, the standard for the CV is the lighter "Mercury" blank, and the CV 2.0 is EVEN LIGHTER. It is a custom light blank.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Oooh! That CV 2.0 sounds like something I'd like!

The CV model was my favorite piece in the room along side the GP7 at ITF 2017 back when I played large pieces. Ended up sticking with my Elliott at the time but I almost bought one on the spot. You can even order the Bob Reeves stuff with custom rims if 95D sized rim is too large.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
GBP

Post by GBP »

The CV comes in a Mercury and light weights. I think Mercury is what I will try.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

I really like my cv2.0 mpc! I understand the comments on brightness, I like this brillant sound. A good match to my shires with axials. Nowhere as deep as the 95D I slso have. A lot easier to controll than the Laskey. I use the cv in a championship section brassband setting
GBP

Post by GBP »

Mine should show up sometime this week, at least I hope so. Noah created a tracking number, but hasn’t dropped off the mouthpiece at USPS yet.
Last edited by GBP on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Interesting. I guess the 2.0 is sorta like the GP6 vs normal GP. Almost two completely different pieces.

The standard CV is pretty darn similar to a 93D/95D.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
GBP

Post by GBP »

My CV came today. I have played on it just a little bit. It does seem very efficient compared to many of the other large pieces out there. For me, it has clear articulations and sound. It also blended well with a friend who was also playing a bass trombone. He didn’t like the mouthpiece. I am going to try it in a rehearsal tomorrow and see how it holds up.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Well, played it in a rehearsal, and for the most part, thumbs up. I felt like pp and ppp playing was more focused than some big pieces I have played on. Middle and upper register was clean articulations clean. The valve register wasn’t as clear and loud as I would have thought, but will put mileage on it and see.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Well After some playing on it that included a few rehearsals and a concert, I don’t think this piece fits my needs. I like the sound I get in it, but at larger volumes, that sound can get away from you if you’re not really careful. It can be difficult to keep things in focus when playing loud.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Sounds like Charlie!

Return to “Mouthpieces”