Yamaha Yeo Replica

Bach5G

Yamaha Yeo Replica

Post by Bach5G »

My Yeo Replica arrived a couple of days ago and I’ve been practicing with it on my Yam 620 bass. This is the replica, not the Signature, which is about three times as expensive. The Replica is $70 from MF, and MF almost always has at least 15% off. Free shipping too. Not too much to risk.

I’ve been pretty happy with a Kanstul GR, and, more recently, a Schilke Reichenbach. But, I wanted a big mpc to try. The Yeo is almost Schilke 60 size, just a tad smaller. Years ago, I was trying to play a Laskey 93D. Never really got comfortable with it though. Back then I tried a Yeo. It seemed huge. In hindsight, I wasn’t ready and it was too much too soon. An acquaintance plays a Signature and, frankly, he sounds unfocused and woofy.

This time around, it felt just a little bigger than what I was accustomed to. Comfortable rim. The adjustment period seems to be going fine.

I read DY’s blog on his developing the mpc and I have to say, he met his goals. My impression is that it plays very evenly through all registers, very in tune, nice sound. Easy to play, given it’s almost 29.00 mm i.d. cup. I played it in a rehearsal of Prok’s R&J suites. Not the toughest test for bass bone, but there are a few exposed moments. I was quite pleased with it.

So, definitely a keeper. There’s so much really good stuff out there! Great time to be a trombone player.
brtnats

Re: Yamaha Yeo Replica

Post by brtnats »

I really like it; I’ve been playing it for about 11 years. It does let me know when I haven’t been practicing enough.
GMB

Post by GMB »

I've also recently switched to the DY that came with my 822 and am pretty sure it's keeper. Definitely wasn't a starter when I began doubling on bass though.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I can't think of many better tests for the bass trombone than Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
GBP

Post by GBP »

The mouthpiece really is very good. I have been on a mouthpiece learning quest the last 6 months. I have bought around 10 mouthpieces, all 60 size, plus or minus. The trend I noticed, for me, was that the best large pieces in terms of overall playability, a top level player had a hand in the design. All my favorite pieces, are signature level. The have little tweeks that make them playable. Currently playing on the Bob Reeves CV and really like it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 am I can't think of many better tests for the bass trombone than Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet!
Yeah that excerpt from the Montagues and the Capulets is so juicy.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

GBP: I very much felt the same way about the Schilke Reichenbach I recently acquired.It’s like all the very minute adjustments were all made exactly the right way.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

GBP wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:39 am The trend I noticed, for me, was that the best large pieces in terms of overall playability, a top level player had a hand in the design. All my favorite pieces, are signature level.
Same. I play on 3 different Yamaha signature pieces. None of them is crazy. Each is a standard size with a few tweaks to improve performance on a particular-sized instrument.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Update: played in a big band tonight. I wonder if it lacks the bark you need in a big band. Just a little too well behaved?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's still a big piece. You'll need some chops to go with it in order to get the full range of sound.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Are we talking about practice?

Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

:good:
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

Bach5G wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 pm Update: played in a big band tonight. I wonder if it lacks the bark you need in a big band. Just a little too well behaved?
At which dynamic? It barks well and perhaps too well for me.
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

It's a nice mouthpiece, and it also isn't a total toilet bowl size, with a published inside rim diameter of 28.72mm, and an 8mm / .315" throat. That puts it just a bit smaller than a Schilke 60 / Bach 1G, and definitely smaller than caves like the Laskey 95MD. It's also got a thicker blank than many, so it doesn't have the super thin walls that many do.

I had a Yamaha 60 for a while, but never really bonded with it. I may have to try the Yeo replica.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Mouthpieces”