Converting from standard shank to Remington shank

bigbandbone

Converting from standard shank to Remington shank

Post by bigbandbone »

When I get back to my home shop in a couple of weeks I'm going to experiment with converting standard shanks to Brown and Sharpe taper shanks.
How many degrees of taper does a Brown and Sharpe taper have?
sungfw

Re: Converting from standard shank to Remington shank

Post by sungfw »

https://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Tapers.php

FWIW, there was a thread about the Remington shank on tromboneforum.org in which someone—possibly Doug Elliott(?)—mentioned that, contrary to conventional wisdom, the Remington shank was actually NOT Brown and Sharpe.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Correct. Everybody seems to refer to it as B&S but it's not. If you want to match the taper find a real Remington mouthpiece and measure.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

So what is the correct taper on the Elkhart large shank Trombones? I was under the impression it was the Brown and Sharpe taper.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:29 pm Correct. Everybody seems to refer to it as B&S but it's not. If you want to match the taper find a real Remington mouthpiece and measure.
Or, presumably he has a Remington taper leadpipe or he wouldn't need the mouthpiece. Would it be possible to insert something soft, maybe a warm piece of wax or crayon, and measure the taper that way?

Competitive rifle shooters use something called Cerrosafe to measure rifle chambers, but that seems like overkill for this.

Return to “Mouthpieces”