Synthetic Mouthpiece

PaulT

Synthetic Mouthpiece

Post by PaulT »

I am considering getting my trumpet playing kid a synthetic mouthpiece (he is in the North Dakota National Guard band and plays in some situations it might be useful, or at least nice, to have one in his arsenal). (like playing taps when it is 0 degrees)

I thought I would check in here to see if any members had experience with or information regarding synthetic mouthpieces.

I have found two brands that seem to be a cut above the $15 ones on Amazon. One brand is Kelly ($40) and the other is Brand ($60). Is one better than the other? Is either better than a $15 Mutec from Amazon? Is there another brand I should be considering?
Burgerbob

Re: Synthetic Mouthpiece

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, it's still a mouthpiece... I wouldn't call plastic mouthpiece synthetic!

Kelly is a good, well established brand. Go with them.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
HeyMan

Post by HeyMan »

There are a lot of options for synthetic rims or mpc tops, and a standard brass backbore. While the Kelly mpc's are an option, my opinion is that they would be a better match to the instrument. The reason for this is that a brass backbore will transfer the energy of the standing sound wave to the receiver, and in turn, through the instrument. With an all synthetic mpc, will be a loss of energy at the critical interface between the mpc and the instrument.
Yamaha YSL-651
"Hey, Man!" was "The Chief's" customary greeting. Emory B. Remington - Dec. 22, 1892 - Dec. 19, 1971
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Is money a focal point, because titanium does well at heating up to body temps quickly under those circumstances.
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

You may want to consider a Wedge or similar type. I can change the rim from metal to synthetic while retaining the metal shank. One plus is exact same profile. Sure feels better on the chops as it gets colder.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Is it possible to 3D print a mouthpiece? Might be interesting!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

bigbandbone wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:47 am Is it possible to 3D print a mouthpiece? Might be interesting!
Absolutely is. Trent Hamilton did a video of some 3D printed mouthpieces. Don't have the exact URL, but you might be able to search for it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

A brief follow up. I ordered a Kelly 3C "synthetic/some kind of plastic" trumpet mouthpiece for my son. The mouthpiece is smooth and well-finished. And Gus said it passed the playtest. It felt warmer and lighter than a metal 3C but it sounded and played like a 3C should and it will do the job he wanted it to do.

Return to “Mouthpieces”